D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by hdps » Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:16:42

Hi, I'm user "hdps" or my normal name: Hans Peeters.

I am a receptionist in southern Spain and we are using D3/Pick to
"connect" and then a Hotel program through Accuterm 97.
I have been a system administrator and consultant for Exact (Holland and
Spain) but up until now I never heard of, less used, D3. My only
advantage is that I'm not afraid of computers nor their programs and I
like that things are running smooth, so:

After we have had a lot of electricity/power failures lately, we have
problems starting up the D3VME through the NT-Services.
As the supplier is impossible to contact, I hope you can help me here.

Could the message below be because of the DISK0.D3V being corrupt / full
or whatever. If so, how to correct?
If we choose O=Logoff, the window closes, and we can start the Accuterm
Hotel program. But in "closing the day" there, we also receive
errormessages which I think are related to the D3VME.
The Quit and Debug I'm unable (yet) to understand what and why they
are doing.

Below I have put the screen we are receiving the last 7 days:
Diagnostics.. successfully completed

Activating Processes.......
Checking for Interrupted Transactions...
[507] Scheduler started.
[1138] Spooler jobs have been converted to hold files.
[1139] The spooler is started.

No host defined

[1331] B
ASIC compilation protection is on.
Queue Size , Current Id .

Removing unused object code...

O=Logoff / Q=Quit / <CR>=Go to de* ?

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by hdps » Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:22:00

We are using a W2K PRO system (service pack 3), D3 7.2.0 standalone.

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by K. Powic » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 00:03:30

D3 is a database management system (DBMS), that runs on the W2K box.  AccuTerm
is a terminal emulation program that connects to D3, when it is running .

Due to the power problems, D3's VME (virtual machine environment) is corrupted
and should be restored.

The process is not difficult and usually not time consuming, but it would
probably be best to have someone with D3 experience either on-site, or on the
phone.

I would be uncomfortable giving you a restore procedure without being positive
about the details of your system.

K. Powick

> After we have had a lot of electricity/power failures lately, we have
> problems starting up the D3VME through the NT-Services.
> As the supplier is impossible to contact, I hope you can help me here.

> Activating Processes.......
> Checking for Interrupted Transactions...
> [507] Scheduler started.
> [1138] Spooler jobs have been converted to hold files.
> [1139] The spooler is started.

> No host defined

> [1331] B
> ASIC compilation protection is on.
> Queue Size , Current Id .

> Removing unused object code...

> O=Logoff / Q=Quit / <CR>=Go to de* ?

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by Dep. Programacio » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:58:27

Hay que realizar una salvaguardia general. Arrancar D3VME en modo /FILELOAD.

Do a full save and teh a full restore.:

        INICIO
                 > PROGRAMAS
                                        > ACCESORIOS
                                                                > SIMBOLO
DEL SISTEMA (MS/DOS)
(hay que localizar la ruta del D3)

          CD \PROGRAM FILES\D3\D3PROGRAMS

D3VME /FILELOAD

Este proceso es bastante delicado, no dudes en consultarme si tienes alguna
duda al respecto.

Saludos,
Anto Lpez

> Hi, I'm user "hdps" or my normal name: Hans Peeters.

> I am a receptionist in southern Spain and we are using D3/Pick to
> "connect" and then a Hotel program through Accuterm 97.
> I have been a system administrator and consultant for Exact (Holland and
> Spain) but up until now I never heard of, less used, D3. My only
> advantage is that I'm not afraid of computers nor their programs and I
> like that things are running smooth, so:

> After we have had a lot of electricity/power failures lately, we have
> problems starting up the D3VME through the NT-Services.
> As the supplier is impossible to contact, I hope you can help me here.

> Could the message below be because of the DISK0.D3V being corrupt / full
> or whatever. If so, how to correct?
> If we choose O=Logoff, the window closes, and we can start the Accuterm
> Hotel program. But in "closing the day" there, we also receive
> errormessages which I think are related to the D3VME.
> The Quit and Debug I'm unable (yet) to understand what and why they
> are doing.

