Database Free Space? + Defrag or optimize?

Database Free Space? + Defrag or optimize?

Post by Bryan Wa » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

We just installed a new financial software running on MS SQL Server
6.5, and I would appreciate any help with the following problem.

What is the best way to tell how much free space you have in a
database?  Also, how can we optimize or reorganize (I don't know the
proper term) our database?

We have some kind of problem with space, but we aren't sure what it
is.  When we go to the "edit" screen for the database by
right-clicking on the database in Enterprise Manager, it says the
database is full, and the log is full, even after a recalculate, but
we don't get any errors on the server or clients.  We also looked at
the result of sp_spaceused, but it didn't report anything that helped.
We increased the size of the devices and the database by 400 MB, but
it shows only a few MB free after that operation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you wish to reply through email, please remove
the REMOVETHIS from the beginning of my address
after you hit reply. It is there to throw off
junk mail programs.

Database Free Space? + Defrag or optimize?

Post by kmb.. » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I am also having the same problem and truncate does not seem to release any
space. Would appreciate help on this

>We just installed a new financial software running on MS SQL Server
>6.5, and I would appreciate any help with the following problem.

>What is the best way to tell how much free space you have in a
>database?  Also, how can we optimize or reorganize (I don't know the
>proper term) our database?

>We have some kind of problem with space, but we aren't sure what it
>is.  When we go to the "edit" screen for the database by
>right-clicking on the database in Enterprise Manager, it says the
>database is full, and the log is full, even after a recalculate, but
>we don't get any errors on the server or clients.  We also looked at
>the result of sp_spaceused, but it didn't report anything that helped.
>We increased the size of the devices and the database by 400 MB, but
>it shows only a few MB free after that operation.

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks

>If you wish to reply through email, please remove
>the REMOVETHIS from the beginning of my address
>after you hit reply. It is there to throw off
>junk mail programs.

Database Free Space? + Defrag or optimize?

Post by Pete » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Ok guys, its getting late and my syntax might be off so look it up to
verity.  Run update statistics and check db.  Also you might want to do a
backup of your db and then dump the log.  When the log is full nothing more
goes into the db.

Post by Darrel Knigh » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Ok guys, its getting late and my syntax might be off so look it up to
> verity.  Run update statistics and check db.  Also you might want to do a
> backup of your db and then dump the log.  When the log is full nothing more
> goes into the db.

> > I am also having the same problem and truncate does not seem to release
> any
> > space. Would appreciate help on this

> > >the result of sp_spaceused, but it didn't report anything that helped.
> > >We increased the size of the devices and the database by 400 MB, but
> > >it shows only a few MB free after that operation.

> > >Any suggestions?

> > >Thanks

> > >-------------------------------------------------

> > >If you wish to reply through email, please remove
> > >the REMOVETHIS from the beginning of my address
> > >after you hit reply. It is there to throw off
> > >junk mail programs.

Try running checktable(syslogs) in the affected database.

Darrel Knight
* Database Consultant
Tetbury, UK

1. Database Free Space? + Defrag or optimize?

[...]

2. Database procedures on Open Ingres 2.0

3. Q: Stored Proc, If Rec Exists Update Else Add HOW??

4. SQL 7 - Defrag and reclaim of free space

5. HST and new backend

6. How go query Database Free Space or Used Space via T-SQL

7. DATABASES92 - Australian Database Research Conference

8. Oracle Free Space or Space used - DBA (now index space usage)

9. to defrag or not to defrag

10. Disk space - determining free disk space

11. Calculating used space and free space in a file