Maximum number of tables?

Post by Mike Rozenblyu » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello!

I am faced with a database design dilemma. According to my
most optimized design I would require a huge amount (1 million+)
of tables. My question is: is it acceptable to have a large
number of tables? And how well will the database handle this?

Thank you VERY much in advance for your time.

P.S. Please specify the database you are talking about. Thanks.

Maximum number of tables?

Post by Mike Rozenblyu » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello!

I am faced with a database design dilemma. According to my
most optimized design I would require a huge amount (1 million+)
of tables. My question is: is it acceptable to have a large
number of tables? And how well will the database handle this?

Thank you VERY much in advance for your time.

P.S. Please specify the database you are talking about. Thanks.

Maximum number of tables?

Post by Luis Gomez-Almei » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I do not mean to be rude, but if I were you I would ask a second opinion.
It appears that you need a better designer rather than 1 million tables.

> Hello!

> I am faced with a database design dilemma. According to my
> most optimized design I would require a huge amount (1 million+)
> of tables. My question is: is it acceptable to have a large
> number of tables? And how well will the database handle this?

> Thank you VERY much in advance for your time.

> P.S. Please specify the database you are talking about. Thanks.

* Please ensure that the posting that you intended as thought *
* provoking is not merely stomach churning.                   *

Maximum number of tables?

Post by Joseph T. Ada » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: Hello!
:
: I am faced with a database design dilemma. According to my
: most optimized design I would require a huge amount (1 million+)
: of tables. My question is: is it acceptable to have a large
: number of tables? And how well will the database handle this?
:
: Thank you VERY much in advance for your time.
:
: P.S. Please specify the database you are talking about. Thanks.

Could you please share with us *why* you need millions of tables?
This does not sound right at all.  Millions of records in a table, or
in dozens or (in VERY extreme cases) one or two hundred tables, sounds
realistic, and well within the capabilities of desktop or
client/server database systems.  But I've never seen a system with
more than a couple hundred tables, not because one couldn't be
designed, but because it's difficult to even conceive a situation
where you'd need any more than that.

Can you give us more details?  Perhaps you do have a truly unique
situation; but more likely, what you're trying to do can be done more
efficiently through a smaler number of tables (each of which can have
as many records as the technology permits - up to about a few hundred
million in VFP, or as much as disk space permits in SQL Server).

Joe

1. Maximum number of table joins ....

Michael , thanks for your response and recommendations.

I thought of temp tables also . But isn't temp table will be dropped from
the DB when the session ends ???  So , does that mean the temp table need
to be recreated everytime when large number of tables are joined together
??

It is a query with 9 tables join together . And that query is being
accessed frequently.  Among those tables , two of them are fairly big , 20
MB and 7 MB , rests are small , only a few K .

thanks

Jane

2. ODBC- SQLParamOptions (bulk insert) not inserting

3. Maximum number of table joins again

4. Reports on LEGAL paper ???? help!

5. maximum number of table joins

6. Executable not found newbie question (Oracle/Linux)

7. Maximum number of tables/joins in query

8. How to get 2 SUM in 1 query?

9. maximum number of tables in db?

10. System Error 4414 (Exceeded maximum number of tables in a query)

11. Increasing the maximum number of tables allowed in a query

12. Maximum number of tables?