D3/any jobs in northeast questions

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by doug chan » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:43:11



Hi all,
   does D3 have sequential files??  I know that you can q-pointer to a
file but does D3 have any sequential file types??

another question does anyone know of any companies hiring in the
northeast??? (RI,NH,CONN,etc.....)

I have 5+ years jbase/universe and some D3 and 3+ in
aix,linux,perl,windows,networking

email me for my resume

thanks!

dougc

 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Luke Webbe » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:37:20



Quote:> Hi all,
>    does D3 have sequential files??  I know that you can q-pointer to a
> file but does D3 have any sequential file types??

[snip]

You can access *nix or Winblows sequential files, but it's a bit of a
palaver. Look up %open, %write, %read and %close.

The biggest problem is that you need to Flash compile any programs which use
the above, which can be a real pain if the rest of your app isn't Flashed
and you want to use subroutines.

Luke

 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Frank Winan » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:22:57


"Luke Webber" wrote
Quote:> "doug chanco" wrote
> > Hi all,
> >    does D3 have sequential files??  I know that you can q-pointer to a
> > file but does D3 have any sequential file types??
> [snip]

> You can access *nix or Winblows sequential files, but it's a bit of a
> palaver. Look up %open, %write, %read and %close.

> The biggest problem is that you need to Flash compile any programs which use
> the above, which can be a real pain if the rest of your app isn't Flashed
> and you want to use subroutines.

> Luke

Nah, I do regular compiles, testing on d3/linux.  I _hope_ it isn't a subtle need...
 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Luke Webbe » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:33:17



Quote:> "Luke Webber" wrote
> > "doug chanco" wrote
> > > Hi all,
> > >    does D3 have sequential files??  I know that you can q-pointer to a
> > > file but does D3 have any sequential file types??
> > [snip]

> > You can access *nix or Winblows sequential files, but it's a bit of a
> > palaver. Look up %open, %write, %read and %close.

> > The biggest problem is that you need to Flash compile any programs which
use
> > the above, which can be a real pain if the rest of your app isn't
Flashed
> > and you want to use subroutines.

> > Luke

> Nah, I do regular compiles, testing on d3/linux.  I _hope_ it isn't a

subtle need...

Could be a little confusion here. When I said "Flash", I meant you have to
compile with the (O option. That makes the object incompatible with
non-Flash code. In other words, Flashed subroutines can't be called from
non-Flashed programs and vice-versa. And damn RDTA marketing for blurring
the difference.

Luke

 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Patrick Latime » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:25:55


<snip>
Quote:

>>Nah, I do regular compiles, testing on d3/linux.  I _hope_ it isn't a

> subtle need...

> Could be a little confusion here. When I said "Flash", I meant you have to
> compile with the (O option. That makes the object incompatible with
> non-Flash code. In other words, Flashed subroutines can't be called from
> non-Flashed programs and vice-versa. And damn RDTA marketing for blurring
> the difference.

> Luke

How about EXECUTING flashed programs from non-flashed programs.

Just a thought, Patrick <;=)

 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Luke Webbe » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:30:36



Quote:> How about EXECUTING flashed programs from non-flashed programs.

Yes, that's what we end up having to do, but it's a real PITA at times.

Some might say the best answer is to Flash compile the entire app, but there
are issues. For one thing, Flash-compiled code has a different set of bugs
from normal pseudo-code. For another, most of my D3 customers are running
SB+, which isn't supplied in source form, and which wants to call pretty
much everything as a subroutine.

Luke

 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by David Knigh » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:53:50


<snip>

Quote:> Some might say the best answer is to Flash compile the entire app,
> but there are issues. For one thing, Flash-compiled code has a
> different set of bugs from normal pseudo-code. For another, most of
> my D3 customers are running SB+, which isn't supplied in source form,
> and which wants to call pretty much everything as a subroutine.

