Overhead using Oracle Express, Sales Analyzer tools

Overhead using Oracle Express, Sales Analyzer tools

Post by DBABi » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

It seems that a lot of manpower is required to maintain an Oracle Objects
application unlike Microstrategy or Information Advantage type ROLAP
tools.  The cubes themselves seem to be very rigid to even minor changes,
unlike a relational tool and relational server which is slower but more
forgiving to change.  Its not an adhoc query tool by any means and unless
you know exactly what your users want in terms of information, you can be
in big trouble if you rebuild and reaggregate these cubes retroactively.
If your organization seems to change quite frequently, this tool seems to
have a lot of overhead to retro populate cubes....

Any thoughts.are welcome....

Post by kh.. » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> It seems that a lot of manpower is required to maintain an Oracle Objects
> application unlike Microstrategy or Information Advantage type ROLAP
> tools.  The cubes themselves seem to be very rigid to even minor changes,
> unlike a relational tool and relational server which is slower but more
> forgiving to change.  Its not an adhoc query tool by any means and unless
> you know exactly what your users want in terms of information, you can be
> in big trouble if you rebuild and reaggregate these cubes retroactively.
> If your organization seems to change quite frequently, this tool seems to
> have a lot of overhead to retro populate cubes....

> Any thoughts.are welcome....

Sure there is a lot of overhead, but the speed and flexability of the
express language can overcome just about anything.  I have several
dateserver databases that run unattended and pickup organizational,product,
time, etc.. changes on a nightly basis.

My issues are simple.
  1.  Error message "an abend has occured",  repeating until the log file
volume has run out of disk space or you reach the system ulimit.  Then the
program sits there until you kill it.  (Express 4.8.1 eversion 4825)
  2.  2**31 cell limit for variables (Express 4.8.1)

The good stuff:
  1.  Portable OLAP,  download a slice and forget it.  Need new data?
Download a new slice.

Kevin Hrim
//Standard Disclaimer goes here ->