Memory requirements OI 1.2 vs Ingres 6.4

Memory requirements OI 1.2 vs Ingres 6.4

Post by Roger Hil » Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I am planning to upgrade from 6.4.05 (HP-UX) to OI 1.2 in the next month
or so.  I've read Karl Schendel's excellent notes, but what I also need to
know is whether, everything else being equal, my memory usage will go up
or down significantly.  I'm a little tight on memory now (128MB, maybe 30
users), so I'm contemplating upgrading with another 32 or 64 MB.

I know you can never have too much memory, but will I be forced into it?

Roger Hill, P.O.Box 4T, Barbados, West Indies.

Post by Karl Schend » Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I am planning to upgrade from 6.4.05 (HP-UX) to OI 1.2 in the next month
> or so.  I've read Karl Schendel's excellent notes, but what I also need to
> know is whether, everything else being equal, my memory usage will go up
> or down significantly.  I'm a little tight on memory now (128MB, maybe 30
> users), so I'm contemplating upgrading with another 32 or 64 MB.

> I know you can never have too much memory, but will I be forced into it?

This is a difficult call, and I'm not sure I have the answer.

My gut feeling is that OpenIngres likes a little more memory than 6.4.
I have trouble quantifying that.  I think some of the added memory overhead
comes from the recovery server and its slaves, which take more memory than
6.4's dmfrcp.  On the other hand, on shared-library platforms, OpenIngres
should in theory be able to use less memory overall because you're sharing
a fair amount of the front-end library code (I'm assuming that you have
abf/4gl apps running on the same machine).  On the gripping hand, if you
don't have many esql or 4gl apps running on that machine, the shared
libraries won't help you.

My best guess is that if you are hurting for memory in 6.4, OpenIngres
will aggravate the problem.  On the other hand I have not seen a 6.4
configuration become unacceptably unresponsive due to memory problems
when converted to OpenIngres.  (Not that my experience is all-encompassing,
you understand.  In particular I lack HP conversion experience, to date.)

Karl

Post by Karl Schrick » Sun, 04 May 1997 04:00:00

: I am planning to upgrade from 6.4.05 (HP-UX) to OI 1.2 in the next month
: or so.  I've read Karl Schendel's excellent notes, but what I also need to
: know is whether, everything else being equal, my memory usage will go up
: or down significantly.  I'm a little tight on memory now (128MB, maybe 30
: users), so I'm contemplating upgrading with another 32 or 64 MB.

I would recommend not upgrading until you have more memory, or at
least have tested your environment thoroughly.  Since moving to
OI 1.2/01 from 6.4/04, we are seeing memory leaks.  Our server has
256MB, and when we start OI, there is about 45% free.  Within two
weeks, memory is nearly exhausted, and we have to bounce the server.

Karl Schricker
Hewlett-Packard, Palo Alto, California

1. Upgrading from 6.4 to OI 1.2 and 6.4 to OI 1.1/04

Hello out there !

Have anybody made a recipy for converting a 6.4 DB to a 1.2 DB on a Unix
server.
If someone have made a list from A-Z during making this operation, I would
like to have a copy of this list.....

I would also like a similar recipy if anyone have converted ABF
applications from 6.4 to OI 1.1/04 on VAX/VMS .....

Regards ....

Inge O. Seth

2. Service Pack 5

3. Use Upgradefe to upgrade a database from version CA-Ingres 6.4/04 and OI 1.2/00

4. Data transfer between SQL Server and text file

5. Again - upgrade from Ingres 6.4 to OI 1.2

6. Strix - information please.

7. Upgrade 6.4 to OI 1.2

8. : form prop's change problem (VFP3.0)

9. Upgrade 6.4/O5 --> OI 1.2

10. Data conversion problem from Ingres 6.4 to Ingres 1.2

11. Ingres 6.4/06 -> OpenIngres 1.2/01 issue

12. Use Upgradefe to upgrade a database from version CA-Ingres 6.4/04 andOI 1.2/00

13. Migration to Open Ingres 1.2 on DEC-UNIX from 6.4