ABF/QBF frames ignore group for validation

ABF/QBF frames ignore group for validation

Post by Lucky Leavel » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

In OpenIngres 1.1/04 (sos.usr5/02), I've been trying to use roles or
groups to replace the SUID bit which apparently no longer works.  In an
ABF/4GL application, I specify "-G<group_id>" on the QBF frame definition.
After the application is reimaged and executed with a "-G<group_id>" on
the command line.  I can access the base table for the QBF form but
tables/view referenced in field validation strings apparently do not
recognize the group permissions on the referenced table/view.

For example, one of the valiation strings is "companycode in
compabytable.companycode" which does exist with companytable having
permissions "grant all to group <group_id>".  In the froms initialization
phase, I get the error message:

        Table-column (CompanyTable.CompanyCode) not found.
        (E_FV000A).

If I remove that validation string, it complains about the next field
with a similar validation string.  If I allow it to come up with the
default form based on the underlying table/view (but, of course, with no
validation strings), I can access data OK.

Is this a known problem?  Is there a work around?  I could rewrite all
the QBF frames to do my own validation but would rather not.

Thank you,
Lucky
NAIUA Member

Lucky Leavell                            Phone: (812) 945-6555
Relational Information Systems, Inc.       FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                       71534,2674 (CompuServe)
                                 WWW Home Page:  http://wl.iglou.com/ris

1. Passing role/group to called ABF QBF/RBF frames

This originally began as a question on the SUID bit under OI 1.1.  I've
resigned myself to the fact that OI doesn't honor thw SUID bit in the way
6.x did.  I've tried using roles but cannot get past the role password
(posted separately) so now I'm trying groups. Now I find I cannot pass
the ABF/4GL application group (from the command line) to called QBF/RBF
frames or at least I cannot find it.

I guess I could use the CALL SYSTEM statement and generate a command line
call to qbf but that seems a bit kludgy.  (I should point out that I do
not have the Vision/ABF/4GL docs for OI, just 6.4.).

Am I missing something?  Is my caffeine level too low?

TIA,
Lucky
NAIUA Member

Lucky Leavell                            Phone: (812) 945-6555
Relational Information Systems, Inc.       FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                       71534,2674 (CompuServe)
                                 WWW Home Page:  http://wl.iglou.com/ris

2. I NEED HELP QUICKLY!!!!!

3. Too many permits - Was: Passing role/group to called ABF QBF/RBF frames

4. Encrypted data for Analysis Server

5. ABF,QBF,VIFRED

6. Progress DBA, Progress Programmer, some UNIX Systems Admin for Northern KY

7. "Exiting ..." message calling QBF/RW Frames

8. Relations: grandchild problem

9. ABF-Proc/Frames Multiple Applikations

10. ODP: Destroying many ABF frames

11. Destroying many ABF frames

12. Calling a abf frame from C-program..

13. ABF Application: C procedure and 4GL frame