Here is the procedure we use to restore the VME only. Please make sure you
have a complete backup.
Use at your own risk.
Restoring the VME,or Extending PIBS and PHANTOMS in D3NT
1. Backup PIBS, USER-COLDSTART, USERS and MDS entries that will have to be
NOTE: If you are only restoring the VME, then skip step 2 and go to step 3.
Usually you would just be restoring the VME.
2. Launch D3 Device Manager (Start > Program Files > D3 Utilities > D3
Device Manager) and go into D3NT Settings. Make sure there is a check mark
in the box "Increase total number of PIBS". Then enter the new "Number of
PIBS" and "Number of Phantoms" in each box (increase them by 10 or so).
Then click UPDATE.
3. Make sure everyone is logged OFF the system. Start an AccuTerm session
(or Go to the taskbar and click START > RUN > then type in TELNET, and press
OK, under CONNECT chose local host and then press enter). At the logon
prompt, log in as DM for the user name and then DM for the master
dictionary, and then type in SHUTDOWN. It will ask you if you want to
continue, enter "Y" for "yes". The connection to the host will be lost
after the VME shutdown.
4. Start an MSDOS Command Prompt (Start > RUN > and then type in CMD and
5. At the prompt, type in D: <enter> (Or whatever drive letter you use).
6. At the D:> prompt type in CD Program Files\D3\D3PROGRAMS (Typically it
will be D: but it may be a different drive). Your DOS prompt should look
like the line you types in above D:\Program Files\D3\D3PROGRAMS.
7. Type in D3VME /RESTORE and then press ENTER.
8. Enter Y and then <ENTER> to proceed.
9. Choose option 1 and press ENTER, then press ENTER twice, and after the
files are restored, enter <N> and ENTER and <N> and ENTER.
10. Once completed, log in again to DM, and then DM for the master
11. Type in TERM dumb and the emulation will work better.
12. Type in COPY DOS:. NT_UPGRADE (O and press ENTER.
(You have to type in the period after the colon. And the "o" is the letter
"o" as in OVER not the number zero.)
13. Then type NT_UPGRADE and then press ENTER. When it asks to continue and
load the files answer <C> twice. (When you press "c" the first time it will
load some files, then it will stop and you need to press "c" a second time
but it may not specifically ask you to press the "c". You will not need to
14. Once complete log back in to DM and then log into the master dictionary
15. Restore PIBS, USER-COLDSTART, USERS, and MDS entries.
16. Type in SHUTDOWN and to shutdown the VME once again. Then close the DOS
window by typing EXIT at the command prompt.
17. Restart the VME by clicking on SERVICES on your desktop. Highlight the
D3 Virtual Machine Environment and click START. After the VME has started
CLOSE the services box, wait a minute or two, then go into AccuTerm and log
> Hi, I'm user "hdps" or my normal name: Hans Peeters.
> I am a receptionist in southern Spain and we are using D3/Pick to
> "connect" and then a Hotel program through Accuterm 97.
> I have been a system administrator and consultant for Exact (Holland and
> Spain) but up until now I never heard of, less used, D3. My only
> advantage is that I'm not afraid of computers nor their programs and I
> like that things are running smooth, so:
> After we have had a lot of electricity/power failures lately, we have
> problems starting up the D3VME through the NT-Services.
> As the supplier is impossible to contact, I hope you can help me here.
> Could the message below be because of the DISK0.D3V being corrupt / full
> or whatever. If so, how to correct?
> If we choose O=Logoff, the window closes, and we can start the Accuterm
> Hotel program. But in "closing the day" there, we also receive
> errormessages which I think are related to the D3VME.
> The Quit and Debug I'm unable (yet) to understand what and why they
> are doing.
> Below I have put the screen we are receiving the last 7 days:
> Diagnostics.. successfully completed
> Activating Processes.......
> Checking for Interrupted Transactions...
>  Scheduler started.
>  Spooler jobs have been converted to hold files.
>  The spooler is started.
> No host defined
>  B
> ASIC compilation protection is on.
> Queue Size , Current Id .
> Removing unused object code...
> O=Logoff / Q=Quit / <CR>=Go to de* ?
> Posted via http://www.veryComputer.com/