Ult Plus Rs6000 Dog!

Post by Msci » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 07:18:46

Running ult plus on an rs6000.   It is a model 550.   Been sold a 590 as
the "answer" to our performance problems.

The questions I have are myriad, but I'll keep it simple: will this
thing actually speed up ult plus or is the bottleneck(s) in the
disc sub-system and the OS itself going to make this seem not
very fast at all?

They (IBM) talked in MIPS and megaflops.  I've done some sar -u testing
and indeed the processor does seem to be a bottleneck right now.

(also did sar -r testing)..

paging is not especially taxed.  Never get over about 20-40 percent.

Anyone out there know anything about these boxes.

I like to stay away from the Iron and the people that sell them.
A decade ago there were a lot of real estate dropouts selling boxes
to people that had no business dropping 200k for a computer that
was being sold by someone who could not even edit a file.

What would that be?  Vapor-ware for software.   There must have been
a name for non-existent hardware.

A lot of the time a simple swap in hardware did nothing more than
relieve a customer of excess cash.

thanks

M. C.

Ult Plus Rs6000 Dog!

Post by Karl B. Carapellot » Fri, 24 Feb 1995 01:47:13

>Subject: Ult Plus Rs6000 Dog!
>Date: 21 Feb 1995 22:18:46 GMT
>Running ult plus on an rs6000.   It is a model 550.   Been sold a 590 as
>the "answer" to our performance problems.
>The questions I have are myriad, but I'll keep it simple: will this
>thing actually speed up ult plus or is the bottleneck(s) in the
>disc sub-system and the OS itself going to make this seem not
>very fast at all?

Don't have any of the answers to your questions re: RS6000, but I can offer a
word of advice ....
As much of a headache as it may be, try to get the vendor(s) to provide a
'test' box for you to checkout. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the
'solution' being just a costly replacement of the same problem... it happens.
The only person/people who can remedy this problem is/are the BUYERS. If you
don't feel comfortable with the support (before and after), or with the
displayed knowledgablity of the sales force, or with the quoted performance,
THEN DON'T BUY (at least without a test or a guarantee [ and make sure the
'guarantee' is more than just a salesman's word!]).
- point in case:
Two years ago I was given the responsibility of deciding whether to upgrade
our Ultimate (native) system, or replace it with something else. Well, the
price/maintenance/performance curve of the Ultimate made it a poor selection,
and, coming from a fairly extensive CIE/General Automation background, I felt
absolutely comfortable that a G/A advantage would do the trick. However, I
still wanted to CMA, so I worked a deal with the G/A rep to obtain a 'test'
box, tried transferring my data and programs (sucessfully!), and then
recompiled, modified where needed, and tested my software. My personal
assumptions were justified, BUT I also had the added ammunition of PROOF.

Bottom line is: I needed more than my 'feeling' or verbal assurances that this
would work, and the G/A rep was willing to work with me...Result - another
sale for G/A, 2 years of hassle-free operation, MAJOR performance increase,
LOWER costs to operate (even with increased hardware capabilities), and a big
feather in my cap at work.

As I said ... The only person that can prevent you from getting 'taken' (even
honestly) is YOU...

And, as has been said before : "Fool me once, shame on you. Foll me twice,
shame on ME"

Ult Plus Rs6000 Dog!

Post by Eugene D Tyl » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 12:55:46

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your UltPlus RS/6000
system. In order to help you solve the problems, some details might be
helpful:
  UltPlus Release
  AIX Release
  Real memory size
  Disc Configuration
  Application in use

as to your somewhat unintelligible comments regarding (I think) sales
people, I guess when you buy something as complicated as a computer
system, you should take some responsibility for ensuring the system will
meet your needs.

One other point, you seem to be posting from a student account at the
institution shown in the header. However, some details in the header
indicate you may not be who you claim to be, for example the bogus phone
number.

If in fact you are having a problem, either post the details here or e-mail
me directly and I will do my best.

Regards,
Dale
(Note that I work for Wang Laboratories and am responsible for the continuing
 development of UltPlus and the Ultimate Operating System, along with the
 rest of the folks at 1063 McGaw)

Ult Plus Rs6000 Dog!

Post by David Ro » Mon, 27 Feb 1995 10:16:06

Quote:>I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your UltPlus RS/6000
>system. In order to help you solve the problems, some details might be
>helpful:
>  UltPlus Release
>  AIX Release
>  Real memory size
>  Disc Configuration
>  Application in use

You might also consider running some of the unix performance monitoring tools,
and try and locate the bottleneck (cpu, memory or disk) This may help you
decide if the problem is fixable by tuning or the purchase of additional
hardware. The copy I infrequently run on my rs600/320 seems to run OK single
user.

(I have a good monitor program I got of an ftp site in finland, email me if
you want a copy).

Quote:>Regards,
>Dale

regards,
dave.

------_-_----------------------------------------------------------------------
|     o o      |              David Rose,                    |      .--_|\    |
|      !       |      Fly By Night Programming,              |     /      \   |
|   '''=```    |              Australia.                     |     \_.--.*/   |
-------~-----------------------------------------------------------------v-----
Most people I know think that I am crazy            (.. Billy Thorpe circa 1973)
Especially the "application programmers" on comp.databases.pick  (me circa 1994)

Ult Plus Rs6000 Dog!

Post by B.. » Mon, 27 Feb 1995 20:40:44

 > Running ult plus on an rs6000.   It is a model 550.
 > Been sold a 590 as the "answer" to our performance problems.
 > The questions I have are myriad, but I'll keep it simple:
 > will this thing actually speed up ult plus
[---snip---]
 > thanks > M. C.

