Seeking advice re FoxBASE/Mac->to FP2.5 vs FP2.6 vs Visual FP3.0

Seeking advice re FoxBASE/Mac->to FP2.5 vs FP2.6 vs Visual FP3.0

Post by James R. Buss » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I wrote a large application in FoxBASE/Mac 2.01, even though programming
has mostly been a hobby. Finally, I have some time in which to begin to
convert my old code. I presently do own FoxPro 2.5 Mac
(Professional/Distribution version).

Would anyone be kind enough to recommend:

1. If I rewrite the code for FoxPro 2.5, will it also run under 2.6?

2. Should I first obtain version 2.6, before starting?

3. Once this is done, anyone know whether a second rewrite, for Visual
FoxPro 3.0, would be worth the trouble?  Will be a smaller or a bigger
job? (I assume I cannot port directly, i.e. that Visual FoxPro cannot
handle or translate any FoxBASE/Mac code)

Many thanks, in advance.
Jim Busser
Vancouver, BC CANADA

--

University of British Columbia, Canada

:
: Would anyone be kind enough to recommend:
:
: 1. If I rewrite the code for FoxPro 2.5, will it also run under 2.6?

If the Mac product is similar to the PC product, then yes, as the two
differed very little at the language level.

: 2. Should I first obtain version 2.6, before starting?

I recommend getting the latest version for your platform, which on the
Mac would be 3.0.

Please keep in mind that there will probably be no more versions of
FoxPro or Visual FoxPro for the Mac.  Most of the shops I support that
have Macs also have PCs and sometimes other platforms as well.  Since
VFP, while a very nice product, is no longer genuinely cross-platform,
I generally recommend writing HTML and/or Java front ends to a
back-end database implemented using some combination of VFP, a SQL
server, or both.

: 3. Once this is done, anyone know whether a second rewrite, for Visual
: FoxPro 3.0, would be worth the trouble?  Will be a smaller or a bigger
: job? (I assume I cannot port directly, i.e. that Visual FoxPro cannot
: handle or translate any FoxBASE/Mac code)

Visual FoxPro (VFP) is a significantly different product from FoxPro
or FoxBase.  While the language is mostly compatible, and the tables
are upward-compatible (and can be shared among versions if you're VERY
careful), forms are not; they do need a rewrite to go from anything
prior to VFP into VFP.  This may be true of reports as well although
since the only Mac FoxPro I've used is 2.6, I'm not sure about earlier
or later versions.

Joe

Post by Bruce Sheffe » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I wrote a large application in FoxBASE/Mac 2.01, even though programming
> has mostly been a hobby. Finally, I have some time in which to begin to
> convert my old code. I presently do own FoxPro 2.5 Mac
> (Professional/Distribution version).

> Would anyone be kind enough to recommend:

> 1. If I rewrite the code for FoxPro 2.5, will it also run under 2.6?

> 2. Should I first obtain version 2.6, before starting?

> 3. Once this is done, anyone know whether a second rewrite, for Visual
> FoxPro 3.0, would be worth the trouble?  Will be a smaller or a bigger
> job? (I assume I cannot port directly, i.e. that Visual FoxPro cannot
> handle or translate any FoxBASE/Mac code)

> Many thanks, in advance.
> Jim Busser
> Vancouver, BC CANADA

> --

> University of British Columbia, Canada

When they first released foxpro 2.5 win they claimed that a program
written solely within foxpro and using the screen generator to create
all screens would work exactly between windows and mac.  therefore you
should be able to migrate your mac programs to windows.  Going to 2.6
should not matter.  You cannot do the migration without a copy of foxwin
but I don't know if you can migrate directly to visual foxpro.

Post by Perry.Fect.. » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I wrote a large application in FoxBASE/Mac 2.01, even though programming
>has mostly been a hobby. Finally, I have some time in which to begin to
>convert my old code. I presently do own FoxPro 2.5 Mac
>(Professional/Distribution version).

>Would anyone be kind enough to recommend:

>1. If I rewrite the code for FoxPro 2.5, will it also run under 2.6?

in most cases, yes.

Quote:>2. Should I first obtain version 2.6, before starting?

not really necessary.

