D3 - how do I use 2 VME & common FSI

Post by Eugene Perr » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:03:06

How do I set up the system so that I have one VME and one FSI on one machine
and another VME on another machine pointing to the other FSI?

Thanks

Eugene

D3 - how do I use 2 VME & common FSI

Post by Mark Brow » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:36:31

It's been a couple of years since I had to do this, but as I recall, setup
first machine as "stand alone peer-to-peer server" and the other as
"peep-to-peer (not mds server)".  On the second machine, it will ask you the
name of the MDS server and you tell it machine A.  You can install a VME or
not as you like.

One and only one of the machine in your "net domain" (not to be confused
with NT domain) can be the MDS server.  This one knows where everything is
and routes you to the right machine when you log in.

Mark Brown

Quote:> How do I set up the system so that I have one VME and one FSI on one
machine
> and another VME on another machine pointing to the other FSI?

> Thanks

> Eugene

D3 - how do I use 2 VME & common FSI

Post by Tony Gravagn » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:48:31

Extending the FSI to multiple machines is OK.  Having shared FSI
accounts is OK.  I wouldn't recommend creating a situation where there
can be multiple systems contending for the same data - I don't know
how they would handle locking.

Tony

>How do I set up the system so that I have one VME and one FSI on one machine
>and another VME on another machine pointing to the other FSI?

>Thanks

>Eugene

D3 - how do I use 2 VME & common FSI

Post by Mark Brow » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:24:57

The local file system handles the locking, same as it does with any D3/NT.
There was a big problem a few years ago (may still be for all I know) where
you couldn't see a lock set by a foreign system because it was set at the
monitor level and not the virtual.  It was locked, but you couldn't see who
had it so you cou;dn't send them a *-gram.

Mark

> Extending the FSI to multiple machines is OK.  Having shared FSI
> accounts is OK.  I wouldn't recommend creating a situation where there
> can be multiple systems contending for the same data - I don't know
> how they would handle locking.

> Tony

> >How do I set up the system so that I have one VME and one FSI on one
machine
> >and another VME on another machine pointing to the other FSI?

> >Thanks

> >Eugene

D3 - how do I use 2 VME & common FSI

Post by Tony Gravagn » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 07:10:42

Thanks Mark.  I've never run that configuration with D3NT and I don't
think RD QA would test it either, so that's good info.

For anyone who cares I've had some related issues with OSFI locking
with D3 Linux and two remote VME's.  As I recall, and this should
sound familiar to many of you, if the client D3 system (the one doing
a READU) somehow disconnects, the server D3 system hosting the data
will maintain the item lock which needs to be manually released.  Not
very elegant.  The server doesn't know that the client has gone away
and the client now has no native way to tell the server "Hey, you know
that record I locked?  I'm done with it!"  RD says use dcd-on.  If
someone can tell me how to tell OSFI to use dcd-on I'll be grateful.

Tony

'Who are you and how did you get in here?'
'I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.'
- Leslie Nielsen as Lieutenant Frank Drebin, "Police Squad"

>The local file system handles the locking, same as it does with any D3/NT.
>There was a big problem a few years ago (may still be for all I know) where
>you couldn't see a lock set by a foreign system because it was set at the
>monitor level and not the virtual.  It was locked, but you couldn't see who
>had it so you cou;dn't send them a *-gram.

>Mark

>> Extending the FSI to multiple machines is OK.  Having shared FSI
>> accounts is OK.  I wouldn't recommend creating a situation where there
>> can be multiple systems contending for the same data - I don't know
>> how they would handle locking.

>> Tony

>> >How do I set up the system so that I have one VME and one FSI on one
>machine
>> >and another VME on another machine pointing to the other FSI?

>> >Thanks

>> >Eugene

1. disk performance using FSI on D3/NT is slower than VME

When running large selects and working tight loops updating records in the
FSI I got a 30-40% decrease in performance as apposed to the exact same
process updating a VME account.

This is the opposite to what I would of expected.

Unfortunately I must use the FSI cause the VME max size is just under 2Gb.

Disk IO went up considerably more and this is the crux of the problem. The
drives are stripped and defragmented regularly so this isn't the issue. I
have multiple indexes on the large files. There are no overflow frames as a
regular resize is performed for maximum optimisation.

If anyone out there can enlighten me as to why I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. NON EMPTY CLause in Excel MDX

3. D3 FSI to VME Restore

4. Can Not Save DTS