Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Ed Turmani » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 00:29:02

We have a number of applications written in 2.6. I've been tasked with
determining the feasibility of converting them to Visual Foxpro(
version uncertain). As an additional complication we will at some
point switch to Windows XP.

While perusing the microsoft.com archives I stumbled on the statement
that a foxpro 2.6 application could be recompiled and with minimal
changes run under Visual Foxpro.  Could anyone tell me if this will
hold true under Windows XP ?

Just for background information, I am primarily a mainframe
programmer. I did develop a number of Dbase applications 10 - 14 years
ago and last worked with Foxpro roughly 6 years ago so quite frankly
I'm out of my league here.
Any information you could provide on the complexity and feasibility of
this conversion will be greatly appreciated.

                 Ed Turmanian

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Craig Berntso » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 03:13:13

Yes, its basically true for XP also. However, you will not be happy with the
results. It really takes a rewrite to make use of new VFP features.

--
Craig Berntson
MCSD, VisualFoxPro MVP

Quote:> We have a number of applications written in 2.6. I've been tasked with
> determining the feasibility of converting them to Visual Foxpro(
> version uncertain). As an additional complication we will at some
> point switch to Windows XP.

> While perusing the microsoft.com archives I stumbled on the statement
> that a foxpro 2.6 application could be recompiled and with minimal
> changes run under Visual Foxpro.  Could anyone tell me if this will
> hold true under Windows XP ?

> Just for background information, I am primarily a mainframe
> programmer. I did develop a number of Dbase applications 10 - 14 years
> ago and last worked with Foxpro roughly 6 years ago so quite frankly
> I'm out of my league here.
> Any information you could provide on the complexity and feasibility of
> this conversion will be greatly appreciated.

>                  Ed Turmanian

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Rick Bea » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 04:11:15

Ed,
There is a simple answer and a "messy" one. The normal advice is to plan on
doing a rewrite  - in the long run you'll end up with a much better result.
Since you didn't say whether these were FP DOS or FP Windows apps (or both),
they require somewhat different answers depending on user expectations (look
and functionality) and how much you want to invest into this conversion.

Other than visually, there really is no difference in running a VFP app
under XP vs. the other 32-bit OSs (Win95, 98, ME, NT, 2000).

Rick

Post by Cindy Winegarde » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:17:35

Quote:> We have a number of applications written in 2.6. I've been tasked with
> determining the feasibility of converting them to Visual Foxpro(
> version uncertain). As an additional complication we will at some
> point switch to Windows XP.

Ed, in general FPW2.6 will run under WinXP just fine except for one thing
that Ed and Craig didn't mention - and the problem is not with WinXP but
with the newer, faster computer it's on. When starting FPW the user will get
a "Divide by zero" error. There is a patch that completely solves the
problem at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q240982 .

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Ed Turmani » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 23:27:15

Rick,
Thanks for the response. The old apps are written in FP DOS. Since
I've got a relatively short deadline, I think the only thing I'll be
able to do is recompile these old things and run them as is.  A
rewrite will just have to be deferred.

> Ed,
> There is a simple answer and a "messy" one. The normal advice is to plan on
> doing a rewrite  - in the long run you'll end up with a much better result.
> Since you didn't say whether these were FP DOS or FP Windows apps (or both),
> they require somewhat different answers depending on user expectations (look
> and functionality) and how much you want to invest into this conversion.

> Other than visually, there really is no difference in running a VFP app
> under XP vs. the other 32-bit OSs (Win95, 98, ME, NT, 2000).

> Rick

> > We have a number of applications written in 2.6. I've been tasked with
> > determining the feasibility of converting them to Visual Foxpro(
> > version uncertain). As an additional complication we will at some
> > point switch to Windows XP.

> > While perusing the microsoft.com archives I stumbled on the statement
> > that a foxpro 2.6 application could be recompiled and with minimal
> > changes run under Visual Foxpro.  Could anyone tell me if this will
> > hold true under Windows XP ?

> > Just for background information, I am primarily a mainframe
> > programmer. I did develop a number of Dbase applications 10 - 14 years
> > ago and last worked with Foxpro roughly 6 years ago so quite frankly
> > I'm out of my league here.
> > Any information you could provide on the complexity and feasibility of
> > this conversion will be greatly appreciated.

> >                  Ed Turmanian

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Ed Turmani » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 23:31:15

Cindy,
    Thanks for the tip.  I just now discovered that these are written in FP DOS.
   Does this require a different patch ?

