What to use?

Post by Tom Libb » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I will be starting a development project and am in the process of
determining what to develop the app in.

We were thinking of writing it in Visual FoxPro but my partner and I thought
it should be cross platform (Win95/NT, Unix).

We are looking into Powerbuilder and Ingres II.

If anyone has any experience with the two I would appreciate any feedback.

Also how is the cross-platform support of Ingres?

TIA
Tom

What to use?

Post by Michael Le » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I will be starting a development project and am in the process of
> determining what to develop the app in.

> We were thinking of writing it in Visual FoxPro but my partner and I thought
> it should be cross platform (Win95/NT, Unix).

> We are looking into Powerbuilder and Ingres II.

> If anyone has any experience with the two I would appreciate any feedback.

> Also how is the cross-platform support of Ingres?

> TIA
> Tom

Tom,

Consider something even more cross-platform.  Java, JDBC, and Ingres.

When your IS manager says what will it cost per client to deploy,
tell her you already put it on the Intranet and it is deployed to
the entire company.

Develop in portable Java using Symantec Visual Cafe, Borland JBuilder,
Asymetrix SuperCede, IBM VisualAge, Microsoft Visual J++, etc.  These
all deploy to Java, and if you are careful, your entire development team
should be able to use any tool they wish to develop a front end that
will run on any platform.

Ingres runs on many different platforms, and nearly all you would really
care to use anyway.  And on all these platforms, Ingres behaves nearly
identical. OpenIngres 2.0 is especially scalable on Solaris (don't forget
the patches!).

To hook the two together, use an industry standard protocol: JDBC.  There
are several JDBC vendors that work with Ingres.  We happen to be one.

Before you haul off using a proprietary front end, do these two things:

  1) Get a run-time/client price/policy from Powersoft/Sybase
  2) Talk to another shop with a similar application and learn about
     the real costs of installation on the client desktop.  Don't forget
     to ask about the problems with users installing some new package
     that cripples the ODBC driver by replacing a DLL.  Make sure this
     other site has about the same number or more clients.
  3) Ask what kind of client is required to run the behemoth Powerbuilder
     app.

Just my unopinionated $0.02.   ;-}

Caribou Lake Software  http://www.cariboulake.com  Java/RDBMS/Ingres Solutions
St. Paul, Minnesota    (612) 323-9713

Java, it ain't just for breakfast no more ...

1. Export Data using DTS Import using BULK INSERT

SQL Server 2000...

I am exporting data from a table to a comma delimitted text file using
DTS.  Actually, I exported using the export wizard then saved as a DTS
package.  I then went into the DTS designer and added a connection to
another server and a Bulk Insert Task object to import the data from the
text file to this new connection/server upon complettion of the export
from the original server.  Comprende?  Here's my problem....
If my importing machine goes down I'd like the export, which happens
every minute, to ADD to the text file, instead then file is OVERWRITTEN
every minute.  Therefore when my importing machine comes back up I've
lost all but the last minutes worth of data.

Any suggestons/insight would be much appreciated.

Pat Reddy
MAVERICK TECHNOLOGIES

2. Equivalent of sybase 'set rowcount <number>' in informix??

3. connecting to a remote server using vb+sql server using ADO

4. need help on syntactical correctors

5. Problem using LEFT JOIN ON using SQL Server 6.5

6. Timeout SQL Server

7. Anybody using / developing GATEWAYS using ODS ?

8. REPLACE Function??????

9. connecting to a remote server using vb+sql server using ADO

10. Anybody using / devloping gateways using ODS ?

11. How would I get the list of word used in the query using inflection

12. Using DTS packages, using Global Variables

13. Is this possible using T-SQL instead of using cursor