> Below I have put the screen we are receiving the last 7 days:
> Diagnostics.. successfully completed

> Activating Processes.......
> Checking for Interrupted Transactions...
> [507] Scheduler started.
> [1138] Spooler jobs have been converted to hold files.
> [1139] The spooler is started.

> No host defined

> [1331] B
> ASIC compilation protection is on.
> Queue Size , Current Id .

> Removing unused object code...

> O=Logoff / Q=Quit / <CR>=Go to de* ?

> --

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by hdps » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:58:59

Hi Ken,
I already found several things on the Internet about that and
downloaded the .pdf from D3/Pick themselves about decreasing the VME
from September 11, 1997.
As we normally use the Accuterm I have got no idea about how to enter
the TCL to enter the commands.

Another thing I was afraid about was the "original" Disk0.d3v file. I
could not find this ... until now that is.
I found a disk0.zip file which does seem to contain "an original"
disk0.d3v dated 08.01.2001, size 18.612.224.
This zip file was NOT made by us, but I expect that we can use it.
Our current Disk0.d3v has the size of 525 Mb.

About a D3-expert, our supplier from the program(s) is in Madrid (550 km
from us) and they ask a fortune for just coming here.
As I suspect that this takes maybe 15 minutes it is not worthwhile
the costs.

Hope you can help
Hans Peeters

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by Dep. Programacio » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:22:07

Disk0.d3v  is just the original data files set of the D3 Database, it will
chages its size when we install D3 depending of the size gived on the Device
Manager.

Accuterm works like any other terminal emulator.

when appears the message:

O=Logoff / Q=Quit / <CR>=Go to de* ? (try to answer O or Q here, it
will prompt to you to TCL ":")

if you are on the login screen, enter: dm <enter> dm <enter>
you will be on TCL then:

    SET-DEVICE xx <- choose one pseudo floppy
    FILE-SAVE        <- follow the screen instructions
    SHUTDOWN

INICIO - PROGRAMAS - ACCESORIOS - SIMBOLO DEL SISTEMA
    CD \PROGRAM FILES\D3\D3PROGRAMS
    D3VME /FILELOAD
                choose the same pseudo floppy

GOOD LUCK.

Quote:

> Hi Ken,
> I already found several things on the Internet about that and
> downloaded the .pdf from D3/Pick themselves about decreasing the VME
> from September 11, 1997.
> As we normally use the Accuterm I have got no idea about how to enter
> the TCL to enter the commands.

> Another thing I was afraid about was the "original" Disk0.d3v file. I
> could not find this ... until now that is.
> I found a disk0.zip file which does seem to contain "an original"
> disk0.d3v dated 08.01.2001, size 18.612.224.
> This zip file was NOT made by us, but I expect that we can use it.
> Our current Disk0.d3v has the size of 525 Mb.

> About a D3-expert, our supplier from the program(s) is in Madrid (550 km
> from us) and they ask a fortune for just coming here.
> As I suspect that this takes maybe 15 minutes it is not worthwhile
> the costs.

> Hope you can help
> Hans Peeters

> --

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by K. Powic » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:11:50

Quote:

> if you are on the login screen, enter: dm <enter> dm <enter>
> you will be on TCL then:

>     SET-DEVICE xx <- choose one pseudo floppy
>     FILE-SAVE        <- follow the screen instructions
>     SHUTDOWN

> INICIO - PROGRAMAS - ACCESORIOS - SIMBOLO DEL SISTEMA
>     CD \PROGRAM FILES\D3\D3PROGRAMS
>     D3VME /FILELOAD
>                 choose the same pseudo floppy

> GOOD LUCK.

You'll need a lot of luck with radical advice like that.

First, they may only need to restore the VME, in which case a FILELOAD is not
necessary.

Second, without knowing things about the system like, are any accounts or files
DY/DX's, the FILELOAD solution might just wipe out important data/programs
leaving you with no way to restore.

DO NOT DO A FILELOAD UNLESS YOU ARE POSITIVE YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A GOOD SAVE THAT
CONTAINS ALL YOUR DATA.

