Old db--'Data Manager PC'?

Post by Christopher Gu » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Oh boy.  I just inherited a bag full of DOS disks with data on
them in the format of a program called 'Data Manager PC.'  My
guess is that it's an old flat-file database of some sort.  The program
appears to be lost, but I hear (about third-hand) that the person who
did the data entry got Data Manager PC 'for about $30 at Sears.'
Quite some time ago....

Now, this isn't a life or death situation.  (We'll, actually it *is*:
this is some geneological stuff in which I have mild interest, so
life and death is definitely there.  But no one's life or death *hinges*
on whether I can read it, if you know what I mean.)  But I thought
I'd ask if anyone knows about 'Data Manager PC,' whether it has
a current incarnation, whether it's a known format that can be
read by other db systems, etc.

No reason I can't search remainder bins and the like, but I thought
I'd inquire first.  Appreciate any help people can provide.

Christopher Gunn                Molecular Graphics and Modeling Laboratory

Phone: 913-864-4428 or -4495    Malott Hall
                                Lawrence, KS  66045

1. Archiving 'Old' data

I've a system that stores 2 years worth of data and every
six months I hope to move the first 6 months worth of
transactions off the live system to a separate one for
viewing. Other than writing DTS to move data based on the
timestamps, can anyone suggest an efficient method for
removing large volumes of enterprise data in timeslices.

2. Not a VFP exe

3. re-using old PC's as telnet terminals using Linux

4. testing

5. Visual data manager can't open Access2000 db

6. Calculating with Paradox. V5 HELP requested

7. PC Software for FD's, MVD's, JD's and Normalization

8. DBA position in Pasedena, CA

9. Trouble re-connecting to old DB's

10. Restoring old upgraded MSSQL7.0 DB's to MSSQL7.0

11. export old db's to 2k?

12. [SQL] Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete'the data

13. Converting Old Paradox DB's