> Luke

Luke, I'm told that you do not need source to flash compile. In other words;
it is possible to 'flash' SB+ yourself.
Having said that, I'm in the same boat and chose *not* to flash anything,
coz I'm afraid of the bugs. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
David
 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by David Knigh » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:54:02


<snip>

Quote:> Some might say the best answer is to Flash compile the entire app,
> but there are issues. For one thing, Flash-compiled code has a
> different set of bugs from normal pseudo-code. For another, most of
> my D3 customers are running SB+, which isn't supplied in source form,
> and which wants to call pretty much everything as a subroutine.

> Luke

Luke, I'm told that you do not need source to flash compile. In other words;
it is possible to 'flash' SB+ yourself.
Having said that, I'm in the same boat and chose *not* to flash anything,
coz I'm afraid of the bugs. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
David
 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by David Knigh » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:54:15


<snip>

Quote:> Some might say the best answer is to Flash compile the entire app,
> but there are issues. For one thing, Flash-compiled code has a
> different set of bugs from normal pseudo-code. For another, most of
> my D3 customers are running SB+, which isn't supplied in source form,
> and which wants to call pretty much everything as a subroutine.

> Luke

Luke, I'm told that you do not need source to flash compile. In other words;
it is possible to 'flash' SB+ yourself.
Having said that, I'm in the same boat and chose *not* to flash anything,
coz I'm afraid of the bugs. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
David
 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by David Knigh » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:56:01


<giant snip>
My apologies to the group... Outlook kept saying it had not posted the
message; when obviously it did... 3 times!
David
 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Scott Ballinge » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:42:01


It is not necessary to flash compile, i.e. use the "(o"
option, to use the %read function. I just tested this on d3
7.2 linux & d3 7.1 sco...

A quick and easy way to sequentially read a unix file is to
qselect it, then use readnext:

execute "qselect /usr/home myfile" ;* note no / before file!
if system(11) eq 0 then stop
10 *
readnext rec else stop
...
go 10

This assumes each record in the file is terminated with a
line-feed. Also, if the file is really large, qselect may
take a while to return with the "nnnnnnn items selected"
message.

--
Scott Ballinger
Pareto Corporation
Edmonds WA  USA
425-670-0831




>>Hi all,
>>   does D3 have sequential files??  I know that you can q-pointer to a
>>file but does D3 have any sequential file types??

> [snip]

> You can access *nix or Winblows sequential files, but it's a bit of a
> palaver. Look up %open, %write, %read and %close.

> The biggest problem is that you need to Flash compile any programs which use
> the above, which can be a real pain if the rest of your app isn't Flashed
> and you want to use subroutines.

> Luke

 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by doug chan » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:14:23





> > Hi all,
> >    does D3 have sequential files??  I know that you can q-pointer to a
> > file but does D3 have any sequential file types??
> [snip]

> You can access *nix or Winblows sequential files, but it's a bit of a
> palaver. Look up %open, %write, %read and %close.

so D3 doesn't have sequential files types??  I was contracting with a
company that kept their source code in a hashed file .... which seemed
kinda "wierd" to me .... when I asked why I got the "thats how we do
it" answer and when they move files from D3 to a csv format to export
to windoze they write each line of the "sequentail csv file" to an
attr of a item in once again a hashed file

for example

file EXPORT

the item name would be report
<attr 1> var,var2,var3,var4,var5
<attr 2> var,var2,var3,var4,var5
.
.
.
<attr x> var,var2,var,var4,var5

instead of a true sequential file  (which use writeseq/readseq).....
they use hashed files (read/write) they use this method for both
exporting data and importing data which I find really strange.  I am
used to using sequential file types (19 in universe, I think)

Quote:> The biggest problem is that you need to Flash compile any programs which use
> the above, which can be a real pain if the rest of your app isn't Flashed
> and you want to use subroutines.

I will need to study up on this Flash which I have never heard
of........

Quote:> Luke

dougc
 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Luke Webbe » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:11:26



Quote:> <giant snip>
> My apologies to the group... Outlook kept saying it had not posted the
> message; when obviously it did... 3 times!

