ODBC driver installation conflicts (between 16 bit and 32 bit drivers) on NT

ODBC driver installation conflicts (between 16 bit and 32 bit drivers) on NT

Post by Ebbe Jonss » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Hi there,
: we've installed the Oracle ODBC driver two weeks ago (the one which
: came with the Oracle Workgroupserver 90 day trial edition). After we
: deinstalled this we have trouble installing Microsofts new ODBC
: drivers. I guess the trouble lies in the conflict that there are two

NT supports both the 16bit ODBC subsystem, which uses the usual config
files (ODBC.INI and ODBCINST.INI), and the 32bit subsystem, which
uses the registry.

To get rid of 16bit files, examine the .INI files and delete all
.DLLs specified by the various settings for the appropriate drivers,
then remove the driver entries from both ODBC.INI and ODBCINST.INI.

To get rid of 32bit files you'll need to use REGEDT32 and find the
appropriate ODBC entries. Remove the .DLL files specified by
the ODBC entries, then remove the registry entries. The usual
caveats re: mucking with the registry apply.

Oracle's workgroup drivers are 16bit, if I remember correctly, so
they should be installed using the appropriate version of ORAINST. Any
32bit drivers are best installed either using the 32bit version of
ODBCADM or through the control panel ODBC applet - if the driver
diskettes include an ODBC.INF file. If they don't, you'll just have
to trust that the installation program uses the 32bit routines...

--

Fax: +358 0 33 88 22                                    " Why me? "

1. ODBC driver installation conflicts (between 16 bit and 32 bit drivers) on NT

I don't use NT, but in Windows I do NOT use the ODBC manager to deinstall
ODBC drivers (and Oracle PO7 warns you about this) I just delete the .dll I
don't want and replace it with the one I want. Maybe this will work for you.
Mike Schuler - software developer
IBX datasystems limited
Vancouver - CANADA

2. grids - type into?

3. 16-bit/32-bit ODBC drivers - NT Environment

4. Updated Study notes for SQL exams

5. ODBC - Driver for 16-Bit and 32-Bit Windows NT Applikations

6. ProView updated

7. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver

8. Deleting records from Table

9. 16 bit ODBC drivers in the 32 bit environment

10. 32 bit BDE with 16 bit ODBC Drivers

11. 16 Bit app trying to access 32 bit ODBC driver

12. Using 16 bit application with 32 Bit drivers

13. 16-bit ODBC v2.0 from 32-bit NT APP