FoxPro 2.5/Windows vs. Access?

Post by Tony Hamilt » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 02:15:02

Can someone please offer up a comparison/evaluation of Microsoft Access vs.
the new FoxPro v2.5 for Windows. Oddly enough, I have them both available to me,
but have only worked a little with FoxPro, already completing evaluations of
it against dBase IV 2.0, but do not have the time to do a good comparison between
it and Access. Any comments would be appreciated.

Tony Hamilton

FoxPro 2.5/Windows vs. Access?

Post by Herbert Fa » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 21:41:26

FoxPro 2.5 for Windows is a programmer's software.  It is best to use it and
program xBase applications.  In term of power, FoxPro is way ahead of the
Access AccessBasic.  Also, FoxPro browse is quite powerful.

It all depends on how you are going to use it.  If you are a xBase programmer,
go for FoxPro.  If you are a causal user, go for Access.

Herbert.

>Can someone please offer up a comparison/evaluation of Microsoft Access vs.
>the new FoxPro v2.5 for Windows. Oddly enough, I have them both available to me,
>but have only worked a little with FoxPro, already completing evaluations of
>it against dBase IV 2.0, but do not have the time to do a good comparison between
>it and Access. Any comments would be appreciated.

>Tony Hamilton

1. Speed - Foxpro for Windows 2.6 vs 2.5

I have developed a rather extensive application in Foxpro for DOS and tried to
port it to Foxpro for Windows 2.5 some time ago. At that time I found that the
Windows version of my application as well as using the Foxpro tools was like
moving through molassas. It was just to slow in painting screens, etc.

Would it be worth my while to purchase Foxpro for Windows 2.6 expecting it to
execute noticably quicker than 2.5.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks
James "Craig" McCarter
Manassas, Virginia USA

2. Optimizing snapshot creation

3. FoxPro 2.5: DOS vs Windows - Query

4. 6.5 vs 7.0 storage efficiency?

5. !! FOXpro Ver 2.5 for Windows Direct Parallel Port Access

6. BTrieve -> ASCII util wanted

7. Accessing Oracle Database with FoxPro 2.5/2.6 for Windows

8. Network error with 5.0

9. FoxPro 2.0 vs FoxPro 2.5 differences?

10. Foxpro 2.5 Dos and Foxpro 2.6 Windows

11. Foxpro for Mac 2.6 to Foxpro 2.5 for Windows

12. Visual Basic 3.0 for Windows and Foxpro 2.5 for Windows database

13. FoxPro 2.5 (DOS/Windows) under Windows NT ?