Old type database

Post by Erik Hofma » Fri, 25 May 2001 01:49:31

Hi all,

I am working on an old Basic-like system what uses "*.bs2" database-files.
it belongs to an old system, about 15 years old. I try to convert the
databases for the € (Euro) currencie-conversion.

the problem is, I do not know in which language the system is written (I do
not have the sources). And therefore I do not know the database used.
What I do know is that it can't be converted bij MS access or likes.

Who can help me?

______________
Ciao,

Erik Hofman

http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Old type database

Post by chri » Fri, 25 May 2001 02:29:08

Quote:

>the problem is, I do not know in which language the system is written (I
>do not have the sources). And therefore I do not know the database used.
>What I do know is that it can't be converted bij MS access or likes.

>Who can help me?

never heard of that type of database file.
have you tried running a search on google.com ?

if it is a relational data base with fixed a record size you may be able to
write a program that reads the data and convets it to a text file or
something that winblows can read.

HTH
Chris

Old type database

Post by Richard A. Wilso » Fri, 25 May 2001 02:43:49

BS2 - BSArc v2.xx (C) PhysTechSoft
some type of archiving, good luck

Rich

> Hi all,

> I am working on an old Basic-like system what uses "*.bs2" database-files.
> it belongs to an old system, about 15 years old. I try to convert the
> databases for the € (Euro) currencie-conversion.

> the problem is, I do not know in which language the system is written (I do
> not have the sources). And therefore I do not know the database used.
> What I do know is that it can't be converted bij MS access or likes.

> Who can help me?

> ______________
> Ciao,

> Erik Hofman

> http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Old type database

Post by Clark Kellog » Sat, 26 May 2001 00:28:24

Anybody remember the Wang 2200 mini-computer system?

My memory tells me that the .bs2 files you encountered are blobs.

Check this company out, if they still exist.
Niakwa Management Services of America, Inc.
23600 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Mundelein, IL   60060
312-634-8700
(circa 1989)

This company sold a compiler system which ran user Novell, Unix, Dos
etc.  It allowed the user to migrate off the Wang 2200 system and run
the Basic-2C  system under about six other OS's as mentioned above.

In effect,  the Wang 2200 was very similar to running AP/Pro.  The
Niakwa compiler system allowed the user to take the files from the
Wang 2200 to the new OS as a blob and run the new system as a "pseudo
2200 system"

AFAIK there are no tools to extract data from these types of files.

If you need more information, I might be able to dig up the name and
phone number for a consultant who as recently as five years ago was
still supporting some customers.

Regards,

Clark
On Wed, 23 May 2001 18:49:31 +0200, Erik Hofman

>Hi all,

>I am working on an old Basic-like system what uses "*.bs2" database-files.
>it belongs to an old system, about 15 years old. I try to convert the
>databases for the € (Euro) currencie-conversion.

>the problem is, I do not know in which language the system is written (I do
>not have the sources). And therefore I do not know the database used.
>What I do know is that it can't be converted bij MS access or likes.

>Who can help me?

>______________
>Ciao,

>Erik Hofman

>http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Old type database

Post by JBD » Fri, 25 May 2001 23:12:35

Maybe it's a BBXsystem

You can have a look at www.basis.com  their programming language is Business
Basic.

But I wonder how you will adapt an application to the Euro without its
source code

Jean-Baptiste Dumontier
www.winnix.com

Erik Hofman a crit dans le message ...

>Hi all,

>I am working on an old Basic-like system what uses "*.bs2" database-files.
>it belongs to an old system, about 15 years old. I try to convert the
>databases for the € (Euro) currencie-conversion.

>the problem is, I do not know in which language the system is written (I do
>not have the sources). And therefore I do not know the database used.
>What I do know is that it can't be converted bij MS access or likes.

>Who can help me?

>______________
>Ciao,

>Erik Hofman

>http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Old type database

Post by Larry Kessle » Sat, 26 May 2001 16:21:59

1.  Don't top-post.

2.  Wang 2200 systems were much more primitive than anything Pick.
They couldn't handle much in the way of blobs; everything was
character-based.  The 2200s went away in the early 1980s.

On Thu, 24 May 2001 08:28:24 -0700, Clark Kellogg

--
"Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity of the
winner of this year's Presidential election, the identity of the loser

Old type database

Post by Clark Kellog » Sun, 27 May 2001 00:26:02

On Fri, 25 May 2001 07:21:59 GMT, Larry Kessler

>1.  Don't top-post.

>2.  Wang 2200 systems were much more primitive than anything Pick.
>They couldn't handle much in the way of blobs; everything was
>character-based.  The 2200s went away in the early 1980s.

>On Thu, 24 May 2001 08:28:24 -0700, Clark Kellogg

>>Anybody remember the Wang 2200 mini-computer system?

>>My memory tells me that the .bs2 files you encountered are blobs.

>>Check this company out, if they still exist.
>>Niakwa Management Services of America, Inc.
>>23600 N. Milwaukee Ave.
>>Mundelein, IL   60060
>>312-634-8700
>>(circa 1989)

>>This company sold a compiler system which ran user Novell, Unix, Dos
>>etc.  It allowed the user to migrate off the Wang 2200 system and run
>>the Basic-2C  system under about six other OS's as mentioned above.