Yes, of course it will.  But maybe you should check for a
clogged fuel filter, before you replace your car's engine, eh?

Which reminds me of an old story.

Some IBM people are on a business trip.  Suddenly, their car
has a flat tire.  They pull over to the side of the road,
plug their portable Elmo projector into the cigarette lighter,
and begin a meeting.  The driver says, "What should we do?"
The field service engineer replies, "Let's jack up the car and
rotate the tires, so we can isolate the faulty component."
Next, the software support analyst says, "No, let's just turn
off the car, and turn it on again, and then see if the problem
happens again."  Then, the sales rep concludes, "Nope.  Need
a new car."

***

And the sales rep's answer WOULD fix the problem!

***

BEGIN CASE ;

CASE PROBLEM = RS/6000 hardware ;

Check for hardware problems.  If "sar" shows that your cpu
is busy when nobody (except you) is logged in, then you
may have a hardware problem, such as an unterminated cable.

***

CASE PROBLEM = Aix/6000 software ;

The MOST common cause of performance problems
in the Aix/6000 OS is bad scheduling of processes.
The easiest way to fix this is, usually, to install
"schedtune", and then put "schedtune -h0" in your /etc/rc.
For more details, see IBM's "schedtune" man pages.

Another common cause of problems is swapping/paging
due to multiple users using the same user id number.
Make sure that each terminal logs in with a *unique*
Aix user id number.

It is NOT sufficent to have unique Aix user id names.
The Aix user id numbers, too, must be unique.

There are many other common Aix/6000 performance problems.
If you'd like me to refer you to Aix tuning consultants,
send me Email.

***

CASE PROBLEM = ULT PLUS tuning ;

The most common cause of performance problems in the ULT OS
is underallocated data files.  To check for this condition,
logto SYSPROG, do a full save or a fake save, and then look
at your most undersized files, using the command,

SORT STAT-FILE WITH ITM/GP > "3.0" AND WITH FRM/GP > "3.0"
 BY-DSND FRM/GP FRM/GP USERX NAME DBL-SPC LPTR

The first few files on this report may be the ones which
are causing your performance problems.  Get them resized!

Of course, if your performance problem are caused by badly
sized temporary work files, then those files may be
empty or non-existent when you do your nightly back up.
So, you may need to look at those files using the "GROUP (S)"
verb, while the files are being used.

There are many other common causes of performance problems
in the Ultimate OS.  There are many readers of this news-
group who can help you diagnose your problems, but you must
post a fuller description of your observations.
What does your application do?  Is it slow for data entry,
reports, or both?  Is the performance getting worse?
Have you made any recent changes to your software or hardware
or number of users or other possible performance factors?

***

CASE PROBLEM = Inefficient application code ;

A little bit of manual optimizing, in just a few routines,
may greatly improve the performance of the entire system.

***

CASE 1 ;

Of course, if all else fails, then you might improve the
performance of your RS/6000 system by migrating your app-
lications from ULT to AP (Advanced Pick) or to JB (JBase)
or to PI (PI/Open) or to UV (uni*Verse) or the other UV
(UniVision) or to UDT (UniData) ...
... and you can probably guess which one I'd recommend.

regards,
Ben
--
Ben Rosenberg * Unidata, Inc., Customer Support

Ult Plus Rs6000 Dog!

Post by jim w stephe » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 04:27:41

> > Running ult plus on an rs6000.   It is a model 550.
> > Been sold a 590 as the "answer" to our performance problems.

[---snip---]

Quote:>...  Then, the sales rep concludes, "Nope.  Need
>a new car."

[---snip---]

Quote:

>And the sales rep's answer WOULD fix the problem!

[---snip---]

Quote:>Of course, if all else fails, then you might improve the
>performance of your RS/6000 system by migrating your app-
>lications from ULT to AP (Advanced Pick) or to JB (JBase)
>or to PI (PI/Open) or to UV (uni*Verse) or the other UV
>(UniVision) or to UDT (UniData) ...
>... and you can probably guess which one I'd recommend.

   from above

Quote:>And the sales rep's answer WOULD fix the problem!

                            could change

  thinking of working for IBM, Ben?  Maybe he should fix
  the tire, not buy a new car I believe you said?

  I think this is a case of " throw mud on the car, set
  it on fire, need new car" anyway, having heard no
  details about the problem posted but the first mud
  sling.

>regards,
>Ben
>--
>Ben Rosenberg * Unidata, Inc., Customer Support

url  ftp://www.std.com/pub/jws/jws.html

1. ULT Plus to uniVerse

Just try a R83 save from the ULT Plus system, and use the ACCT.RESTORE
program within uniVerse. Compile the BP (or whatever it's called on
your system), and you should not too many problems.  ULTIMATE was
selling uniVerse as ULT/ix for a while.

You may wish to run the utility "SETUP.ULTIX.B" in APP.PROGS within
uniVerse.  It will setup some additional compatibility with uniVerse
and Ultimate.  I assume (remember what assume stands for) that
the compatibility will be the same for ULTIMATE PLUS as well
as generic ultimate.

Ray

2. US-CO-DEVELOPER

3. Using Additional UNIX Printers on Ult PLUS

4. request for database bug 'war stories'

5. ult plus to universe

6. ANNOUNCE: Free Java Web D/B Seminars, SF/NYC

7. Ult+ to Unidata

8. ?? RDBMS Index Structures, PATRICIA Tree

9. Via Objects syntax on ult+

10. Managing Overflow in Ult+

11. OSS & Ult+ references

12. Any Ultimate/Ult+ users ??