PSQL for Solaris discontinued

Post by Stev » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 00:31:32

I have now heard that Pervasive is phasing out PSQL for Solaris. Does
anyone know any details on this or if this decision was made because
of technical problems? Does Pervasive still plan to support Linux?

PSQL for Solaris discontinued

Post by Gordo » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:46:42

I don't think you should be afraid about the Linux version. The
Solaris version is based on RISC processor technology used in the Sun
SPARC. I guess the demand for this platform was not as high as
Pervasive would have wanted. The Linux versions are based on Intel
technology, same as NetWare and NT versions. For Linux they'd only
have to adapt the engine, whereas for Solaris they'd have to rewrite
the whole thing.

It's economics my dear Watson ;-)

Quote:>I have now heard that Pervasive is phasing out PSQL for Solaris. Does
>anyone know any details on this or if this decision was made because
>of technical problems? Does Pervasive still plan to support Linux?

 Gordon Bos
 Q-RY Solutions
 +31-(0)15-2564035

 http://www.q-ry.nl/

PSQL for Solaris discontinued

Post by John » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:01:28

Gordon is exactly correct. The cost of maintaining it and supporting
it when it's not being quickly adopted does not make good business
sense. Linux on the other hand is growing rapidly and fits the profile
of Pervasive's customers better than organizations that might be using
Solaris. There are no technical issues other than staff and cost
involved in the phase out decision that I know of and Linux will still
be supported for the forseeable future and we hope that it will grow
to become a much more significant portion of our income. On top of
that most Unix variants are somewhere in the process of making it
possible to run Linux binaries, though on SPARC/RISC processors that
would require a bit of a different code base (and thus more cost) than
the Intel Linux.

JR

> I don't think you should be afraid about the Linux version. The
> Solaris version is based on RISC processor technology used in the Sun
> SPARC. I guess the demand for this platform was not as high as
> Pervasive would have wanted. The Linux versions are based on Intel
> technology, same as NetWare and NT versions. For Linux they'd only
> have to adapt the engine, whereas for Solaris they'd have to rewrite
> the whole thing.

> It's economics my dear Watson ;-)

> >I have now heard that Pervasive is phasing out PSQL for Solaris. Does
> >anyone know any details on this or if this decision was made because
> >of technical problems? Does Pervasive still plan to support Linux?

>  Gordon Bos
>  Q-RY Solutions
>  +31-(0)15-2564035

>  http://www.q-ry.nl/

1. Patch to enable window size detection code of psql for Solaris platform

Attached ia a patch to enable window size detection code of psql for Solaris
platform.

====  Patch to src/bin/psql/print.c  ===========================
*** /tmp/T0gZai3g       Mon Jul 30 16:42:01 2001
--- print.c     Thu Jul 26 14:15:44 2001
***************
*** 29,34 ****
--- 29,37 ----
  #define DEFAULT_PAGER "less"
  #endif

+ #ifdef HAVE_TERMIOS_H
+ #include <termios.h>
+ #endif

  /*************************/

TIOCGWINSZ is defined as follows:

    Linux       asm/ioctls.h
    FreeBSD     sys/ttycom.h. This file is included by sys/ioctl.h.
    Solaris     sys/termios.h

This patch tells print.c to know TIOCGWINSZ on Solaris platform. Same code is
founded in src/bin/psal/common.c.

Kind regards,

Kenji Sugita

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

2. Hierarchical Output from MS SQL 7

3. "Discontinued" - Del Trigger

4. Successive queries on same table

5. discontinued support for sql7?

6. DTS wizard importing blob... or not

7. "Discontinued"-trigger?

8. SQL Syntax with Objects

9. SQL Server 7 Support Discontinued

10. Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Discontinued When?

11. pgsql/src/bin psql/Tag: psql/REL7_2_STABLE psq ...

12. psql:relocation error:psql:unfefined symbol: PQgetssl

13. psql: relocation error: psql: undefined symbol: PQgetssl