Btrieve 5.10a (DOS) Hang during load problem solved.

Btrieve 5.10a (DOS) Hang during load problem solved.

Post by Bill Hilema » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:14:45

For others out there who may have encountered the same problem that I
reported here about two weeks ago, I finally found out what was causing the
problem.

Btrieve 5.10a for MS-DOS was* during a load, specifically while being
called from our batch file.  It turns out the culprit was the /T parameter,
but the reason was because the file specified (and all files in that and all
sub-directories for that matter) were flagged as read-only.

The end-user had used a CR-RW to copy our system from one machine to a CD-R,
then copied the entire directory structure to the new computer.  This caused
the new copy to retain all the read-only attributes.

Apparently, when Btrieve attempts to access the file specified with the /T
parameter, and it is set as read-only, Btrieve will hang instead of
reporting any problem.

The solution, of course, was to do an ATTRIB -R *.* /S from within that
directory.

--

Bill Hileman, Programmer/Analyst, DASI

Language Comparison: http://www.veryComputer.com/

PROGRAM n. A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's
input into error messages. tr.v. To engage in a pastime similar to banging
one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

1. Hang during load of Btrieve for DOS 5.10a

We have an end-user that has Btrieve hanging during load of our application,
and am puzzled as to the reason.

The file is dated 12-30-93 1:23a, size is 43,548 bytes.

Our startup command line is:

btrieve /u:2 /p:2048 /f:100 /l:40 /n:18 /t:c:\dasirun\btrieve.trn

Typing btrieve alone with no parameters from the DOS prompt does load, but
running the above line causes the DOS prompt window to hang.

Anyone have any clues on this?

--

Bill Hileman, Programmer/Analyst, DASI

Language Comparison: http://www.boneville.net/programming/default.htm

PROGRAM n. A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's
input into error messages. tr.v. To engage in a pastime similar to banging
one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

2. Can we make User Define Type in VFoxPro 5.0

3. Recovering data from btrieve 5.10a for DOS

4. MS SQL Server vs Delphi (Connection Active)

5. Btrieve for DOS 5.10a and Windows 95 FAT32

6. Help with SQL

7. Btrieve 6.10a/c server and NT client using 6.15 Btrieve SDK

8. Problem with refresh method of TQuery

9. Problem Btrieve 5.10a vs NTserver & AVP

10. Btrieve v5.10a under Win95 - big problems!

11. DOS box/Btrieve 6.15/Windows 2000 hangs on tables with records longer than 1600 bytes

12. ERROR LOADING APPLICATON FROM DOS WINDOW WITH BTRIEVE v6.15