Need help with ADO/ODBC connection

Post by Massacr » Thu, 03 May 2001 08:31:31

I am having quite a peculiar problem trying to access Accpac data via a
registered 3rd Party ODBC connector using a web based interface. The page
simply calculates into oblivion, and eventually times out.

I have successfully connected to data using using the VB/ADO and MS Access
2000. The url below is the reference document I used from the ODBC
manufacturer to build web based queries.  (to no avail.)
http://www.accpac.com/support/options/Tech_Notes/T0131_odbc_idc.html

The IIS versions I am having the problem with are IIS4 and IIS5.

To further my aggravation, a call to Accpac Options ended with a  tech
support individual who did not know DAO from ADO, and furthermore suggested
I contact Microsoft.

If anyone could assist me in this matter, I would be greatly appreciative.

1. Access Database, ADO-ODBC, Connection string help needed ...

I have had NO LUCK connecting to an Access Database using ODBC in
ADO.

I have a database on a machine named AZ74Web01.  This machine is running
Windows 2000 Server.

On this machine I have configured an ODBC Data Source using the ODBC
Data Source Administrator.  The ODBC datasource name is "MMSTC_people"
and it is configured  with the Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb).

The database is demonstrably accessible through ODBC using a Perl Script
that does ODBC access (running it on the server as a CGI script) so I know
that
the ODBC setup is OK.

I'm trying to write a VB app to read from this database (from my W2K desktop
which is not the server machine).  I just can't seem to get past a certain
error(s).
I am somewhat mystified by Connection Strings since every piece of
documentation
I've looked at says something different.

If I use the following:

   cst = "Provider=MSDASQL; Server=AZ74Web01; DSN=MMSTC_people;"

   Set objConn = New ADODB.Connection
   objConn.Errors.Clear
   objConn.CursorLocation = adUseClient

   objConn.Open cst

   If objConn.Errors.Count > 0 Then
      For Each errObj In objConn.Errors
         MsgBox (Hex(errObj.Number) & " - " & errObj.Description & vbCrLf &
_
                 errObj.NativeError & " - " & errObj.Source & vbCrLf &
errObj.SQLState)
      Next
   End If

I get the following error in one of the error objects:

    0 - [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed
    0 - Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
    IM006

And I get the following error in 5 error objects:

    0 - [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Invalid connection string
attribute Server
    8 - Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
    01S00

SO - what's wrong with the connection string, and what does the error
information
tell me?

I am totally buffalo'ed here - I can work with databases just fine using
DSN-less
connections, but I simply cannot get an ODBC connection established.  I've
tried
just about every combination of Connection String gobbledygook I can find
and
nothing works for me.  WHAT'S THE SECRET ?!?

If at all possible respond directly through email to

our news feed access is unpredictable at best.

Regards and Thanks in Advance,

Carl

2. need help with project

3. Need help with connection string ADO

4. question about selects and joins

5. Stored procedure error using ADO/ODBC connection - help?

6. Great Job for Win NT GUI Developer - Immediate Need

7. Need help with ADO connection

8. No workee:... NOW WORKEE!!!!

9. ADO Connection Gets Dropped - Help Needed

10. Need help with ADO Connection of a distributable application

11. need help,question of connections of ADO

12. Need Help: Break In ODBC Connection

13. Need help-- ODBC connection fail !