NT vs Linux vs SCO

Post by Max » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

:>I am considering changing our Pick database from AT&T Unix to
:>another platform.
:>Does anybody have information on how NT performs compared to Linux ?
:>NT is supposed to be a resource monster, but is this true when
:>running 100 users on a Pick database ?

100 simultaneous users exercising the db under NT would be horrible,
more or less depending on particularities of the applications.

: If some of your goals are to have a fileserver that can be used by your users
: (and they like using the win95/NT expolorer) to save their word documents and
: send each other email and attach graphics etc to the emails, then the
: resources required to run NT are not wasted.

A Unix or Linux fileserver would of course serve w95 or NT or Mac
or NCs...

: If on the other hand, your' looking for a "kick arse" pick box that runs
: wyse50 terminal sessions and you what to be able to print 3,000 invoices a
: second, and your users don't know what a mouse is, then a unix based solution
: would be more suitable. If this is the case, I would question using Linux
: (as much as I like it and use it myself, you are really left to support yourself)
: I would suggest you look at SCO or some other commercial product where you
: can call a 1800 number when you have problem and get some help from someone
: who supports these systems for a living, not as a hobby.

: Commercial support is also a reason you might choose NT over unix.

Caldera, owned by former Novell CEO Ray Noorda, offers a commercial
Linux with excellent support and many value additions proprietary to
Caldera.

But don't rule out SCO Openserver at all... check it out as well as
Caldera's Linux. SCO has a lower cost of ownership than NT during
the lifecycle.

Max Southall
PRN Infosystems

1. NT vs SCO - Oracle vs SQLServer

Help!

The subject says it all. Big decision to make real soon. Performance and
scalability are the issues. Cost is secondary. Management is not an issue
as we have prototypes in both. We are talking 40 million records with about
40 million reads per day and 100,000 writes.

--
Best Regards

Keith Teare
President/CEO
Go Inc.
Tel: +1-415-328-8885
Fax: +1-415-328-8886
Cell: +1-415-370-9676

2. How to return an IDENTITY value of the record a Stored Procedure has just UPDATED???

3. Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

4. Divide by zero

5. NT vs SCO, which would you pick?

6. Some icons do not appear on ADI toolbar

7. Universe - NT vs. SCO

8. Compacting an Access Database

9. Solaris x86 vs Linux vs *BSD for PostgreSQL?

10. Oracle 7 vs 8, Unix vs NT

11. NT vs W2k vs Unix

12. Oracle vs NT vs ...

13. Oracle 7 vs 8 and Oracle Unix vs Win/NT