Access XP install broke ASP apps

Post by Jeffrey Pik » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 01:43:18

Also posted on the Access ADO newsgroup.
Apologies for cross-posting.
I installed Access XP on a server on which Access 97 was
also installed. The installation program first asked if I
wanted to install components necessary to update the
machine to the minimum requirements, to which I said yes.

I rebooted and continued with the Access XP installation
as per the instructions in Q241141, "How to install
Access 97 and Access 2000 on the same computer". Both
versions of Access run fine. However, when we run our ASP
applications from IE we get this error:

"ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'
Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly
installed."

Indications are that this error comes from a failed or
improper installation of MDAC. I have reinstalled the
version that is on the server, 2.5 SP1. My developer has
also tried accessing the database using an ODBC driver
instead of a provider.

I assume the problem stems from my decision to allow
the "minimum required components" to be installed, but I
cannot find a list anywhere of what that step updated or
installed.

This may be coincidental, but in case it might have any
bearing, I installed Access XP on November 19, and had
not yet patched the machine for the new MDAC
vulnerability.

Thank-you for any help.
Jeffrey Pike

Access XP install broke ASP apps

Post by Val Mazu » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 01:55:52

Jeffrey,

What is your connection string? Are you using Jet 3.51 provider to connect
to database? If yes, then you would need to chage your connectionm string to
use Jet 4.0 provider (Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0)

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:> Also posted on the Access ADO newsgroup.
> Apologies for cross-posting.
> I installed Access XP on a server on which Access 97 was
> also installed. The installation program first asked if I
> wanted to install components necessary to update the
> machine to the minimum requirements, to which I said yes.

> I rebooted and continued with the Access XP installation
> as per the instructions in Q241141, "How to install
> Access 97 and Access 2000 on the same computer". Both
> versions of Access run fine. However, when we run our ASP
> applications from IE we get this error:

> "ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'
> Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly
> installed."

> Indications are that this error comes from a failed or
> improper installation of MDAC. I have reinstalled the
> version that is on the server, 2.5 SP1. My developer has
> also tried accessing the database using an ODBC driver
> instead of a provider.

> I assume the problem stems from my decision to allow
> the "minimum required components" to be installed, but I
> cannot find a list anywhere of what that step updated or
> installed.

> This may be coincidental, but in case it might have any
> bearing, I installed Access XP on November 19, and had
> not yet patched the machine for the new MDAC
> vulnerability.

> Thank-you for any help.
> Jeffrey Pike

Access XP install broke ASP apps

Post by Jeffrey Pik » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 02:28:00

Thanks, Val. That is what the connection string says.

I have both Jet 4.0 and Jet 3.x files in WINNT\System32,
(msjet40.dll and msjet35.dll, for example). Is that a
problem?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

-
>> I installed Access XP on a server on which Access 97
was
>> also installed. The installation program first asked
if I
>> wanted to install components necessary to update the
>> machine to the minimum requirements, to which I said
yes.

>> I rebooted and continued with the Access XP
installation
>> as per the instructions in Q241141, "How to install
>> Access 97 and Access 2000 on the same computer". Both
>> versions of Access run fine. However, when we run our
ASP
>> applications from IE we get this error:

>> "ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'
>> Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly
>> installed."

>> Indications are that this error comes from a failed or
>> improper installation of MDAC. I have reinstalled the
>> version that is on the server, 2.5 SP1. My developer
has
>> also tried accessing the database using an ODBC driver
>> instead of a provider.

>> I assume the problem stems from my decision to allow
>> the "minimum required components" to be installed, but
>> cannot find a list anywhere of what that step updated
or
>> installed.

>> This may be coincidental, but in case it might have any
>> bearing, I installed Access XP on November 19, and had
>> not yet patched the machine for the new MDAC
>> vulnerability.

>> Thank-you for any help.
>> Jeffrey Pike

>.