K. Powick

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by Steven R. Shourd » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:39:06

Here is the procedure we use to restore the VME only. Please make sure you
have a complete backup.

Use at your own risk.

-----

Restoring the VME,or Extending PIBS and PHANTOMS in D3NT

1. Backup PIBS, USER-COLDSTART, USERS and MDS entries that will have to be
restored.

NOTE: If you are only restoring the VME, then skip step 2 and go to step 3.
Usually you would just be restoring the VME.

2. Launch D3 Device Manager (Start > Program Files > D3 Utilities > D3
Device Manager) and go into D3NT Settings. Make sure there is a check mark
in the box "Increase total number of PIBS". Then enter the new "Number of
PIBS" and "Number of Phantoms" in each box (increase them by 10 or so).
Then click UPDATE.

3. Make sure everyone is logged OFF the system. Start an AccuTerm session
(or Go to the taskbar and click START > RUN > then type in TELNET, and press
OK, under CONNECT chose local host and then press enter).  At the logon
prompt, log in as DM for the user name and then DM for the master
dictionary, and then type in SHUTDOWN.  It will ask you if you want to
continue, enter "Y" for "yes".  The connection to the host will be lost
after the VME shutdown.

4. Start an MSDOS Command Prompt (Start > RUN > and then type in CMD and
press ENTER.).

5. At the prompt, type in D: <enter> (Or whatever drive letter you use).

6. At the D:> prompt type in CD Program Files\D3\D3PROGRAMS  (Typically it
will be D: but it may be a different drive). Your DOS prompt should look
like the line you types in above D:\Program Files\D3\D3PROGRAMS.

7. Type in D3VME   /RESTORE and then press ENTER.

8. Enter Y and then <ENTER> to proceed.

9. Choose option 1 and press ENTER, then press ENTER twice, and after the
files are restored, enter <N> and ENTER and <N> and ENTER.

10. Once completed, log in again to DM, and then DM for the master
dictionary.

11. Type in TERM dumb and the emulation will work better.

12. Type in COPY DOS:. NT_UPGRADE (O  and press ENTER.
TO:(MD
(You have to type in the period after the colon. And the "o" is the letter
"o" as in OVER not the number zero.)

13. Then type NT_UPGRADE and then press ENTER.  When it asks to continue and
load the files answer <C> twice.  (When you press "c" the first time it will
load some files, then it will stop and you need to press "c" a second time
but it may not specifically ask you to press the "c".  You will not need to
press ENTER.)

14. Once complete log back in to DM and then log into the master dictionary
as DM.

15. Restore PIBS, USER-COLDSTART, USERS, and MDS entries.

16. Type in SHUTDOWN and to shutdown the VME once again.  Then close the DOS
window by typing EXIT at the command prompt.

17. Restart the VME by clicking on SERVICES on your desktop.  Highlight the
D3 Virtual Machine Environment and click START.  After the VME has started
CLOSE the services box, wait a minute or two, then go into AccuTerm and log
on.

> Hi, I'm user "hdps" or my normal name: Hans Peeters.

> I am a receptionist in southern Spain and we are using D3/Pick to
> "connect" and then a Hotel program through Accuterm 97.
> I have been a system administrator and consultant for Exact (Holland and
> Spain) but up until now I never heard of, less used, D3. My only
> advantage is that I'm not afraid of computers nor their programs and I
> like that things are running smooth, so:

> After we have had a lot of electricity/power failures lately, we have
> problems starting up the D3VME through the NT-Services.
> As the supplier is impossible to contact, I hope you can help me here.

> Could the message below be because of the DISK0.D3V being corrupt / full
> or whatever. If so, how to correct?
> If we choose O=Logoff, the window closes, and we can start the Accuterm
> Hotel program. But in "closing the day" there, we also receive
> errormessages which I think are related to the D3VME.
> The Quit and Debug I'm unable (yet) to understand what and why they
> are doing.