It's not specifically Outlook's fault. It's an interaction btw Outlook and
the BigPong news server which is vurrently undergoing one of its regular
screwups. Make sure to complain to the helpdesk.

Luke

 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Luke Webbe » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:24:39



Quote:> It is not necessary to flash compile, i.e. use the "(o"
> option, to use the %read function. I just tested this on d3
> 7.2 linux & d3 7.1 sco...

Did you run it? I know this will compile without the (O option, but it
aborts when you run it on D3NT. I don't know for sure about the Linux and
SCO versions.

Quote:> A quick and easy way to sequentially read a unix file is to
> qselect it, then use readnext:

> execute "qselect /usr/home myfile" ;* note no / before file!
> if system(11) eq 0 then stop
> 10 *
> readnext rec else stop
> ...
> go 10

I'd use a LOOP/REPEAT instead of the GOTO...

Quote:> This assumes each record in the file is terminated with a
> line-feed. Also, if the file is really large, qselect may
> take a while to return with the "nnnnnnn items selected"
> message.

There's another issue. The list goes into the VME, so your VME needs to be
large enough to handle as many simultaneous lists as might be required. That
could be a significant problem in some cases.

Luke

 
 
 

D3/any jobs in northeast questions

Post by Scott Ballinge » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:42:17





>>It is not necessary to flash compile, i.e. use the "(o"
>>option, to use the %read function. I just tested this on d3
>>7.2 linux & d3 7.1 sco...

> Did you run it? I know this will compile without the (O option, but it
> aborts when you run it on D3NT. I don't know for sure about the Linux and
> SCO versions.

Of course I did. I said I did. On two different versions of
D3, on two different operating systems. Perhaps you should
try testing yourself before making blanket statements that
are factually incorrect and misleading.  I view the primary
purpose of this forum as educational. Posting stuff that is
WRONG is doing us all a disservice.

Quote:

>>A quick and easy way to sequentially read a unix file is to
>>qselect it, then use readnext:

>>execute "qselect /usr/home myfile" ;* note no / before file!
>>if system(11) eq 0 then stop
>>10 *
>>readnext rec else stop
>>...
>>go 10

> I'd use a LOOP/REPEAT instead of the GOTO...

Who cares?

--
Scott Ballinger
Pareto Corporation
Edmonds WA  USA
425-670-0831

 
 
 

1. JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS

JOB TITLE: Senior Programmer DataWareHousing

LENGTH: Temp-to-Perm

WORK LOCATION: Rockville or Frederick, Maryland

START DATE:  ASAP

TRAVEL:  WHERE:  % OF TIME:

HOURS: 40+

Near a DBA  has to have experience with either Oracle 7 or 8

Design and architect an Oracle Dbase for the DataWarehouse group.

Heavy SQL tuning but not Dbase tuning.  Needs to know database indexing
versus non indexing; architect data structures; familiar with I/O
constraints; Star Schemas; map Indexing; needs to know indexing versus
non-indexing.

Need to understand the buiness/industry and the DataBase.  Will look at
somebody whos been working with Oracle for 2 to 3 years, but not someone
that that has been coding in Forms.

DataWarehouse members; claims; providers; authorizations, payments, etc.
all maintained in these DataBases.  They are massive in size.

Sun boxes; Unix platform;

Core hours are 9 to 4.  If someone wants to leave at 4, they need to be in
at 8, and inversely, if they are in at 9, theyll leave at 5.

2. Archive files

3. D3/Linux Bad Print Jobs; 0 bytes jobs

4. UNIX - Connection to remote Database via HTTP?

5. JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Converting Strings to SmallMoney Data Type

7. D3 7.0 to D3 7.1 Incompatibility problem with c functions on D3/Linux

8. What is this error message? (The parameter 'rownum' is invalid)

9. Dire&#1089;&#1077;rtly sending E-mail From D3 (D3/NT ior D3/Linux)

10. D3/Proplus 7.2 not printing all of print job over LAN

11. D3 NT PRINT JOBS

12. Looking for Job in Canada - d3/AIX

13. Disappearing print jobs on D3/Win2k