Phantom process on Universe

Post by Peter Hugh » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible to pass parameters (e.g. in a DATA statement) to a
basic program which is caled as a phantom ?

Database is Universe on AIX

TIA

Peter Hughes

Phantom process on Universe

Post by Clint Byru » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Sure, just write something like this:

PROGRAM NEW.PHANTOM.PROGRAM

DATA VAR1,VAR2
CHAIN "REGULAR.PHANTOM.PROGRAM"

If you can't get away with the CHAIN(I don't THINK it clears the DATA
stack), you can always use EXECUTE.

Then, in your program where you want to DATA stack stuff, you would put
this line:

EXECUTE "PHANTOM NEW.PHANTOM.PROGRAM ":VAR1:" ":VAR2

Phantom process on Universe

Post by Ray Wurlo » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Yes, lots of ways.

If the DATA statements are in a paragraph that the PHANTOM invokes,
immediately following the command that runs the BASIC program, then the
BASIC program will use the DATA statements to satisfy any INPUT statements
(until the DATA stack is exhausted, after which the phantom process will
abort if any more INPUT statements are executed, with "phantom requested
terminal input".

You can invoke the phantom with command line arguments, for example
PHANTOM RUN BP MYPROG ARG1 ARG2 ARG3
then have the BASIC program parse the command line (lots of ways to do

If the phantom is executed from another BASIC program, you can use PERFORM
rather than EXECUTE, or use the compiler option to make EXECUTE run in the
same shell, keeping COMMON, and passing parameters through common.

into a dynamic array) and interrogate this in the called program.  [You can

UniVerse may overwrite what you have put there.]

There are lots of other ways, but these should give you food for thought.

>Is it possible to pass parameters (e.g. in a DATA statement) to a
>basic program which is caled as a phantom ?

>Database is Universe on AIX

>TIA

>Peter Hughes

1. Kill a Phantom Process in Universe

I am trying to kill a phantom process in Universe using the LOGOUT -pid
command at TCL, and I get the error message.... Unable to send signal to
process [EPERM} Not owner. Not sure I understand what this is trying to tell
me or how to correct this.

I really need to be able in a Basic program kill a phantom process for which
I know the PID.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Jim Koca

2. pgsql/doc/src/sgml/ref (create_table.sgml)

3. UniVerse phantom processes on Windows NT

4. checking if a data exists in access2000 with vb6

5. UNIVERSE, SB+ , PHANTOMS, JSD,SB+ COMMON PROBLEM

6. how to start Universe phantoms...

7. Universe Phantom & UV.LOGIN from Unix script

8. detecting Phantom in Universe

9. Universe and phantoms.

10. Help! Monitoring phantoms in Universe

11. UniVerse NT phantoms