Newbie Questions

Post by Steven Zahne » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have an app that I have to write, and am hoping to use VPF 5.0,
I am new to FoxPro altogether, and have built a 'hello world' program (for
no better terminology),
and can run it fine from my computer, but when I try to run it from another
computer on the
network through network neighborhood, I have problems finding 'resources',
any ideas?

Any direction for me???
My app has about 12 workstations that need to access a database for some
simple updates, queries
etc...., is there a better way to do this?  Sys admin costs have to be kept
to a minimum.

IS THERE A FAQ list anywhere in *world?

Steve Zahner
President, Zahner Computer Technology.

Newbie Questions

Post by Shar Feldhei » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You probably need a SET PATH TO <cPath> in you application. <cPath> defines the
location of the 'resources', (the FOXUSER.DBF).

hth

--
Shar Feldheim, President
PC Software, INC  - Visual Foxpro Application Development

Newbie Questions

Post by jim sturt » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

steve,

vfp installs on a computer, when it does this it copies a bunch of files
into \windows\system and makes changes to the computers registry (comp1).

if vfp wasnt installed on the 'attached workstation' (comp2) then comp2 isnt
gonna know where to look to find the vfp files.  any more than trying to run
ms word from a workstation that didnt have it installed on it.

vfp (the developers version) doesnt need to be installed on your user
computers but you need at least the 'runtime files'.  when you make a vfp
executable.exe file, you can also use the 'distribution wizard' which will
create a bunch of files that can go on floppies on into a 'netsetup'
directory on the net.  when you then run install, the necessary vfp runtime
versions are then copied to the user workstations where necessary so when
you 'click' or launch a program from that workstation (ie comp2) it will
run.

i have played a little w/ an idea i saw that if the vfp runtime files are
located in the same subdirectory then the machine will find them and use em.
it tested for me once, but i havent played w/ it to see if there is a flaw
in this idea.  it probably wont work it you use any .ocx or other active-x
type objects in your program.

hth
--
Jim

>I have an app that I have to write, and am hoping to use VPF 5.0,
>I am new to FoxPro altogether, and have built a 'hello world' program (for
>no better terminology),
>and can run it fine from my computer, but when I try to run it from another
>computer on the
>network through network neighborhood, I have problems finding 'resources',
>any ideas?

>Any direction for me???
>My app has about 12 workstations that need to access a database for some
>simple updates, queries
>etc...., is there a better way to do this?  Sys admin costs have to be kept
>to a minimum.

>IS THERE A FAQ list anywhere in *world?

>Steve Zahner
>President, Zahner Computer Technology.

Newbie Questions

Post by Jasminder Ra » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Steven,
One solution though addressed already here, I would like to repeat.
What I do is place the "FOXPRO.DBF" AND FOXPRO.FPT" files to the user's home
directory on the network (or you can put it on their C: drive).  In you main
program put this line "SET RESOURCE TO U:\FOXPRO" (assuming U:\ is the
user's directory on the network). Make sure you have a copy of the .dbf and
.fpt files copied from the original FoxPro install directory to the U:\
directory or C: drive.  That way it will find the resource file every time
Foxpro is fired from the work station.
HTH
Jas

>I have an app that I have to write, and am hoping to use VPF 5.0,
>I am new to FoxPro altogether, and have built a 'hello world' program (for
>no better terminology),
>and can run it fine from my computer, but when I try to run it from another
>computer on the
>network through network neighborhood, I have problems finding 'resources',
>any ideas?

>Any direction for me???
>My app has about 12 workstations that need to access a database for some
>simple updates, queries
>etc...., is there a better way to do this?  Sys admin costs have to be kept
>to a minimum.

>IS THERE A FAQ list anywhere in *world?

>Steve Zahner
>President, Zahner Computer Technology.

Newbie Questions

Post by Anders Altber » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

If it's a compiled EXE, from VFP  5, they will need the VFP500.DLL runtime
and the VFP5ENU.DLL installed on their computers in Windows\System. For VFP
6, VFP6R.DLL and VFP6ENU.DLL. Use the Setup Wizard to create distribution
disks.

-Anders

>I have an app that I have to write, and am hoping to use VPF 5.0,
>I am new to FoxPro altogether, and have built a 'hello world' program (for
>no better terminology),
>and can run it fine from my computer, but when I try to run it from another
>computer on the
>network through network neighborhood, I have problems finding 'resources',
>any ideas?

>Any direction for me???
>My app has about 12 workstations that need to access a database for some
>simple updates, queries
>etc...., is there a better way to do this?  Sys admin costs have to be kept
>to a minimum.

>IS THERE A FAQ list anywhere in *world?

>Steve Zahner
>President, Zahner Computer Technology.

Newbie Questions

Post by Chuck Trip » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Oh really!?

Quote:> If it's a compiled EXE, from VFP  5, they will need the VFP500.DLL runtime
> and the VFP5ENU.DLL installed on their computers in Windows\System. For VFP
> 6, VFP6R.DLL and VFP6ENU.DLL. Use the Setup Wizard to create distribution
> disks.

So, if I created an execute file (abc.exe), I will still need to have those two
files in the C:\windows\system\ ? How about if I SET PATH TO or something and
have those two files on the network (via, P:\vfpdll\), that way, I won't have to
run around in this big university to make sure those two files are installed (we
did had similar problem with FPW2.6 "Can not locate Library" thing)?

Chuck

1. Newbie...Newbie Question

Hi....I have just gotten hold of Oracle8 client ver.8.0.5....I have
installed succesfully on my Windows95 computer.....My question is can I
do anything (creating, modyfing, querying databases) by itself or do I
need to connect to a Oracle8 Server computer or another external Oracle
database.....

I think the answer is obviuos, but since I only have in my hands the
client CD, im wandering if i can do something useful with it.....

Thanks.............

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Two tables in EDIT/INSERT mode???

3. Newbie -very newbie- question

4. Problem with Oracle forms

5. Newbie question... ODBC and SQL server 6.5 Question

6. Open Ingres and Windows NT

7. Dumb Newbie Question datatype question

8. ADO String Limitation.

9. Newbie question ( certainly stupid question)

10. DB-LIB question ( newbie question )

11. Newbie Question: Informix-4GL Questions???

12. Newbie question runtime question

13. Newbie question: Exact 3.71 and Crystal 8.0 question