DSN LEss Connection to ORacle

Post by Rajashekar S » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:39:54

HI, How do I connect to and ORacle database running on a Solaris using a
DSN-less Connection String
The Host string that we use is WEBLOGIC:1521:PSSOL

It connects through SQL Plus and its doesnt connect through ADO.

Please HELP!

REgards,

Rajashekar SC

DSN LEss Connection to ORacle

Post by George Poulos » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:55:31

Provider=MSDASQL;Driver={<Driver>};Server=<Server>
Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=<Server>;User ID=<UID>;
Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=<Server>;OSAuthent=1"

Check out Query Tool (using ADO) from:

http://gpoulose.home.att.net/

GEorge

> HI, How do I connect to and ORacle database running on a Solaris using a
> DSN-less Connection String
> The Host string that we use is WEBLOGIC:1521:PSSOL

> It connects through SQL Plus and its doesnt connect through ADO.

> Please HELP!

> REgards,

> Rajashekar SC

DSN LEss Connection to ORacle

Post by Carl Prothma » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 02:21:57

Quote:> HI, How do I connect to and ORacle database running on a Solaris using a
> DSN-less Connection String
> The Host string that we use is WEBLOGIC:1521:PSSOL

> It connects through SQL Plus and its doesnt connect through ADO.

If it doesn't connection through ADO, then why are you asking in the ADO
newsgroup?!

If you do happen do use ADO, then check out:
http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm

Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

1. DSN-less connection to Oracle DB

I'm developing a VB app which must access a SQL Server and an Oracle DB.

First of all, the environment: NT4 SP5 on workstation and server. Oracle
8.1.6 on server. SQL Server 7.0 SP1 on server. Visual Studio 6 SP4 for
development.

I use the following syntax to set up a connection string to SQL Server:

Const cstrEpicorCompDB = "SERVER=SDI_CCI_NT3;DATABASE=PLT_WF_DB;DRIVER={SQL
SERVER};UID=***;PWD=***;"
Const cstrEpicorControlDB =
"SERVER=SDI_CCI_NT3;DATABASE=PLTM_SDI_DB;DRIVER={SQL
SERVER};UID=**;PWD=***;"

This works fine - no ODBC setup required.

I use the following syntax to set up a connection string to Oracle:

Const cstrOneVisionDSN
="SERVER=SDI_CCI_ONEV;SERVICE_NAME=SR3;DRIVER={Microsoft ODBC for
Oracle};UID=***;PWD=***"

This returns the following error:

     Run-time error'-2147467259 (80004005)':
     [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12560: TNS protocol adapter error

I use the following syntax to set up a connection string to Oracle via ODBC:

Const cstrOneVisionDSN = "DSN=SR3;UID=***;PWD=***"

This works fine - ODBC setup required.

 Can anyone tell me how to make a DSN-less connection work in VB? Microsoft
and Oracle's documentation is ambiguous on the matter. It almost appears
that neither Microsoft or Oracle want it to work.

2. How to make a duplicate database on the same server?

3. Help: Getting a DSN-Less connection to Oracle via DAO

4. Converting from Delphi 1.o to 2.0???

5. DSN-less connection to Oracle DB

6. Correction: VB, Access & Winsock programming

7. DSN-less Connections Versus DSN Connections

8. Index Tuning Wizard?

9. performance different between DSN to DSN-Less Connection

10. DSN vs DSN-less connections

11. Using DSN-less connection to Oracle database on RDO. HELP

12. Trouble with Oracle, RDO, and DSN-less connections.

13. DSN-less ODBC Connections (Oracle)