DOS Database Recommendations Invited (long)

DOS Database Recommendations Invited (long)

Post by Mark W. Nauma » Sat, 25 Jan 1992 02:54:02

Here is the problem.  I want to create an application which is able to
store information in a central database.  There are (potentially) 100+
DOS users.  Each user shall have a "private" and a "public" database;
the private database is accessed only by those with the correct
password; the public database is accessed by anyone.  The information
stored in the database will consist of personal schedules and project
specific notes.  A secretary may update other-peoples' schedules when
scheduling meetings, etc.  When a project is updated, all people
assigned to that project are notified: when a meeting is rescheduled,
all people attending are notified.

The notification must take the form of a message to the user.  The
user will confirm the change or will be given an option to suggest an
alternative.  If the notification/confirmation function can be handled
by the database, then I'd like to stay away from a specific "mailer".

Since scheduling information is stored in the database, I'd like to be
able to display the data in the following format (week at a glance):

        Mon     Tue     Wed     Thu     Fri
7am     Do this ...     ...     ...     ...
7:30am          Meeting ...     ...     ...
...                     etc     ...     ...
8:30pm                                  go home

Since normal text mode won't allow me to put a lot of information in a
given "screen cell" I'd like to be able to (possibly) reduce the scale
of the font.  I could use a C or C++ routine to display the data, but
I'd need a product which includes a C callable API.  The C application
would run on the user's PC, the data would be stored at a central
server node.  (I could also redesign the screen output.)

The user interface must be easy to use, and one-key (configurable)
navigation.

I realize that the scheduling part of this project could be satisfied
by existing programs, but information regarding the schedule is
maintained in the central database.  And additional (user-specific)
data is required on the screen as well.

So in a nutshell:
        Banyan (sp?) networking software
        100+ DOS users
        Central Database
        Shared and Private Data areas
        C API interface (if necessary)
        Access to notification/confirmation functionality
        Easy to learn/use (configurable) interface

Has anyone evaluated the DOS-based products for a similar application?
Since I am new to database programming, I am unfamiliar with the
available DOS-based database products (Programming is not new to me.
I've been developing OSI/DECnet/proprietary networking software,
operating systems, and C/C++ applications for several years.  I'm
interested in developing an end-user database application, now).

I called FOXPRO today: they are going to stop selling their
unlimited-user product in favor of a 6-user product (?) (I don't know
if this means I cannot use FOXPRO.  I don't want the database company
to stop supporting the underlying technology of my application.)
Borland Paradox seems to have graphics capability.  I haven't checked
with others yet.

Any recommendations?   I cannot afford a large $cash$ outlay.  Since
I'll have (potentially) many user's, is getting a developer's discount
recommended? and how would I do this?

Since this application is specific, please mail directly to me.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Naumann               Hemipteran Exterminator
Motorola TSD, DW278        UUCP: {uunet|noao}!asuvax!mcdphx!naumann

Tempe, Arizona 85282       VOICE,FAX: 602/438-3580, 602/438-3836

Mark

Mark Naumann               Hemipteran Exterminator
Motorola TSD, DW278        UUCP: {uunet|noao}!asuvax!mcdphx!naumann

Tempe, Arizona 85282       VOICE,FAX: 602/438-3580, 602/438-3836

DOS Database Recommendations Invited (long)

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sun, 26 Jan 1992 06:54:06

Quote:>Since normal text mode won't allow me to put a lot of information in a
>given "screen cell" I'd like to be able to (possibly) reduce the scale
>of the font.

There's always 50-line screen mode if you have VGA's everywhere and
good eyesight.

Quote:>I called FOXPRO today: they are going to stop selling their
>unlimited-user product in favor of a 6-user product (?) (I don't know
>if this means I cannot use FOXPRO.  I don't want the database company
>to stop supporting the underlying technology of my application.)
>Borland Paradox seems to have graphics capability.  I haven't checked
>with others yet.

You can add more than 6 users, you just have to pay for additional
packages.  The idea seems to be to lower the price on the initial
package to be more competitive for small installations.  As far
as I have been able to find out, the FP2 distribution kit will still
allow unlimited network users on the runtime package or the
standalone .exe's.  Unless you have more than 6 developers you should
be able to buy one lan package plus the distribution kit and still
let everyone run your application.  Am I wrong about this?

Les Mikesell