Pick and Pick-like windows for dumb terminals

Pick and Pick-like windows for dumb terminals

Post by Lee Krawczy » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello to all.

Last month I posted this article and got a number of responses.  I want
to thank those who did.

I've decided to post it again because the reponses I got were extremely
diverse.  I'd like to get some more.

I have been following this newsgroup for awhile and I think it might be a
good place to get some opinions.
I am a contractor/consultant since '85.  About a year and a half ago I
was asked to build a Health Care Review system by one of my clients.  I
naturally jumped at it, but it posed some interesting problems.

In order to compete with ORACLE, INFORMIX, and SYBASE I had to come up
with a way to pop windows on dumb terminals.  PICK and the PICK-likes had
no intrinsic way of doing this so I developed some called routines.
These routines take the place of PRINT and CRT statements and create a
memory map of the specific terminal.  This makes it possible to use other
routines to open multiple levels of windows and close them.  The nice
thing about these routines is that they don't require a major rewrite of
any code or revamping of style.

The reason I didn't use a PICK 4GL in the first place was because of the
upfront price and annual costs.  They were a bit stifling for me.  I also
like to be able to access all the code and not just the pieces written
for user exits or triggers.

Recently, one of my large clients (a software house) has become
interested in purchasing my "tools" to upgrade their system.  The tools
(which work with the windows) consist of a word processor, online help
processor, menu and screen processors, centralized input processor with
text editing using the arrow keys, explicit and fuzzy B-tree processors,
and drivers for various makes and models of dumb terminals and emulators.

I would appreciate some responses as to how to go about pricing these
tools and whether or not there is a larger market that would be
interested in this stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Lee

Pick and Pick-like windows for dumb terminals

[cut]
:
: I would appreciate some responses as to how to go about pricing these
: tools and whether or not there is a larger market that would be
: interested in this stuff.
:
: Lee

There's a larger market for windowing of dumb terminals,
I'm sure.  A lot of users and developers must have looked
at products that are out there now, and decided that this
"nice to have but ultimately trivial" feature is not worth
the price.

There are probably two distinct markets for software which
enhances existing applications by providing a windowing
capability.

One market is users and developers who want something that
is tested and market-proven.

The other market is developers who want all of the windowing
routines and the source code to modify as they please,
without worrying about royalty payments, lisence fees, and
support from the vendor.  This kind of developers would
probably buy the windowing software for a one-time fee.

1. Pick and Pick-like windows for dumb terminals

Hello to all.

[...]

2. Problem with DEFER INTERRUPT

3. Need for refurb'd Pick terminals

4. info needed for Open Access

5. Faxing from Windows NT with Pick/PickLike

6. ontape script

7. A simple PICK terminal (d3/Linux)

8. Newbie: How to access SQL for the first time?

9. Re : Emulacion Terminal Pick

10. Freeware terminal works with PICK/Paradyme

11. PC terminal emulation for Pick

12. Terminal Emulation For Pick d3.