AP/Pro end of life

Post by Jeffrey Kaufma » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 01:28:51

[this posting is a copy of an email to Pick this morning]

This is Jeffrey Kaufman of Key Data Systems Group, a VAR in the Pick
community for 11 years and a programmer / consultant since 1982. I have a
couple of questions regarding AP/Pro.

I am certainly aware of the AP/Pro end of life cycle issue. Although I see
on a daily basis the hardware problems associated with supporting AP/Pro
boxes, namely the lack of compatible replacement parts, it has proven to be
perhaps the most stable system I have ever dealt with. All of our recent
sales have been D3/Linux and D3/AIX, however we still have about 18
companies running on AP/Pro. Here are my questions:

1) What are the official details regarding upgrading from AP/Pro to
D3/Linux? I have heard there is a 50% discount until the end of the year.
Remember, the O/S is only half the story. They have to upgrade their
hardware as well. 16 megabytes of memory works fine for AP/Pro but doesn't
cut it for Linux.

2) Will current AP/Pro users be able to add user licenses after the end of
this year? If so, thank you. If not, why not? These systems are humming
along without a problem or care in the world. Yet they do occasionally add
employees and need additional seats. Of course they will have to upgrade to
D3 when they out grow their current system, but for now, they are content to
stay where they are.

Thank you in advance for your quick response. We are sending out a
newsletter this week and need to include this information.

Jeff

AP/Pro end of life

Post by Jeffrey Kaufma » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 01:49:49

Here are the answers to my questions straight from Janet Crumpley.

1) The 50% discount for D3 upgrades will continue through the end of this
year. It may be extended into next year.

2) Pick Systems will continue to sell AP/Pro user licenses past the end of
this year. At this time, no termination date has been set.

Jeffrey Kaufman
Key Data Systems Group
www.keydat.com

Quote:> [this posting is a copy of an email to Pick this morning]

> This is Jeffrey Kaufman of Key Data Systems Group, a VAR in the Pick
> community for 11 years and a programmer / consultant since 1982. I have a
> couple of questions regarding AP/Pro.

> I am certainly aware of the AP/Pro end of life cycle issue. Although I see
> on a daily basis the hardware problems associated with supporting AP/Pro
> boxes, namely the lack of compatible replacement parts, it has proven to
be
> perhaps the most stable system I have ever dealt with. All of our recent
> sales have been D3/Linux and D3/AIX, however we still have about 18
> companies running on AP/Pro. Here are my questions:

> 1) What are the official details regarding upgrading from AP/Pro to
> D3/Linux? I have heard there is a 50% discount until the end of the year.
> Remember, the O/S is only half the story. They have to upgrade their
> hardware as well. 16 megabytes of memory works fine for AP/Pro but doesn't
> cut it for Linux.

> 2) Will current AP/Pro users be able to add user licenses after the end of
> this year? If so, thank you. If not, why not? These systems are humming
> along without a problem or care in the world. Yet they do occasionally add
> employees and need additional seats. Of course they will have to upgrade
> D3 when they out grow their current system, but for now, they are content
> stay where they are.

> Thank you in advance for your quick response. We are sending out a
> newsletter this week and need to include this information.

> Jeff

1. AP-PRO end of life

The following information was supplied by JBS from a conversation with Pick
Systems. Information received at 1:30pm EST today.
You will be able to purchase additional users for existing AP-PRO systems
until March 31, 2000. You will not be able purchase additional users after
that date.
I'm not quite sure why this has been done. It makes no sense at all since
the adding of users to an AP-PRO system is a simple software task for
someone at Pick Systems. You pay for the additional users, they change
something in their database, you call them and they re-activate the system
for the additional users. They make money, the distributor makes money, the
VAR makes money and the end user is happy. What have I missed???

2. duplicate the production server to a test server

3. R83 & AP End of Life

4. Is INTERSECT not available in SQL7?

5. AP "End-of-Life"

6. US-MN $60 - $80k Sr. Database Analyst - Database/Design, planning, dev, integr

7. Life of Ap/pro

8. ANNOUNCE: ChimneySweep(tm) 3.1, Professional and Standard Editions

9. If you need some monolith bord for Pick R83, Ap natif or Ap pro

10. HELP - AP/DOS - AP/PRO - WINDOWS

11. comunicaciones AP/PRO y AP/DOS

12. AP and AP Pro

13. 68030 Bench Marks vs. AP/Native - AP/Pro