Restore Universe/Unix uvbackup to Universe/NT?

Restore Universe/Unix uvbackup to Universe/NT?

Post by Joseph A Walt » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have a uvbackup tape from a system running Universe/Unix that is
just a single account.

Am trying to get this restored onto Universe/NT using the UVAdmin
restore applet and having big problems. What happens is the tape
volume  information is displayed - date, blocksize, etc. I choose the
action restore entire image. What I was hoping would happen is that
the restore would create the same path on the NT filesystem that was
on the Unix system /u1/whatever and restore the directories and files
below that. What did happen is that it restored all directories and
files from the tape to \uv\uv with a somewhat bizzare looking path
name prefixing each file. We got files like %u1%AccountName%D_Filename
where what I really need is just D_Filename.

I am sure this can work. I think I have even done it before. The
solution is probably obvious, but I just can't find it.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks much,
Joe Walter

Restore Universe/Unix uvbackup to Universe/NT?

Post by Glenn Herber » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Joseph,

You've run into a problem we are currently working to resolve.  This is
described in the GTAR # 22639(among others).   The basic problem is that
NT has many
more invalid characters (over 40) that can be within a filename, whereas
UNIX only
has a few (4).   During the restore, these characters are converted from
their
UNIX state to their NT state.    One of the conversions is if there is a
UNIX forward
slash in a FILENAME, it gets converted to %S.  The issue here is that the
conversion
isnt just happening on the FILENAME, but the ENTIRE file PATH!

As I've stated, this is currently being worked on.  In the meantime, the
only method
to move from UNIX to NT is to utilize cpio (UNIX) and pax (NT).  The
problem with
this will be if you have any of the invalid characters within your
filenames.  Assuming
you have filenames without invalid characters (i.e. letters and/or
numbers) you can
cpio a uniVerse account on UNIX:

find account -print |cpio -ocvB > image

Copy that image to NT (or mount on tape device), then on NT issue the
statement
in the parent directory:

pax -r -v -f image

This will create and restore the account.  Note that pax will generate
error messages
when it encounters files with invalid characters.

I have been told that the fix for uvbackup will be available in a rapid
patch release,
probably 9.4.1.2Er3, available the end of next week (3/27/98).   You can
call customer
support and request the rapid patch release that contains Gtar 22639.

Hope this helps.
Glenn

--

ArdentSoftware Inc. 50 Washington St., Westboro, Ma. 01581
(508) 366-3888 x3281

1. Universe: uvbackup on NT

NT4 SP6 / UV 9.6.1
Linux RH 6.1 with mods. / UV 8...

I am transferring an account from NT to Linux. The restore on Linux has the
absolute pathnames in and I therefore cannot load the save into the required
location. (any location as i don't want to alter the target filesystems)

Does anyone know a switch for uvbackup on NT to use relative filenames or a
restore option on Linux to ignore part of a path??

I've logged the call with Informix - but have no answer yet........

2. Saving Approach Import Spec.

3. sb+ on Universe running on a Unix Platform to SB+ on Universe on a NT Platform

4. SQL string parser in C?

5. NT Universe converting to Linux Universe

6. shrinking transaction log

7. universe on rs6000 to universe NT question

8. JOB - 4GL P/A - Scottsdale/AZ

9. Problem W/ UniVerse Obejcts and Windows 2000 Server (UniVerse 9.4 for NT)

10. Restoring Prime Backup tape to Unix Universe

11. Backup and Restore on UniVerse 9 for NT

12. Universe: Restoring an NT database on an HP

13. Migration UniVerse from UNIX to NT