>>In effect,  the Wang 2200 was very similar to running AP/Pro.  The
>>Niakwa compiler system allowed the user to take the files from the
>>Wang 2200 to the new OS as a blob and run the new system as a "pseudo
>>2200 system"

>>AFAIK there are no tools to extract data from these types of files.

>>If you need more information, I might be able to dig up the name and
>>phone number for a consultant who as recently as five years ago was
>>still supporting some customers.

>>Regards,

>>Clark
>>On Wed, 23 May 2001 18:49:31 +0200, Erik Hofman

>>>Hi all,

>>>I am working on an old Basic-like system what uses "*.bs2" database-files.
>>>it belongs to an old system, about 15 years old. I try to convert the
>>>databases for the € (Euro) currencie-conversion.

>>>the problem is, I do not know in which language the system is written (I do
>>>not have the sources). And therefore I do not know the database used.
>>>What I do know is that it can't be converted bij MS access or likes.

>>>Who can help me?

>>>______________
>>>Ciao,

>>>Erik Hofman

>>>http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

By "blob" I meant that it Niakwa maintained its own Fat within the
blob which resides on the host operating system.  The *.bs2 file is a
"blob".  Is my understanding of "blob" wrong? This blob  was not a
part of the 2200 system, it was a part of the Niakwa system which
allowed the transfer of the 2200 files to another host operating
system.  Now I very well may be wrong about this, but isn't that
similar to the D3 VM and hashed files?

Sorry about the top post.

Regards,

Clark

Old type database

Post by Luke Webbe » Mon, 28 May 2001 21:37:44

Quote:> By "blob" I meant that it Niakwa maintained its own Fat within the
> blob which resides on the host operating system.  The *.bs2 file is a
> "blob".  Is my understanding of "blob" wrong? This blob  was not a
> part of the 2200 system, it was a part of the Niakwa system which
> allowed the transfer of the 2200 files to another host operating
> system.  Now I very well may be wrong about this, but isn't that
> similar to the D3 VM and hashed files?

That works for me, alright. Larry seems to have confused your meaning, but
there is a distinct difference between a blob (amorphous mass, a-la the
Steve McQueen movie) and a BLOB (Binary Large OBject: an abitrarily large
sequence of binary data stored in a database).

Quote:> Sorry about the top post.

Sorry? Sorry my arse! Top post all you like, Clark, as long as you remember
to prune the dead wood. This is a matter of taste, not a rule, and Larry was
<pun> out of line </pun>  when he took you to task for it.

Luke

Old type database

Post by Larry Kessle » Thu, 31 May 2001 18:08:07

>> By "blob" I meant that it Niakwa maintained its own Fat within the
>> blob which resides on the host operating system.  The *.bs2 file is a
>> "blob".  Is my understanding of "blob" wrong? This blob  was not a
>> part of the 2200 system, it was a part of the Niakwa system which
>> allowed the transfer of the 2200 files to another host operating
>> system.  Now I very well may be wrong about this, but isn't that
>> similar to the D3 VM and hashed files?

>That works for me, alright. Larry seems to have confused your meaning, but
>there is a distinct difference between a blob (amorphous mass, a-la the
>Steve McQueen movie) and a BLOB (Binary Large OBject: an abitrarily large
>sequence of binary data stored in a database).

I *did* confuse his meaning, but I understood what he meant by "blob."

Quote:>> Sorry about the top post.

>Sorry? Sorry my arse! Top post all you like, Clark, as long as you remember
>to prune the dead wood. This is a matter of taste, not a rule, and Larry was
><pun> out of line </pun>  when he took you to task for it.

I *was* out of line for chiding him, but top-posting sucks.

--
"Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity of the
winner of this year's Presidential election, the identity of the loser
is perfectly clear. It is the nation's confidence in the judge as an
impartial guardian of the law."
-- John Paul Stevens, Supreme Court Justice Appointed by Gerald Ford

1. Import old Forms, Queries, Reports from old Access database to sql 2000

I hope somebody can help me with a question that seems to have a simple
solution.  I recently migrated my Access database to SQL 2000.  However, i'm
still using Access as the front-end to SQL but i need to bring over all of
the forms, queries, and reports to the newly linked Access to Sql database.
Here's what i did.

After i migrated the database over, i linked the tables that i needed from
sql to access.  now all my queries, forms and reports are all missing.  i
tried going into the old database and exporting it to the new database. when
i do that, it's still calling the old tables for the info, and not the
tables in sql.  how can i bring over all of these queries, forms and reports
to the new database?  i hope i was clear in stating my problem.  if any sql
guru can help me it would be greatly appreciated.  thanks..

please note, i'm a newbie to sql 2000...

2. Oracle Forms 6i shutdown`

3. Online material about db theory ?

4. Transfer one older database backup from older SQL 7 server to a new one

5. newbie image display question

6. Old Old databases and VB5

7. US-PA: Pittsburgh-Oracle Financial Functional Analyst

8. Type, sub-type, and sub-sub-type database design

9. Disk Mirroring type of facility required with old ingres on Sco

10. MSAcess databasse type X PostgreSQL database type

11. RES: [GENERAL] MSAcess databasse type X PostgreSQL database type