> Below I have put the screen we are receiving the last 7 days:
> Diagnostics.. successfully completed

> Activating Processes.......
> Checking for Interrupted Transactions...
> [507] Scheduler started.
> [1138] Spooler jobs have been converted to hold files.
> [1139] The spooler is started.

> No host defined

> [1331] B
> ASIC compilation protection is on.
> Queue Size , Current Id .

> Removing unused object code...

> O=Logoff / Q=Quit / <CR>=Go to de* ?

> --

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by hdps » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:33:16

Hola Antonio,
acabo de ver tus respuestas.
Me gustara hacerlo por telefono - si me puedes dar tu No - a lo mejor

Otra cosa - al cerrar con O me cierra la ventanilla, con Intro me sale
algun "de*" en donde las lineas empiecen con !! y con Q y 2x Intro
me sale una linea empezando con <- = ^:
De eso puedo salir con "exit".

For the english:
I just saw your answers.
I'd like to do this per phone, so send me your tel.number.
In choosing O the window closes, with choosing Enter it stays open with
every line beginning with !! and choosing Q and 2-times Enter leaves me
with a window with lines beginning with <- = ^:
This last one I can leave with "exit" command.

Hans Peeters

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by Bill » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:32:50

Hans:

Now, to solve this problem in the future.

1)  Create a directory to archive D3 stuff (e.g. e:\D3Archive)  It is
probably good to keep it on the same drive as the "D3" directory but not
within the "D3" directory.
2)  Once you're happy that D3 is running properly and all configuration
files are ok (which they should be), simply "copy" the
"....\D3\D3Virtual\Disk0.D3V" file to, in the above example file folder
"E:\D3Archive\Disk0.D3V".

Make sure that any time you add users, make changes to the "coldstart"
processes, add synonym account items (in the MDS,, file), or make hard
changes to ports (the DM,PIBS, file) then you should do step #2 above again
(just overwrite the old archive file).

Now, should the VME ever have a problem all you have to do is 'drag-n-drop'
the archived Disk0.D3V from back into the D3Virtual directory then reboot
D3.

Hope this helps.

Bill

> Hola Antonio,
> acabo de ver tus respuestas.
> Me gustara hacerlo por telefono - si me puedes dar tu No - a lo mejor

> Otra cosa - al cerrar con O me cierra la ventanilla, con Intro me sale
> algun "de*" en donde las lineas empiecen con !! y con Q y 2x Intro
> me sale una linea empezando con <- = ^:
> De eso puedo salir con "exit".

> For the english:
> I just saw your answers.
> I'd like to do this per phone, so send me your tel.number.
> In choosing O the window closes, with choosing Enter it stays open with
> every line beginning with !! and choosing Q and 2-times Enter leaves me
> with a window with lines beginning with <- = ^:
> This last one I can leave with "exit" command.

> Hans Peeters

> --

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by hdps » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:36:50

Hi all,
while trying to back-up the VME, it also there gives me the
logoff/quit/debug statement (as I found, all the date from the
Hotel-program is stored in there).
I followed the steps put in the Technical Announcement from Pick to
"decrease the size of the VME, until I received the O/Q/CR statement.
So it appears that I even can't make a proper back-up to restore later
on.

Yet another question - as I checked (with WHO) how I was loggged in, it
showed DM  DM.
Our Hotel-data are, however, in a "user" called AMPHOTEL, the programs
as "user" PROGRAMAS.
If I'm logged in as "user" DM would I, with one back-up (if I get it to
work), reach all forementioned data, or is it necessary to login as
these different users.

Thanks, Hans

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by K. Powic » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:13:30

I'll say it again.  Get a D3 professional on-site or on the phone.  You're
wasting time/money and risking your data by fumbling around.

K. Powick

Quote:

> Hi all,
> while trying to back-up the VME, it also there gives me the
> logoff/quit/debug statement (as I found, all the date from the
> Hotel-program is stored in there).
> I followed the steps put in the Technical Announcement from Pick to
> "decrease the size of the VME, until I received the O/Q/CR statement.
> So it appears that I even can't make a proper back-up to restore later
> on.

