RH 6.0 install loses IDE CD-ROM interrupt at SCSI probe

RH 6.0 install loses IDE CD-ROM interrupt at SCSI probe

Post by Ronald Van Iwaarde » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
    I have been trying to install RH 6.0 and am not being too
successful.  I have 5.2 installed and have tried ezstart.bat and making
the CD-ROM install boot disk but both have the same problem.  After I
select Upgrade or Install, and then an installation method, RH 6.0 moves
to the SCSI probe section of the install and begins to probe the PCI
bus.  At this point, the install appears to hang and, upon selection
virtual terminal 4 (ctrl-alt-F4) I see the message:

<7> iso 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
<4> hdb: lost interrupt
<4> hdb: lost interrupt
<4> hdb: lost interrupt

with the last message repeating every 2-10 seconds.  I have a fairly
vanilla system:

VIA 503+ MB with K6-2/300, 64MB RAM
ESS 1869 PCI sound card
Linksys PCI 10 base-t ethernet card
Maxtor 851208A HD as hda
Optics 12x IDE ATAPI CD-ROM drive as hdb
Elsa winnner 2000PRO/X-2 video card

and am not sure why the scsi probe is messing up the CD-ROM drive.  I
tried moving the CD-ROM to hdc but that failed with similar messages.
Is there any known way to prevent the SCSI probe?  Would that solve my
problems?  Any other suggestions?

--Ron