Ingres II 2.0 on Solaris 2.7 - 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode

Ingres II 2.0 on Solaris 2.7 - 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode

Post by Nigel Fletch » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:21:28

Apart from the issue with syscheck not working in 64 bit mode, does
anyone have any advice on which mode is preferable.

We are running in 64 bit mode - at this stage I feel that 32 bit mode
may be the better way to go, as I am playing with config params & not
having syscheck run is a bit of a risk. (I've read thru old postings,
and I realise that syscheck cannot be relied on 100%, but surely its
better than nothing).

Are there any benefits with 64bit mode? Is it faster? Is there a good
reason NOT go go to 32 bit mode? (The apps we run do not require 64
bit mode).

1. 32-bit Oracle Server on 64-bit Solaris?

My company is running a 64-bit version of Oracle 8.1.6.1 on 64-bit Solaris7.

Recently, we have run into a problem with our application and Oracle.
The application vendor informs us about an Oracle patch that might address
our problem, BUT: The vendor is running 32-bit Oracle and OracleSupport
informs us that the aforementioned patch is not available for our platform.

We have raised this as an issue with the vendor, but the system owner wants
to know if 'downgrading' the server to 32-bit just to be able to apply this
patch(.!.)  can be possible.

First: Can it be done? (I kinda hope it's not..)
I'm quite new to Oracle and this whole idea appears quite stupid. Wouldn't
it defeat the purpose and advantages of 64-bits OS+DB? Wouldn't it be sort
of like teaching a dog to walk on two legs--possible, but not terribly
efficient..(Dog trainers: pls don't shoot me for this analogy)

Any insights appreciated

Knut E. Meidal
(Wannabe Oracle DBA)

2. Memory recommendations for Oracle 8i

3. Upper limit of total SGA for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on 64-bit Solaris 8

4. Oracle/SQLServer resources

5. Porting 32-bit to 64-bit on Sun Solaris

6. How to get field's Description property in access database by using C++?

7. HP-UX11 32-bit IDS on 64-bit A500 machine running in 32-bit mode - Which Version Number ?

8. Oracle NT - cant start listiner

9. 64-bit SQL Server and 32-bit dlls question

10. Performance: 32-bit SE vs. 64-bit EE

11. Changes in 64 bit Oracle from 32 bit

12. Moving from 8.1.7 32-bit to 8.1.7 64-bit

13. 32-bit Clients to 64-bit Oracle Server