Error renaming table file to a temp table table caused ingres to crash

Error renaming table file to a temp table table caused ingres to crash

Post by Paul Sprost » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Imagine the following scenario ...

There are two tables on the system that a user requires access to run of a report ie

on Week 2000/49 they need to run of a report for week 2000/32 before it gets deleted automatically.

They forget to run of this before the week 2000/32 is yapped and users are creating list 2000/50

you are not allowed to kick anyone of the system and you require to get the list for 2000/32 back using the backup.

So....

I created to temporary tables exactly the same as the ones required and modified accordingly.
I then renamed the table files retrieved from the backup to the temporary filenames accordingly.
I then modified the table again and tried loading the list 2000/32 into the tables they are required in.

This avertedly crashed the server so everyone was still attached to ingres but couldn't run anything.

Once the system was backup I looked at the errlog to see all errors which occurred around the time of crash.

E_DM92CB_DMIP_ERROR_INFO    An error occurred while using the space management scheme on table temp_pls, database hjcspls
E_DM92DD_DMIP_ERROR_INFO   Error fixing FHDR for a file

these happened a few times before while I was shutting it down and it came up with
E_PS0501_SESSION_OPEN There were open sessions when trying to shut down the parser facility

and then its mainly errors on shutting down the other user sessions that are running

Is there a patch of some sort to stop this crash happening or can someone provide me with more info on the reason this error occurred ...

Thanks in Advance

Paul

1. Temp table vs Global Temp table

I think this is a very simple question, however, I don't know the
answer.  What is the
difference between a regular Temp table and a Global Temp table?  I need
to create
a temp table within an sp that all users will use.  I want the table
recreated each
time someone accesses the sp, though, because some of the same info may
need
to be inserted and I don't want any PK errors.

thanks!!
Toni Eibner

2. security in distributed databases

3. ALTER TABLE on temp tables, table variables

4. Oracle Resources (JOBS, RESUMES, LINKS, TUNING SCRIPT)!

5. create temp table: -261 Cannot create file for table - Not owner

6. Newbie-to-be question

7. renaming global temp tables ?

8. WANTED: .dbt spell-checker

9. Possible to rename a temp table?

10. sequence of selects in stored proc (want to rename temp table)

11. temp table in a sp cause VB ADO's err 3265

12. temp table cause recompile

13. table schema causes crash