Access XP install broke ASP apps

Post by Val Mazu » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:08:46

Jeffrey

But wjhat is your connection string in application? You did not post it

> Thanks, Val. That is what the connection string says.

> I have both Jet 4.0 and Jet 3.x files in WINNT\System32,
> (msjet40.dll and msjet35.dll, for example). Is that a
> problem?

Post by Jeffrey Pik » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:38:56

Sorry, I'm the netadmin, not the dB programmer. Is part
of this what you need?
============================
function GetDataConnection()
        dim oConn, strConn
        Set oConn = Server.CreateObject
("ADODB.Connection")
strConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data
Source=d:\G_Drive\newbooks\newbooks_be.mdb"

        oConn.Open strConn
        set GetDataConnection = oConn
end function
============================
If not, what should I be looking for?

Thank-you.

---
>> -
>> was
>> if I
>> yes.

>> installation
Both
our
>> ASP

or
the
>> has
driver

but
updated
>> or

any
had

>> >.

>.

Access XP install broke ASP apps

Post by Val Mazu » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 04:39:56

Jeffry,

Yes, this is what we need and it looks like it is fine. Probaly MDAC was
corrupted when applied SP1 for MDAC. Run Component Checker utility of MDAC
2.7 (it comes with MDAC installation) and see if MDAC is not corrupted. If
it is, then only way to fix it on XP is to install Service Pack 1 for
Windows XP. Then install Jet 4.0 for XP. See next KB how to install latest
version of Jet 4.0

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q282010

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

> Sorry, I'm the netadmin, not the dB programmer. Is part
> of this what you need?
> ============================
> function GetDataConnection()
> dim oConn, strConn
> Set oConn = Server.CreateObject
> ("ADODB.Connection")
> strConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data
> Source=d:\G_Drive\newbooks\newbooks_be.mdb"

> oConn.Open strConn
> set GetDataConnection = oConn
> end function
> ============================
> If not, what should I be looking for?

> Thank-you.

Post by Jeffrey Pik » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:11:20

Okay, thanks for the suggestions, Val. We'll give them a
try.

Jeffrey Pike

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Jeffry,

>Yes, this is what we need and it looks like it is fine.
Probaly MDAC was
>corrupted when applied SP1 for MDAC. Run Component

Checker utility of MDAC
>2.7 (it comes with MDAC installation) and see if MDAC is
not corrupted. If
>it is, then only way to fix it on XP is to install
Service Pack 1 for
>Windows XP. Then install Jet 4.0 for XP. See next KB how
to install latest
>version of Jet 4.0

us;Q282010

--
>> ---
97
asked
the
said

install
>> Both
>> our

failed
>> or
>> the
developer
>> driver

allow
>> but
>> updated

have
>> any
>> had

>> >.

>.

1. VB3 mdb app broken w/Access 97 Install

A customer of mine has my VB3 app that accesses an Access 2.0 mdb running
under Windows 95.  The customer says all he did was install Office 97 -
including Access and now my app says its mdb is of the wrong type.  Does
the installation of 97 have any impact on the Jet engine already
installed?  I'm pretty sure my customer has not opened or converted the
mdb in any way.  If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

2. i think i found a bug - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION while parsing a query in query analyser

3. Installing Visual Studio 6.0 breaks 16bit ODBC apps???

4. NEW SITE

5. NTFS Permissions in XP PRO for ASP Changes to MS Access File

6. DB-Lib Apps with SQL 7

7. DELETE Records in MS Access Database from ASP on XP Pro

8. ASA 6.0.2 : ODBC-Problems with LONG-VARCHAR variables

9. ASP: Problem connecting an Access database on XP

10. Migrating Access 2000 + VB 6 App to XP

11. Prototyping ASP page on XP Pro with IIS and Access

12. SQL2000 Desktop Install Failure on Windows XP from Office XP

13. ASP app...Upgrade from Access to Sql 7