Quote:>3. Once this is done, anyone know whether a second rewrite, for Visual
>FoxPro 3.0, would be worth the trouble?  Will be a smaller or a bigger
>job? (I assume I cannot port directly, i.e. that Visual FoxPro cannot
>handle or translate any FoxBASE/Mac code)

i wouldn't recommend writing anything in visual foxpro 3.0.... go
straight to 5.0 if you can.  3.0 was very buggy and very messy.  you
can port directly but it will be very ugly and a waste of resources.

also, you're going to have to learn object orientation if you go to
visual foxpro.  a good book for starters is a book by david a. taylor.

----------------------=>)FNKSHN FOR FOXPRO 2.X(<=-------------------------
Try out the Top Ten Downloaded* FNKSHN library written by Perry Fect
And did I also mention that it's *FREE*!?!?
http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto/fnkshn.html
Coming Soon: FNKSHN 1.2 The Final FNKSHN library for 2.x
             ObjectSHN 1.2 The Object-Oriented version of FNKSHN
----------------------=>)FNKSHN FOR FOXPRO 2.X(<=-------------------------
* FNKSHN made the Top Ten Downloads list on the Visual FoxPro Yellow Pages

Seeking advice re FoxBASE/Mac->to FP2.5 vs FP2.6 vs Visual FP3.0

Post by Geoffrey M. Inge » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> i wouldn't recommend writing anything in visual foxpro 3.0.... go
> straight to 5.0 if you can.  3.0 was very buggy and very messy.  you
> can port directly but it will be very ugly and a waste of resources.

Of course, that's only if none of the machines are running Win3.1..  If so,
you'll have to use version 3.0.  Of course <g>, if that's the case, you
might want to gently pressure them to move on to Win95, in which case you
certainly should use 5.0.

Post by Paul Schra » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I wrote a large application in FoxBASE/Mac 2.01, even though programming
> has mostly been a hobby. Finally, I have some time in which to begin to
> convert my old code. I presently do own FoxPro 2.5 Mac
> (Professional/Distribution version).

> Would anyone be kind enough to recommend:

> 1. If I rewrite the code for FoxPro 2.5, will it also run under 2.6?

> 2. Should I first obtain version 2.6, before starting?

> 3. Once this is done, anyone know whether a second rewrite, for Visual
> FoxPro 3.0, would be worth the trouble?  Will be a smaller or a bigger
> job? (I assume I cannot port directly, i.e. that Visual FoxPro cannot
> handle or translate any FoxBASE/Mac code)

> University of British Columbia, Canada

I am glad you said REWRITE because that is exactly what you will need to
do.  I tried this sometime ago and quickly came to this conclusion.

Good luck trying to purchase FoxPro 2.x

--

Business Technology Consultant
NB: remove ".NOSPAM" when replying

Post by Neil McKame » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > I wrote a large application in FoxBASE/Mac 2.01...
> > 1. If I rewrite the code for FoxPro 2.5, will it also run under 2.6?
> > 2. Should I first obtain version 2.6, before starting?
> > 3. Once this is done, anyone know whether a second rewrite, for Visual
> > FoxPro 3.0, would be worth the trouble?  Will be a smaller or a bigger
> > job? (I assume I cannot port directly, i.e. that Visual FoxPro cannot
> > handle or translate any FoxBASE/Mac code)

> When they first released foxpro 2.5 win they claimed that a program
> written solely within foxpro and using the screen generator to create
> all screens would work exactly between windows and mac.

Yes, they claimed this. It was a bald-faced, shameful lie. I remember
when FoxPro Mac
came out and I ran their migration app on my FoxBASE program, believing
it would be no
big deal. Imagine my surprise when it flagged about 25% of my code as
not supported in
the new FP; in some cases it couldn't even recommend a place to look in
the manual because
there was functionality lost between the versions (e.g. the ability to
capture a picture
of the active window). All menu code had to be completely redone and
most of the screens
had to be completely redone. And what was left was unable to take
advantage of most of
FoxPro's desirable features, notably Rushmore Optimization which is the
second-greatest
thing since sliced bread.

