Need help choosing text database app

Post by Kate Zy » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi folks,

I've had a fair amount of experience with numerically oriented databases,
but now I have an application that is entirely text based, and I'm stumped
as to which package to use.  (UNIX platform)

I'd like to create a database of items and their paragraph-sized
descriptions.  The most important feature of the database will be search
capability.  I'd like users to be able to enter queries in the most
"natural" language possible (and I'm not sure exactly how natural that can
be).  I'd like to be able to search by category or by key word, and a
"find similar" feature would be wonderful, as would relevance ranking and
a thesaurus feature that would return related entries as well as exact
matches.

I realize that this is an awful lot to ask for, but am hoping to get as
close as possible.  The type of search engines used in many web search
services seem to function much like I'd like our database to work.  In
fact, our interface will be on the web, so compatibility there is
important, too.

Does anyone know anything about BRS/Search or have a better suggestion?

Thanks for your help :)

Kate Zyla

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Hi folks,

>I've had a fair amount of experience with numerically oriented databases,
>but now I have an application that is entirely text based, and I'm stumped
>as to which package to use.  (UNIX platform)

>I'd like to create a database of items and their paragraph-sized
>descriptions.  The most important feature of the database will be search
>capability.  I'd like users to be able to enter queries in the most
>"natural" language possible (and I'm not sure exactly how natural that can
>be).  I'd like to be able to search by category or by key word, and a
>"find similar" feature would be wonderful, as would relevance ranking and
>a thesaurus feature that would return related entries as well as exact
>matches.

>I realize that this is an awful lot to ask for, but am hoping to get as
>close as possible.  The type of search engines used in many web search
>services seem to function much like I'd like our database to work.  In
>fact, our interface will be on the web, so compatibility there is
>important, too.

>Does anyone know anything about BRS/Search or have a better suggestion?

Web-oriented text database systems include:
- Glimpse - http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu/
- GAIS - http://gais.cs.ccu.edu.tw/

This is certainly only a partial listing; various of the "web search
engine vendors" would have interest in offering products as well.
I would note that Glimpse and a related package called Harvest is
in *wide* use across the Internet.

Glimpse may not be suited to "very large text databases," although
what "very large" is this year, and what it will be next year may
be quite different things; as hardware and software improves, what
was unmanageable last year may be simple next year.

To that point, I would note that the text of the King James Bible is about
5.5MB long.  A few years ago, that would be considered an *enormous*
document.  You don't need to have 20 pages of text to have a file that
big these days with "industry leading" word processor software.

Just for laughs, I ran the text through TeX to see what would happen.
2000 odd pages, processed and displayable in about 3 minutes.  Printing
would take rather a while, and would be largely pointless.  A rather
bigger document than Windows-based wordprocessors can handle, but
nonetheless easy to process.  If I ran a few searches using "agrep,"
it would go *very* quickly, because the whole file would ultimately be
cached in memory.

But I digress.
--

Web: http://www.conline.com/~cbbrowne  SAP Basis Consultant, UNIX Guy
Windows NT - How to make a 100 MIPS Linux workstation perform like an 8 MHz 286

Post by Deirdre Jone » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi folks,

> I've had a fair amount of experience with numerically oriented databases,
> but now I have an application that is entirely text based, and I'm stumped
> as to which package to use.  (UNIX platform)

> I'd like to create a database of items and their paragraph-sized
> descriptions.  The most important feature of the database will be search
> capability.  I'd like users to be able to enter queries in the most
> "natural" language possible (and I'm not sure exactly how natural that can
> be).  I'd like to be able to search by category or by key word, and a
> "find similar" feature would be wonderful, as would relevance ranking and
> a thesaurus feature that would return related entries as well as exact
> matches.

> I realize that this is an awful lot to ask for, but am hoping to get as
> close as possible.  The type of search engines used in many web search
> services seem to function much like I'd like our database to work.  In
> fact, our interface will be on the web, so compatibility there is
> important, too.

> Does anyone know anything about BRS/Search or have a better suggestion?

> Thanks for your help :)

> Kate Zyla

Thunderstone's Texis RDBMS has all the features you allude to above.
The full Texis manual is online as is all the technical specifications.

http://www.thunderstone.com

Hope this helps.

Deirdre Jones
Thunderstone Software
216-631-8544

1. Need HELP choosing Database

Help!! I'm researching relational database systems to convert to.  We presently are on a mainframe using key file structures.  I
want to move off of the mainframe and onto a PC based network (looking at the IBM RSC/6000 as a server) but cannot decide
on what database to convert to.

We presently write all our own aplications in COBOL and looking to use Visual Basic and/or Visual C++ for the applications on
the new platform.

I appreciate any insight on the database to use, on the IBM RSC/6000 system I am looking to use, and/or the programming
compilers I plan on switching to.

OH....some information on our company and our apllications.  We are a national manufacturing  company with four sites.  Main
applications are Direct Order Entry, Inventory Control/Tracking, Accounting (AR, AP, GL), and Billing.  There are approximately
50-75 users with 3 remote sites on lease lines connected to system.  I am on a very tight budget and need to keep cost down.

Thanks in advance......JMV

2. Oracle DBA / Webserver opportunties

3. Query with multiples operators BETWEEN

4. Need help choosing database!

5. Data Modeling Tool

6. Need HELP choosing Database

7. I need help to choose database software and platfo

8. Need help to choose database

9. need help choosing database