oracle - string literal to long

Post by bobo » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
This is my problem:
my application is connected (via odbc) with an oracle 8i database that
has a table with a field of type long that shall contain up to 2^32
bytes; if I try to insert in that field a string with more than 4000
characters i receive a "String literal to long" error.
Anybody can help me
Thanks
Roberto

1. Insert a long value ORA-01704: string literal too long

hi everyone,
i've defined a table with a LONG column to store text containing
more than 4000 car.
The problem is that when i do an insert like :

insert into my_table (long_value) values ('patati.... patata')

i have the oracle error : ORA-01704: string literal too long...

if 'patati....patata' has less than 4000 car. : it's ok.

What's the problem ? is it that i use quotes ?
it seems that 'patati....patata' is considered like a VARCHAR2 data.

thank u for help

Cyril

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Java-local DB file

3. RDO connection to ORACLE database through ODBC string literal too long

4. File growth change in SQL 7.0 Enterprise Manager

5. ORA-01704: string literal too long

6. Queries: is parallel always faster?

7. String literal too long?

8. DC-SENIOR ANALYST

9. string literal to long

10. ODBC Error: String Literal to long?

11. ORA-01704: string literal too long

12. Oracle 7.3 LONG Varchar limitation to 2000 characters (ORA-01704); string literal too long