request for info on OODBs

Post by Lisa Bahle » Fri, 08 Jan 1993 02:14:48

I recently saw a request for information on object-oriented databases
posted to this group, but there was no follow-up.  I'd like to prompt
some discussion in this area.

I have recently started looking at various OODBs.  Primarily, I am
interested in ObjectStore, Objectivity, and Versant.  Would people
share their good or bad experiences with these products and others?
Especially useful would be comments from people who are familiar
with more than one OODB.

request for info on OODBs

Post by Marc San Souc » Sat, 09 Jan 1993 10:19:41

> I recently saw a request for information on object-oriented databases
> posted to this group, but there was no follow-up.  I'd like to prompt
> some discussion in this area.
> I have recently started looking at various OODBs.  Primarily, I am
> interested in ObjectStore, Objectivity, and Versant.  Would people
> share their good or bad experiences with these products and others?
> Especially useful would be comments from people who are familiar
> with more than one OODB.

What are you interested in doing with the OODB?

    Marc San Soucie
    Servio Corporation
    Beaverton, Oregon

request for info on OODBs

Post by Richard Mard » Mon, 11 Jan 1993 13:03:01

I am also interested in OODBs. We are currently restructuring our training
and documentation methodologies to match our OOD approaches in our software
development.  We seem to have a gap between the theory and the tools that
allow us to develop our databased approache to documentation.

Any comments/thoughts on this appreciated.

request for info on OODBs

Post by Volker Gae » Sat, 16 Jan 1993 04:23:32

|> I am also interested in OODBs. We are currently restructuring our training
|> and documentation methodologies to match our OOD approaches in our software
|> development.  We seem to have a gap between the theory and the tools that
|> allow us to develop our databased approache to documentation.
|>
|> Any comments/thoughts on this appreciated.

Would you please be a bit more concrete! What do you want to know?
What exactly do mean with gap between theory and developing tools?

        Volker

------------------------------+-------------+----------------------
Volker Gaede                  +   \\\|//    + Tant d'histoire pour
                              +   |o o |    + rien de tout.

------------------------------+-------------+----------------------

1. info request on OODBS

Whilst Oracle is certainly not OO currently, I know of companies
who have integrated AutoCAD with Oracle for process plant applications.
viz. use AutoCADas the visualisation tool and Oracle as the persistance
item, other applications are just bolted onto the pair of them.

Obviously ORACLE is available on most platforms.

I am unsure whether any commercial OODB have yet developed an
interface to AutoCAD. I certainly doubt if it works !!

Hope that helps.

Regards

Brian
--
Brian J. King        | Voice: +44 91 222 6000 ext 8558  Fax: +44 91 261 1182

Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU UK | UUCP : ...!mcvax!ukc!ncl.ac.uk!B.J.King
Brian J. King        | Voice: +44 91 222 6000 ext 8558  Fax: +44 91 261 1182

Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU UK | UUCP : ...!mcvax!ukc!ncl.ac.uk!B.J.King

2. DTS Execute Process - Environment Variable in Path

3. Looking for info on OODBs

4. Comdex Hotel Rooms

5. Info wanted on OODBs

6. Incosistency / problems in Oracle 7 Rdbms

7. Requesting for table(s) info containing backupfile/device content

8. MBF

9. Mailing List Info Requested

10. SQL 6.5 to 7.0 upgrade info request

11. Request For 4.21->6.5 Upgrade Info/Experiences

12. Mailing List Info Request

13. ODBC driver proxy info request