Migrating from HP200LX native database / Importing from free-format data files

Migrating from HP200LX native database / Importing from free-format data files

Post by Dan Kucerovsk » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a 130Kb database file on a palmtop computer called the HP200LX, and
I'm concerned about being able to
get the data out of there if I have to move to a new database program. I
like the HP database. It packs data efficiently, has a good range of data
types, is flexible, and has good (enough) search and sort facilities. It's
not relational but I don't need that, I use it only for a detailed listing
of math books. But one day I have to migrate. Any suggestions for a
mainstream database I might want to migrate to? The features I would want
the most are a compact representation of data, ability to import/export
data in standard formats, and the ability to parse and import free-form
data according to user-specified rules. Maybe using Perl or something
similar? I'd like to be able to quickly write a short program to do things
like: Look for a certain string, import the subsequent text into the author
field, ...., and if we find a string starting http:, put that in the
Address1 field.
Please advise.
Thanks,