I think FoxPro Mac is really a decent product (once you've adjusted to
the infuriating
things about it, of course), but unless you specifically want to take
advantage of things
like Rushmore and ODBC, there's no reason to migrate a FoxBASE program
to it. And if you DO
want to take advantage of the new features, you'll have as much
migrating as rewriting to do.

As far as version 2.5, go directly to version 2.6 -- there only a few
features added between
the versions (and those are largely undocumented) but there's quite a
lot of bug fixing. My
experience is that 2.5 is far less stable.

Visual FoxPro does a great job converting 2.6 projects but is such a
huge jump from FoxBASE Mac
that you'll have to do a complete rewrite. FoxBase is sort of like a
sporty little vintage
MG compared to VFP's lumbering 18-wheeler, but if you've got heavy
hauling to do the choice is
easy. You mentioned that this is basically a hobby for you. VFP could
take 6 months just to get
to what I consider a basic level of proficiency, so unless you think
you'll have fun learning
object-oriented programming and thinking up slick GUI tricks, it's
probably not worth the time.

- Neil

Seeking advice re FoxBASE/Mac->to FP2.5 vs FP2.6 vs Visual FP3.0

Post by Paul Mal » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I wrote a large application in FoxBASE/Mac 2.01, even though programming
> has mostly been a hobby. Finally, I have some time in which to begin to
> convert my old code. I presently do own FoxPro 2.5 Mac
> (Professional/Distribution version).

> Would anyone be kind enough to recommend:

> 1. If I rewrite the code for FoxPro 2.5, will it also run under 2.6?

> 2. Should I first obtain version 2.6, before starting?

> 3. Once this is done, anyone know whether a second rewrite, for Visual
> FoxPro 3.0, would be worth the trouble?  Will be a smaller or a bigger
> job? (I assume I cannot port directly, i.e. that Visual FoxPro cannot
> handle or translate any FoxBASE/Mac code)

I've been most of the way down this road already, and here's my humble opinion:

1.  You're right in thinking that FoxBASE to FoxPro (2.x or Visual) is a
rewrite, not a port; likewise from 2.x to VFP.

2.  It's not worth the effort. I'm still using a rock-steady FoxBASE app
on my PowerMac, but FoxPro 2.6a is quite unstable under OS8, and VFP 3
(which I don't own and can't vouch for the stability of) is the end of the
line for FoxPro on the Mac - Microsoft is not continuing to develop for
it.

There's enough new to learn even in FP 2.x that you're better off biting
the bullet and switching to something with a future on the Mac (as if the
Mac had a future!). If your needs are straightforward, FileMaker Pro might
do, otherwise it's 4th Dimension or Omnis. Both are powerful and
cross-platform. I opted for Omnis Studio, 6 weeks ago, and haven't
regretted it since.

Paul M.

--
Paul Malin
A.V.H.P

1. FoxBase+ 2.01 Reports in FP2.6 for mac....

Hello All,

We are having a problem converting Foxbase+ 2.01 for MS-DOS report files,
(.FRM Extension) into Fox Pro 2.6a for the Macintosh.  We have converted all
other files, programs, tables, etc without a problem.  The user guide
indicates that the open file dialog should display files with a .FRM
extension when the report format is chosen.  This is not case.  Only
files with a .FRX extension are shown.  When we choose ALL FILES and
open a report, the transporter chokes and gives the following error:

        Postion is off the screen.
        Line Number: 8567
        Press any key to cleanup and exit.

The command window shows the following command executed:
MODIFY REPORT untitled:advisor.frm

Has anyone else experienced this?  I checked the Microsoft ftp site
and there was nothing about this problem listed in thier knowledge base.

The program is running on a PPC running system 7.5.1
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Send e-mail to

Kris Virtue
University of California, San Diego
Dept. of Bioengineering

2. SQL Problem

3. FoxBase+ 2.01 Reports in FP2.6a for mac....

4. Where is VBSQL.OCX?

5. FP2.6 Mac->SQL 7 PC Port

6. migration

7. 2 problems FP2.0 & FP2.6

8. Web database interfaces

9. Some questions on converting FP2.0 to FP2.6 for DOS

10. VFP vs FP2.6a

11. Visual Basic vs .FP3 files

12. converted reports from foxbase+ to FP2.6Mac