FVWM

Post by Darren K Emg » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to disable the virtual desktops in RH5.0.  I have changed the
.fvwmrc adn .fvwm2rc by setting the DeskTopSize   1x1.  This did not
appear to help.  Any suggestions

Thanks

Darren

FVWM

Post by Robert Marti » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to disable the virtual desktops in RH5.0.  I have changed the
> .fvwmrc adn .fvwm2rc by setting the DeskTopSize   1x1.  This did not
> appear to help.  Any suggestions

> Thanks

> Darren

This is an Xserver, not window manager, issue.

In /etc/X11/XF86Config find the screen section that applies to you and
change the virtual entry to equal the modes (i.e. physical) entry.  You
might even try deleting the "virtual" line altogether.  INTI.

--
--Rob
I believe in UFOs (Unquestionably Fabulous Operating Systems)

FVWM

Post by Chris Bro » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to disable the virtual desktops in RH5.0.  I have changed the
> .fvwmrc adn .fvwm2rc by setting the DeskTopSize   1x1.  This did not
> appear to help.  Any suggestions

If you're using a desktop larger than the actual screen size, then you
need to run xf86config to remove the virtual desktop. Just say "n" when
the question appears.

--
"In chaos and riots, the screech of machines |  This space dedicated to
 No right and no wrong and no in between     |    apocalyptic hamsters.

FVWM

Post by Chris Renni » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > I am trying to disable the virtual desktops in RH5.0.  I have changed the
> > .fvwmrc adn .fvwm2rc by setting the DeskTopSize   1x1.  This did not
> > appear to help.  Any suggestions

> > Thanks

> > Darren

> This is an Xserver, not window manager, issue.

> In /etc/X11/XF86Config find the screen section that applies to you and
> change the virtual entry to equal the modes (i.e. physical) entry.  You
> might even try deleting the "virtual" line altogether.  INTI.

Surely virtual windows *is* a window manager issue: hence the 'v' in
fvwm.  I think the problem Darren was having can be fixed by making
the change to .fvwmrc.defines rather than to .fvwmrc  The latter is
created afresh from the other files in that directory each time the
window manager is started.  That is why editing .fvwmrc has no effect.

--

FVWM

Post by Robert Marti » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > > I am trying to disable the virtual desktops in RH5.0.  I have changed the
> > > .fvwmrc adn .fvwm2rc by setting the DeskTopSize   1x1.  This did not
> > > appear to help.  Any suggestions

> > > Thanks

> > > Darren

> > This is an Xserver, not window manager, issue.

> > In /etc/X11/XF86Config find the screen section that applies to you and
> > change the virtual entry to equal the modes (i.e. physical) entry.  You
> > might even try deleting the "virtual" line altogether.  INTI.

> Surely virtual windows *is* a window manager issue: hence the 'v' in
> fvwm.  ...

Oh yeah!  Try getting a virtual desktop from an XServer which isn't
configured to provide it.  The XServer doesn't care how many 'v''s there
are in the window manager's name.

Quote:> ...   I think the problem Darren was having can be fixed by making
> the change to .fvwmrc.defines rather than to .fvwmrc

Good idea.  My solution eliminates virtual desktops regardless of window
manager.  Yours would provide finer control;  assuming you can disable
the virtual desktop from .fvwmrc.defines:)

--
--Rob
I owe ya Billy!  If it weren't for M${DOS, WINDOWS}, I wouldn't have

FVWM

Post by Lawrence Joseph Wobke » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

<Snip!>

Just to clarify here, there are two kinds of virtual desktops:

Those created by the XServer itself, which is where the XServer handles
a desktop that's, say 1280x1024, while you're monitor is only set to
disply 1024x768 at any one time.  You end up scrolling around the
virtual desktop to see it all.

Those created by a window manager, these are usually completely separate
"screens" that the window manager holds in memory and you can switch to
and from.  By his initial post, it sounds as though the fix here is to
edit the XF86Config file (usually in /etc/X11/) and look for the line
beginning with "virtual"  -- see earlier post.

FVWM

Post by Robert Marti » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Good point, Lawrence.  I assumed the orignal poster's problem was "fleeing
edge syndrome."  ( XServer feature).