> Yet another question - as I checked (with WHO) how I was loggged in, it
> showed DM  DM.
> Our Hotel-data are, however, in a "user" called AMPHOTEL, the programs
> as "user" PROGRAMAS.
> If I'm logged in as "user" DM would I, with one back-up (if I get it to
> work), reach all forementioned data, or is it necessary to login as
> these different users.

> Thanks, Hans

> --

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by hdps » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:50:36

Thanks to Antonio from Sevilla (Seville), Spain, the problem was solved
during a one hour session on the phone.
Antonio was fantastic, knew within a short while, what was the problem,
then made several checks to assure a good outcome of the session, and at
last everything was in perfect working order.
After this hour, when I asked him what I owed him, it was a typical
Andalusian answer. For these of things I don't have a price, so I won't
charge you anything, your welcome, glad I could help.
Again, thanks very much Antonio.

I also want to thank all the people who have given their opinions and
solutions on this forum.

Allthough I wasn't glad with the answer of K. Powick (find professional
help) I did and as you can read above it turned out fine.

As I do want to know more about D3 and programming in there, where could
I find books (English, Spanish, Dutch or German) to enhance my (at the
moment low) knowledge if this DBMS.

Hans

D3/NT VME startup problem

Post by K. Powic » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:55:55

Quote:> Thanks to Antonio from Sevilla (Seville), Spain, the problem was solved
> during a one hour session on the phone.
> Allthough I wasn't glad with the answer of K. Powick (find professional
> help) I did and as you can read above it turned out fine.

I'm very glad that it worked out for you.  One quick hour with a generous
professional and he's undoubtedly saved you money and a lot of potential grief.
:-)

Quote:> As I do want to know more about D3 and programming in there, where could
> I find books (English, Spanish, Dutch or German) to enhance my (at the
> moment low) knowledge if this DBMS.

I would check out the documentation sections of the Raining Data website
(http://www.rainingdata.com).  I think that many of their manuals can be
downloaded in PDF format.

You can also check Malcolm Bull's "MB Training" website.
(http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mbtraining/index.html ) There is a lot of great
material there.

Saludos,

K. Powick

1. D3/NT VME space problems

ok! we had been using D3/NT 7.3.0 (SP1, SP2) for about a month.
we saw 2 big problems, 1) indexes 2) d3tcl.exe, now we got the third
one about VME spaces. (I had read some threads discussing this issues,
but mostly posted in the year 2000 about 7.0 version.)

here are something happened to our 100 user system:
1) we don't have any accounts defined in the VME.
2) VME space got eaten, and regains space too.
3) the decreasing rate of the space is way faster than the increasing.
4) reclaim-ovf command keeps giving me error 3 message.
5) after the VME space hits 0, the system complains and we have to
shutdown and apply the backup of the VME, which costs some
data/spooler lost.

here are the questions:
1) does reclaim-ovf work? can it solve this problem, or it's doing
something else? how to logon as line 0? how to get around the error 3?
what does u53 and u54 do in the dm,bp, reclaim-ovf and dm,bp,
start-reclaim-ovf? where are the documents for these user exits
subroutines?
2) besides the best-guessing reclaim-ovf and shutdown the system
frequently, what else can we do?
3) we already increased the VME space to 2GB, which is larger than
what we heard of the limit earlier (1.5GB). Is there any negative
effect to make it so big? what is the new limit now?
4) Are there any utility in D3 to monitor the VME space usage?
("where" is not enough i think...)
5) what other problems in D3?

thankx for all your comments, and we really want to know how many
companies are using D3/NT 7.3 and share the experience.

2. posting to networked paradox tables

3. D3 ODBC and VME deaths on NT

4. Recursive Trigger

5. D3/NT vme restores

6. OAS: listeners-cartridges

7. Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

8. BCP

9. be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

10. disk performance using FSI on D3/NT is slower than VME

11. d3/nt VME items to dos/window?

12. Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

13. can't telnet to vme in d3 on windows nt workstation