FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by SAI.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to run a Foxpro 2.6 application on NT. I keep getting a
message that it is
unable to locate Foxpro support library.to say, I am unable to run this
application under Windows NT. However, I can still run application
under windows 95.let me know if any of you have had a similar problem.
If so, then how did you make the executable work under Windows NT?

Sai Vemulakonda

FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by Ed Ellk » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Make sure you have the FOXW2000.ESL file in the same directory as the
executable.

> I am trying to run a Foxpro 2.6 application on NT. I keep getting a
> message that it is
> unable to locate Foxpro support library.to say, I am unable to run this
> application under Windows NT. However, I can still run application
> under windows 95.let me know if any of you have had a similar problem.
> If so, then how did you make the executable work under Windows NT?

> Sai Vemulakonda

FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by Alexandre Pechtchans » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

[ Courtesy cc'ed through e-mail to the quoted author ]

Quote:>I am trying to run a Foxpro 2.6 application on NT. I keep getting a
>message that it is
>unable to locate Foxpro support library.to say, I am unable to run this
>application under Windows NT. However, I can still run application
>under windows 95.let me know if any of you have had a similar problem.
>If so, then how did you make the executable work under Windows NT?

>Sai Vemulakonda

You didn't say what FoxPro, but for FPD (X) you'll need to create a shortcut to
the executable and change its properties (WindowsNT button on Program tab) so
that it receives extended memory it wants.  I got good results setting extended
memory to Auto from default "none".
Also make sure that FOX*.ESL is in the path (defined by
%SYSSTART%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT or what you put there).

[ When replying, remove *'s from address ]
Alexandre Pechtchanski, Systems Manager, RUH, NY

FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by Rick Bea » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Ed,
That's actually Foxw2600.esl, right? <g>

Rick

> Make sure you have the FOXW2000.ESL file in the same directory as the
> executable.

> > I am trying to run a Foxpro 2.6 application on NT. I keep getting a
> > message that it is
> > unable to locate Foxpro support library.to say, I am unable to run this
> > application under Windows NT. However, I can still run application
> > under windows 95.let me know if any of you have had a similar problem.
> > If so, then how did you make the executable work under Windows NT?

> > Sai Vemulakonda

> > --== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
> > ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by ric » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Also schrieb Rick Bean:

Quote:>Ed,
>That's actually Foxw2600.esl, right? <g>

How about this one?  It's for my wife, who works in a company that has
no internet access, but since I started her programming in FPW lo these
many years ago, I'm now the help desk.  :-{(

She has an FPW executable, and the ESL library in the root directory of
C: on the client machine; and even though it's on the path, FPW barfs.

Any clues?  I'm, unfortunately, away from FPW for about 3 years now, so
it's a struggle for me to remember stuff.

--
Catch the cluetrain.  http://www.cluetrain.com

FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by Geoff Daviso » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Move it all to a folder/directory. It aint a good idea to have any app in
the root directory, especially of a bootable device.

>Also schrieb Rick Bean:
>>Ed,
>>That's actually Foxw2600.esl, right? <g>

>How about this one?  It's for my wife, who works in a company that has
>no internet access, but since I started her programming in FPW lo these
>many years ago, I'm now the help desk.  :-{(

>She has an FPW executable, and the ESL library in the root directory of
>C: on the client machine; and even though it's on the path, FPW barfs.

>Any clues?  I'm, unfortunately, away from FPW for about 3 years now, so
>it's a struggle for me to remember stuff.

>--
>Catch the cluetrain.  http://www.cluetrain.com

FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by ric » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Also schrieb Geoff Davison:

Quote:>Move it all to a folder/directory. It aint a good idea to have any app in
>the root directory, especially of a bootable device.

I don't dispute that, but you have to understand the environment in
which my wife is operating.

She is pretty much working without the cooperation of their MIS
department, who seem to be managed by people who are manifesting their
desire to be control freaks.  There are Win95 policies and batch files
in place to limit paths to the root directory of the C: drive as the
only alternative place to run things other than the network drives;
which is kicking the *out of the network traffic and causing no end
of errors.

It's an untenable situation and "Leave" is, unfortunately, not the right
answer. I suggested "Throw a tantrum" yesterday.

I need to confirm that you are saying that there is something magical
about the root directory, which precludes it being searched by an FPW
executable for the location of the ESL file. Is this what you mean, or
are you saying this to promote good programming/file maintenance
practice?

I should have made it clearer that that is the problem; it can't locate
the ESL file.

>>Also schrieb Rick Bean:
>>>Ed,
>>>That's actually Foxw2600.esl, right? <g>

>>How about this one?  It's for my wife, who works in a company that has
>>no internet access, but since I started her programming in FPW lo these
>>many years ago, I'm now the help desk.  :-{(

>>She has an FPW executable, and the ESL library in the root directory of
>>C: on the client machine; and even though it's on the path, FPW barfs.

>>Any clues?  I'm, unfortunately, away from FPW for about 3 years now, so
>>it's a struggle for me to remember stuff.

>>--
>>Catch the cluetrain.  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Catch the clue train at http://www.veryComputer.com/
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Also schrieb Geoff Davison:

Quote:>Move it all to a folder/directory. It aint a good idea to have any app in
>the root directory, especially of a bootable device.

That did the trick, according to my wife.  Moved the support libs out
and all her apps started working.  Thanks.

--
Catch the cluetrain.  http://www.cluetrain.com

FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by Geoff Daviso » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Rich

There is nothing magical about the root directory.  I would suggest the
following strategy to solve the problem.

Have you got the DOS path set to include C:\ in your autoexec.bat file. eg.

SET PATH=C:\;etc;etc;etc

where etc;etc;etc are the existing settings

Alternatively try installing a copy of the esl in the windows folder.

If that still doesnt work you will need to make sure that the els file is
the correct one (ie. the same version as was used to build the exe in the
first place)

If you still cant get anywhere with that get back to me and I will do some
head scratching.

GL

Geoff

>Also schrieb Geoff Davison:
>>Move it all to a folder/directory. It aint a good idea to have any app in
>>the root directory, especially of a bootable device.

>I don't dispute that, but you have to understand the environment in
>which my wife is operating.

>She is pretty much working without the cooperation of their MIS
>department, who seem to be managed by people who are manifesting their
>desire to be control freaks.  There are Win95 policies and batch files
>in place to limit paths to the root directory of the C: drive as the
>only alternative place to run things other than the network drives;
>which is kicking the *out of the network traffic and causing no end
>of errors.

>It's an untenable situation and "Leave" is, unfortunately, not the right
>answer. I suggested "Throw a tantrum" yesterday.

>I need to confirm that you are saying that there is something magical
>about the root directory, which precludes it being searched by an FPW
>executable for the location of the ESL file. Is this what you mean, or
>are you saying this to promote good programming/file maintenance
>practice?

>I should have made it clearer that that is the problem; it can't locate
>the ESL file.

FP support library/WIN NT 4.0

Post by ric » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Also schrieb Geoff Davison:

Quote:>There is nothing magical about the root directory.  I would suggest the
>following strategy to solve the problem.

Well, maybe it wasn't magic, but moving them into a subdir fixed the
problem.

Which leads me to believe that the root was NOT in the search path, but
I haven't sat in front of any of these machines.  (Ever since I
submitted my last bill for working at my wife's firm on her FoxPro
stuff, I haven't been permitted inside the building.  :-{)  Suits me
fine.)

Quote:>Alternatively try installing a copy of the esl in the windows folder.

And that's what worked, ultimately...

--
Catch the cluetrain.  http://www.cluetrain.com