> <Snip!>

> Just to clarify here, there are two kinds of virtual desktops:

> Those created by the XServer itself, which is where the XServer handles
> a desktop that's, say 1280x1024, while you're monitor is only set to
> disply 1024x768 at any one time.  You end up scrolling around the
> virtual desktop to see it all.

> Those created by a window manager, these are usually completely separate
> "screens" that the window manager holds in memory and you can switch to
> and from.  By his initial post, it sounds as though the fix here is to
> edit the XF86Config file (usually in /etc/X11/) and look for the line
> beginning with "virtual"  -- see earlier post.

--
--Rob
I owe ya Billy!  If it weren't for M${DOS, WINDOWS}, I wouldn't have
been looking for something better and found Linux.
*** Decapitate my email address before use. ***

FVWM

Post by Jay O'Conn » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 09 Jul 1998 03:35:01 GMT, Robert Martin

>Good point, Lawrence.  I assumed the orignal poster's problem was "fleeing
>edge syndrome."  ( XServer feature).

Yes that was happening to me.  My solution was to re-order and edit
the "Mode"  line (down in the screens section ) so that only the mode
that I was using was available.  If your line reads

        Modes   "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"

You will probalby default to "640x480" but your screen size will be
the highest available "1024x768".  If you want to runt "1024x768" you
should remove the "1280x1024" entry and put "1024x768" at the from of
the line before the others

        Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480".

BTW - I want to thank S.u.S.E for all that information.  Their online
support at their web site is excellent

In my case I'm still having a severe alignment problem off to the top
and right.  I tied running xvidtune but it just hangs after printing
my hscan (30-61...no kidding, that's what I put in XF86Config) and
vscan (70-77...just a guess on my part but probably wrong)

Take care,

>> <Snip!>

>> Just to clarify here, there are two kinds of virtual desktops:

>> Those created by the XServer itself, which is where the XServer handles
>> a desktop that's, say 1280x1024, while you're monitor is only set to
>> disply 1024x768 at any one time.  You end up scrolling around the
>> virtual desktop to see it all.

>> Those created by a window manager, these are usually completely separate
>> "screens" that the window manager holds in memory and you can switch to
>> and from.  By his initial post, it sounds as though the fix here is to
>> edit the XF86Config file (usually in /etc/X11/) and look for the line
>> beginning with "virtual"  -- see earlier post.

>--
>--Rob
>I owe ya Billy!  If it weren't for M${DOS, WINDOWS}, I wouldn't have
>been looking for something better and found Linux.
>*** Decapitate my email address before use. ***

Jay O'Connor

"God himself plays on the bass strings first, when he tunes the soul"

1. fvwm...doesnt' read .fvwm file??

I want to start using fvwm, so I read the man pages and started to
play with it.  Thing is, the only file that it will read (at startup)is the
default file (sample.fvwmrc).  No I know that I can change ThAT file,
but I'd like to have a .fvwm file in my home dir.  I created one, but
X doesn't want to read it.  I can run olvwm with no problem, but the
.fvwm file gets ignored.
  I commented out the olvwm line in my .xinitrc, and added fvwm &
I know that it looks in my home dir, because I changed the default
file name in the default dir and startx didn't work.  When the fail
came up, it told me that it couldn't find the default file OR the
.fvwm file in my home dir.  I have the permissions set to all read and
write, but I don't have the execute set, since the default file works
and it is not executable.  Anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks
-=Cynon=-  Bring back              |*|  Welcome to the Peoples Republic of NJ
  safe government: Use Kingdoms!   |*|  Please leave your RKBA at the gate

2. Kernel compile error

3. fvwm-ewmh-0.4 - Extended WM Hints for FVWM

4. Browsing the Internet

5. Subject: fvwm-ewmh-0.5 - Extended WM Hints for FVWM

6. telnet

7. fvwm-ewmh-0.3 - Extended WM Hints for FVWM

8. QoS

9. fvwm wows!!! When I try to start fvwm I get a message libXpm.so.4.6 not found

10. FVWM and GoodStuff

11. Mouseless FVWM: how to click?

12. FVWM colors....help

13. fvwm, cdrom...