BTRIEVE Problems on Novell.

Post by Simon Stear » Fri, 28 Jan 1994 03:30:23

We have a problem with a customers setup of Btrieve; They are running multiple
PCs each with the local btrieve engine loaded against a shared set of datafiles
on a Novell fileserver. (i.e. they are not using the NLM)

It seems that they are getting occasional errors in the index structure of the
files, such that a particular entry can be accessed only by non-index searches.
We have also recently received reports that a file had a corrupt data page.

The BUTIL -RECOVER/-LOAD seems to clear the fault. But it takes hours, and so far
we haven't been sucessful tracking down the cause. Is it safe to run in this
configuration, or should they swap to the NLM implementation of the Btrieve
engine?

Any help that anyone can offer would be gratefully received,

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

BTRIEVE Problems on Novell.

Post by Madis Ka » Mon, 31 Jan 1994 00:55:56

> We have a problem with a customers setup of Btrieve; They are running multiple
> PCs each with the local btrieve engine loaded against a shared set of datafiles
> on a Novell fileserver. (i.e. they are not using the NLM)

I suggest you start using NLM, the improvements in speed and reliability will
be worth it. If you cannot do that, try using TTS (though it probably will
not help you much with all these local emulators running).