Question: Year 2000 bug and impact on databases, database applications, and database management

Question: Year 2000 bug and impact on databases, database applications, and database management

Post by Matt Bove » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I am currently preparing a graduate paper on the impact of the Year 2000 (Y2K) bug
on databases, database applications, and database management. Specific areas of
interest to me and the group to whom it will be presented are:

Active Databases,
Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining,
Data Warehouses,
Deductive Databases,
Fuzzy Databases/Logic/Queries,
GIS,
Image Databases,
Knowledge-bases,
Online Databases,
OO Databases, and
Text & Document Databases.

If you work with one or more of the above, and have specific examples of how the
Y2K bug is going to affect you, the database(s), or the way you do work, and how
you (or others) are specifically addressing the problem, would you please respond
either on the NG or via e-mail (address below, too)?

If you don't know about Y2K, but can at least give me an idea of how data with date
fields or date information is used in any of the particular specialties above,
whether your particular area of databasing uses primarily two-digit date fields,
and the potential impact of having the year field "roll-over" to "00", that would
be just as good.

Any and all assistance will be most helpful. Thanks,

Matt Bovee
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS

[...]

1. YEAR 2000 "BUG": IMPACT ON DATABASES AND DBM

I am looking for information regarding the Year 2000 problem and its
impact on databases of any kind. If members of this NG have specific
examples of the impact of the Y2K problem on a particular type of
database, please forward the message to me at

The information is being used for two purposes:

1) a white paper for a graduate business class
2) "grist for the mill" as the University and the Libraries (for whom
I work) will have to deal with this "fun" problem too.

thanks in advance

Matt Bovee
University of Kansas

2. Free DATABASE for your Web site

3. FREE one-year Database magazine subscriptions like Database Trends and Applications

4. Help! Enabling case sensitivity for a single query in MS SQL Server 6.5SP4

5. Problem Replicating SQL Server 2000 Database With Access 2000 Database With Workgroup

6. How to Insert space in the text.

7. Problem Replicating SQL Server 2000 Database With Access 2000 Database With Workgroup Information File

8. D3 to Series 19 Exabyte Tapes.

9. Impact of the year 2000 on Oracle systems

10. TN-Nashville-89773--Business Applications-C++-CGI-Database Applications-Database

11. 4GL Year 2000 question (bug?)

12. Year 2000 Impact on Informix -Reply

13. Re : Year 2000 Impact on Informix