RH6.0 and tape backup

Post by root » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Just upgraded from RH5.2 to 6.0.  Since then my tape drive quit
working.  Tape drive works fine whe RH 5.2 is reloaded.  What gives?

Taper, BRU, and the KDE tape tool, while they work fine under 5.2,
cannot detect the tape drive under 6.0.  I'm using a floppy tape device
(Exabyte Eagle TR-3) and attempting to use links ftape and nftape.  Both
are present in /dev and linked to the proper device.

I'd appreciate any help anybody can give.

RH6.0 and tape backup

Post by Jeff Volckaer » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You need to "insmod zftape".

Jeff Volckaert

> Just upgraded from RH5.2 to 6.0.  Since then my tape drive quit
> working.  Tape drive works fine whe RH 5.2 is reloaded.  What gives?

> Taper, BRU, and the KDE tape tool, while they work fine under 5.2,
> cannot detect the tape drive under 6.0.  I'm using a floppy tape device
> (Exabyte Eagle TR-3) and attempting to use links ftape and nftape.  Both
> are present in /dev and linked to the proper device.

> I'd appreciate any help anybody can give.

RH6.0 and tape backup

Post by Robert Woo » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You are not alone.  I am having the same problem (different tape drive).

Robert

> Just upgraded from RH5.2 to 6.0.  Since then my tape drive quit
> working.  Tape drive works fine whe RH 5.2 is reloaded.  What gives?

> Taper, BRU, and the KDE tape tool, while they work fine under 5.2,
> cannot detect the tape drive under 6.0.  I'm using a floppy tape device
> (Exabyte Eagle TR-3) and attempting to use links ftape and nftape.  Both
> are present in /dev and linked to the proper device.

> I'd appreciate any help anybody can give.

RH6.0 and tape backup

Post by Jon Smit » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for tip.  This cured my problem along with insmoding ftape.  Any
way for kernel to autoload these modules when needed other than
recompiling the kernel?

btw your help in 5 words was more than RH tech support could do in 2
days.  Hmmm.....

Jon Smith

You need to "insmod zftape".

Jeff Volckaert

Quote:> Just upgraded from RH5.2 to 6.0.  Since then my tape drive quit
> working.  Tape drive works fine whe RH 5.2 is reloaded.  What gives?

> Taper, BRU, and the KDE tape tool, while they work fine under 5.2,
> cannot detect the tape drive under 6.0.  I'm using a floppy tape device
> (Exabyte Eagle TR-3) and attempting to use links ftape and nftape.  Both
> are present in /dev and linked to the proper device.

> I'd appreciate any help anybody can give.

RH6.0 and tape backup

Post by Jeff Volckaer » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I believe the Ftape module loads automagically after Zftape is loaded.  At
least I didn't have to do anything except zftape.  You might be able to
modprobe it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to have it autoload.  If that doesn't work
than just put insmod zftape there.

I'm surprised RH didn't do a dejanews search for it.  That's where I found
when it didn't work for me.  Found it on the first page of the first search
no less.

Jeff Volckaert

> Thanks for tip.  This cured my problem along with insmoding ftape.  Any
> way for kernel to autoload these modules when needed other than
> recompiling the kernel?

> btw your help in 5 words was more than RH tech support could do in 2
> days.  Hmmm.....

> Jon Smith

> You need to "insmod zftape".

> Jeff Volckaert

> > Just upgraded from RH5.2 to 6.0.  Since then my tape drive quit
> > working.  Tape drive works fine whe RH 5.2 is reloaded.  What gives?

> > Taper, BRU, and the KDE tape tool, while they work fine under 5.2,
> > cannot detect the tape drive under 6.0.  I'm using a floppy tape device
> > (Exabyte Eagle TR-3) and attempting to use links ftape and nftape.  Both
> > are present in /dev and linked to the proper device.

> > I'd appreciate any help anybody can give.

RH6.0 and tape backup

Post by Jon Smit » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Jeff,

Thanks again.  Final solution was to add the following lines to
/etc/conf.modules:

alias ftape zftape
pre-install zftape insmod zftape

Things work just fine now.