> > We have a number of applications written in 2.6. I've been tasked with
> > determining the feasibility of converting them to Visual Foxpro(
> > version uncertain). As an additional complication we will at some
> > point switch to Windows XP.

> Ed, in general FPW2.6 will run under WinXP just fine except for one thing
> that Ed and Craig didn't mention - and the problem is not with WinXP but
> with the newer, faster computer it's on. When starting FPW the user will get
> a "Divide by zero" error. There is a patch that completely solves the
> problem at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q240982 .

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Cindy Winegarde » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 00:07:01

Quote:> Cindy,
>     Thanks for the tip.  I just now discovered that these are written
> in FP DOS.    Does this require a different patch ?

FP DOS doens't have the divide by zero problem. There are other problems
I've seen reported, which a Google search will bring up. I haven't used FPD
with WinXP.

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by jsm.mauric » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 00:44:16

Ed,

I tried once to launch a FPDOS 2.0 app under WXP and it worked fine (a lot
better than under W98) but I didn't try to print.

Compiling a dos app under VFP will work but the results are awful. I have
done 5 translations, all 'rewritten'. First one with as few changes as
possible. With the last one, you can not recognize the initial app and the
customer is VERY happy. I mean that, using OOP and other new feaures, I have
improved my app so much, that users do not want to use the old DOS app any
more as it was previously expected for some part.

My problem with VFP is that the learning curve has been very very long : I
had to discover Windows AND Visual Fox (I am an old DOS programmer).

HTH

--

unable to forget {^2001.09.11}

PS Cindy, what are you doing here ?  ;-)

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by fraja » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:38:25

I have been through this mill recently! I had an successful application
written in Clipper code and wanted to move to a Windows platform. I
tried Visual dbase (before it was abandoned by Borland) and did not like
it. I then tried Xbase++ but the 'coding' proved too formidable. I next
went to VFP and I am happy report that I moved the entire application
with all the enhanced features expected in windows. Let me outline my
approach to moving to foxpro :

1. Play around with VFP to become familiar with the sequence of
   operations.
2. Get a good book (such as the one from Que) and work through the
   Microsoft Programmers Guide for VFP.
3. Start your conversion with designing the first screen. This may be a
   menu system...or if you feel adventurous abandon menus and use
   command buttons !
4. Keep working from there. You will find that a lot of the code you
   have already written can be used with minimal change (generally in
   the background for click events etc). I have a series of complex
   manupulations that generates  text files from the databases and I
   used the code with little change.
5. Enhance the application with the new features of VFP.
6. Don't get discouraged...try the forums for answers when you
   are stuck.

There is no other way...you have to move your application to Windows if
it is to survive.

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Tripod13 » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 02:39:16

I currently use FPW 2.6a on 700+MHz machines.  They run 95, NT nd XP.
It is a crapshoot as to whether I get the Divide by Zero error when
trying to start up my application.  And that is AFTER I applied the
300MHz+ patch.

It was mentioned that you can recompile the FPW 2.6a code under VFP and
it will work, but you won't be happy with the results?

What kinds of results do you get?

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Cindy Winegarde » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 04:14:19

Quote:> I currently use FPW 2.6a on 700+MHz machines.  They run 95, NT nd XP.
> It is a crapshoot as to whether I get the Divide by Zero error when
> trying to start up my application.  And that is AFTER I applied the
> 300MHz+ patch.

Did you patch both the FoxPro.EXE and the FOXW2600.ESL ? I don't have any
problems at all running on either of my 1GHz machines.

Quote:> It was mentioned that you can recompile the FPW 2.6a code under VFP
> and it will work, but you won't be happy with the results?

> What kinds of results do you get?

Xbase code works just fine. You can run the SPR files as programs but
they're not pretty.

Converting foxpro 2.6 to visual foxpro

Post by Tripod13 » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 05:23:39

I applied the patch to both files.  It is flakey.  It will work on some
machines and not others.  When my current machine was running NT SP6,
Fox worked fine.  When I upgraded to XP professional, I couldn't get
into the FoxProW environment (w/o the divde by 0 error) w/o first
running one of my EXEs.  After that, I could open and close FPW as many
times as I liked.  Just recently, after either 1) OS patches, that seem
to come out weekly or 2) the installation of other software on my
machine (700MHz), I can now get into FoxProW w/ no problems.

Anyway, thank you for your prompt reply.