FoxPro 2.5 Dos and Win95

Post by TrkyHea » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a compatibility problem with Windows 95 and FoxPro
2.5 for dos. We upgraded our IS computers about 6 months ago.  Since
then we have had some very strange things happen to our databases.

FoxPro 2.5 Dos and Win95

Post by Chris Westo » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know of a compatibility problem with Windows 95 and FoxPro
>2.5 for dos. We upgraded our IS computers about 6 months ago.  Since
>then we have had some very strange things happen to our databases.

**WHAT?  WHAT?**
Really, what do you call "strange"?

I run FPD26 under W95, but have had no real problems as yet.....

--
Chris Weston
Computer Programmer

FoxPro 2.5 Dos and Win95

Post by NoSpa » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:52:48, Chris Weston

> >Does anyone know of a compatibility problem with Windows 95 and FoxPro
> >2.5 for dos. We upgraded our IS computers about 6 months ago.  Since
> >then we have had some very strange things happen to our databases.

> **WHAT?  WHAT?**
> Really, what do you call "strange"?

> I run FPD26 under W95, but have had no real problems as yet.....

I have not had any problems either, we migrated a large production app
a few months ago without any W95 problems.

Quote:> --
> Chris Weston
> Computer Programmer
> Middleton Maintenance Group PLC
> Birmingham, England. Tel:(44)121-326-7777

Michael Motek
Senior Programmer/Analyst
University of Victoria

FoxPro 2.5 Dos and Win95

Post by Cavan Fa » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Does anyone know of a compatibility problem with Windows 95 and FoxPro
>2.5 for dos. We upgraded our IS computers about 6 months ago.  Since
>then we have had some very strange things happen to our databases.

We have several Win95 machines running FPD2.6 on a Novell
network.

When we append records into a table, modify some of those
records, and then close the table, sometimes some of the
data appear to be "shifted" to the left by 64 or 128 bytes.

MS Tech support suggested turning off all caching on our
network, changing our network client, and checking the
versions of our drivers.  When these failed (and we really
didn't want to run our network without caching), we put in
a temporary solution for all affected programs--close and
reopen each DBF after each APPEND FROM.  This seems to be
averting the problem, but we'd be very very interested to
hear of any other possible solutions.

Is this what you were after?

                     Mind you, moose bites can be pretty *...

1. FoxPro 2.5 DOS App problem under Win95 Peer-to-Peer Network

I have the sorry task of moving a client from Lantastic to Windows
95 networking.

The client's core application is a FoxPro 2.5 based
accounting/inventory/sales entry system that has been running under
a Lantastic peer-to-peer network (the application file server is also
a user's workstation).

The client is moving to a Windows 95 accounting application to replace
the curretn FoxPro app, but will need to run the FoxPro app for a
period of 2 to 6 months on a Windows 95 peer-to-peer network.

I have installed a new 350MHz PII 32M RAM Windows 95 ORS2C machine
as the new server/workstation and converted all other Lantastic/DOS
workstations to either Windows 95 or Windows 3.11 (Old 486 monochrom
systems running in DOS only mode with "net start full" in AUTOEXEC.BAT
to start the Windows networking and mount the shared application
directory as drive F:)

Here's the problem: The application developer insists that they have
Windows 95 peer-to-peer running in his office with a combined
server/workstation machine and the app runs without problems.
However, at the client's office, the application runs fine until
we try to run the application from the server/workstation machine.

The application will start and run ok for anywhere from 5 minutes to
3 hours but then it will lockup and "control-Alt-Delete" brings up the
task window that reports "application not responding."

The application directory is sharred to the network and mounted as
drive F: on the workstations. The application lives in c:\arplus
on the server/workstation and starts up in c:\arplus.  The FoxPro 2.5
runtime and application programs and data files are all in c:\arplus.

Are there any Microsoft Patches for Windows 95 that I need to apply to
the server/workstation?

Can anyone recommed configuration file settings for the
server/workstation to avoid conflicts between running the application
localy on the server/workstation and users running in the mapped network
drive?

The client ran the application without trouble for an entire 8-hour day
by avoiding running the applicaton from the server/workstation console.
But since the new server/workstation is the fastest machine in the
office, they don't want to abandon it as a workstation.

TIA

                                    Steve Fabac
                                     S.M. Fabac & Associates
                                      816/765-1670

2. differences informix-Connect and Informix-ODBC

3. Powerbuilder info needed.

4. FoxPro DOS 2.5 in Win DOS Shell

5. SaberC++ and OODBs

6. Foxpro 2.5 Dos and Foxpro 2.6 Windows

7. Sybase SQL Anywhere connection. What is the best way arround?

8. set century on problem with FoxPro DOS 2.5 and FoxPro Win 2.6a

9. Foxpro 2.5 and WIN95

10. Foxpro 2.5 /Win95

11. How can I use Foxpro for DOS 2.5 to connect to MS SQL server 6.5

12. FoxPro 2.5 for DOS and NT