Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT

Post by Steve Casper » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:55:51

Hi,

I am really torn because I have some NT experience and have a comfort level
with it.  Also, because I have some NT experience I know that Linux is
probably a faster and more reliable host.

I would appreciate any and all comments, especially from those who have used
both.

Thanks
Steve

Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT

Post by Andrew Kenn » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:51:41

I work for a company who have had clients running D3/NT and they crashed
approx 5 times a day. Once the client was convinced to go over to d3/linux
their box has been up for 265 days without a reboot.

Regards

Andrew

Quote:> Hi,

> I am really torn because I have some NT experience and have a comfort
level
> with it.  Also, because I have some NT experience I know that Linux is
> probably a faster and more reliable host.

> I would appreciate any and all comments, especially from those who have
used
> both.

> Thanks
> Steve

Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT

Post by Patrick A Latime » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:06:58

If it is an *application server* Linux is the way to go. NT is good
if you don't have that luxury or if you are bound M$ apps. That said,
the NT environment is OK especially in terms of usable hardware. The
maintainance however is much greater. Strong M$ talent is needed to
*address issues* (fix problems). It depends on what your are trying
to accomplish.

My Spin, Patrick

--
"None of the modern machines, none of the modern paraphernalia have
any power except over the people who choose to use them."

Post by Patrick A Latime » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:07:10

If it is an *application server* Linux is the way to go. NT is good
if you don't have that luxury or if you are bound M$ apps. That said,
the NT environment is OK especially in terms of usable hardware. The
maintenance however is much greater. Strong M$ talent is needed to

--

Post by Doug Dumit » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 14:24:02

>Hi,

>I am really torn because I have some NT experience and have a comfort level
>with it.  Also, because I have some NT experience I know that Linux is
>probably a faster and more reliable host.

>I would appreciate any and all comments, especially from those who have used
>both.

>Thanks
>Steve

We use D3/Linux (and other mvDBMS Linux platforms) extensively.  We do
support applications on D3/NT, but have chosen not to run them
in-house or in our hosting service (http://easyco.com).

Our largest "production" D3/Linux single box is ~200 users spread
across 5 virtuals (this is about where we try to load them).  We have
the occasional hardware issue, but in general the platform is very
stable.  We have yet to actually lose any data.

Our company can provide you with custom solutions for hosting D3 on
Linux ranging from local redundant servers configured as hot-backups,
hosted virtual servers in our facilities, to a combination of the
above.  All of this supporting from 10 to 500 users per server.

Easy Computing Company - Internet Hosting for mvDBMS Applications

Direct:       949 831-4774
Main Office:  888 473-7866
              610 237-2000

Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT

Post by Ricky Ginsbur » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 18:47:01

Quote:> Hi,

> I am really torn because I have some NT experience and have a comfort level
> with it.  Also, because I have some NT experience I know that Linux is
> probably a faster and more reliable host.

> I would appreciate any and all comments, especially from those who have used
> both.

Steve,
        I have converted several dozen clients from AP-Pro to D3Linux and
D3NT, mostly to D3Linux. The conversion to the Linux platform is much,
much easier especially when it comes to peripherals. Multiport serial
cards in particular are a nightmare to get working under NT. All of our
Linux installations are stable and rarely, if ever, get rebooted.

--
Ricky Ginsburg can be reached at:

Web...: http://www.flbbq.org
Web...: http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky

Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT

Post by Mark Wrigh » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 23:13:13

Use Linux!!

--
Mark Wright
Controller/MIS

Quote:> Hi,

> I am really torn because I have some NT experience and have a comfort
level
> with it.  Also, because I have some NT experience I know that Linux is
> probably a faster and more reliable host.

> I would appreciate any and all comments, especially from those who have
used
> both.

> Thanks
> Steve

Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT

Post by mvuse » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 07:29:31

It really depends which OS you are more comfortable with. With either OS I
would advise using "proper server" hardware not  "normal" PCs.
As with most things in life good preparation and planning can save you a lot
of pain later on.
We personally run mvBase on NT and the server has not been rebooted in over
6 months and it was only rebooted then when the building was undergoing come
electrical rewiring. Yes NT and 2000 ( our 2000 server has been running for
the same period of time) can be stable as I suspect Linux is. However if
your hardware is below par you can run the best OS in the world and its
still going to die.

My 2 cents + GST worth

Ray

Quote:> Hi,

> I am really torn because I have some NT experience and have a comfort
level
> with it.  Also, because I have some NT experience I know that Linux is
> probably a faster and more reliable host.

> I would appreciate any and all comments, especially from those who have
used
> both.

> Thanks
> Steve

Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 19:10:36

Much as I would also respond with a knee-jerk "use linux", that comment
about "use quality components" also holds very true. An NT box built
from brand-name components will *probably* work fine, much more reliably
than a no-name box.

Just make sure that the manufacturers certify it as compatible with the
variant of Windows that you are using - many components are certified
for NT4 but not Win2000, or the drivers are only available for 9x, or or
or. I've not hit it much, but Windows is notorious for "losing" device
support like where all those people with HP scanners and the cheapo SCSI
that came with them suddenly found the card stopped working from 95 to
OSR2. Solution? buy a new scsi card or downgrade back to the old 95.

Conversation: Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT
Subject: Re: Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT

It really depends which OS you are more comfortable with. With either OS
would advise using "proper server" hardware not  "normal" PCs.
As with most things in life good preparation and planning can save you a
lot
of pain later on.
We personally run mvBase on NT and the server has not been rebooted in
over
6 months and it was only rebooted then when the building was undergoing
come
electrical rewiring. Yes NT and 2000 ( our 2000 server has been running
for
the same period of time) can be stable as I suspect Linux is. However if
your hardware is below par you can run the best OS in the world and its
still going to die.

My 2 cents + GST worth

Ray

> Hi,

> I am really torn because I have some NT experience and have a comfort
level
> with it.  Also, because I have some NT experience I know that Linux is
> probably a faster and more reliable host.

> I would appreciate any and all comments, especially from those who
have
used
> both.

> Thanks
> Steve

1. Direсеrtly sending E-mail From D3 (D3/NT ior D3/Linux)

Welcome
I told several days ago about this soft, now I full isolete it  from
D3ZServer
I call It ZMail (It's shareware)
easy install, easy use

Short instruction here
http://d3zsoft.newmail.ru/D3ZServer/eng/ShareWareProgs.html#SendMail
download here
http://d3zsoft.newmail.ru/ZMail/
After install I recomment try execute
follow
SendMail -hsSMTP_server -t3 -fyours_email

P.S.
This utils is very usefull One execute and you get all pick file users
;-)
or somerhing else read instruction on web site
Good Luck

2. system tables block for temp tables

3. D3 7.0 to D3 7.1 Incompatibility problem with c functions on D3/Linux

4. New USERGROUP 4 Crystal Reports

5. D3/Linux Restore from D3/NT

6. Pdox45 DOS Need SQL Link

7. D3 NT vs. D3 LINUX

8. SCSI tape drive problems

9. VB, D3/NT, D3 LINUX

10. Faxing from D3/NT and D3/Linux

11. D3/Linux - D3-to-Linux communication to print spooler

12. Infolink - D3/Sco to D3/Linux

13. Calling d3 from perl where d3 is on another linux machine inside a firewall