D3/Delphi

D3/Delphi

Post by Dea » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:49:04



I am looking to evaluate using Delphi as a front end to D3 and I could
do with some documentation to point me in the right direction.  Some
old postings mention samples on the Pick web site and in particular a
link to www.picksys.com/articles/d3wnide.html, does anyone know if
this page still exists on the raining data site or of any other
documentation that may help me.  I am interested in using the D3 Class
Library rather just connecting using ODBC.

Thanks.

 
 
 

D3/Delphi

Post by John Ben » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:56:08


Hi there.

I did some work in this direction about two hundred years ago. (Give or
take...) It is *doable* but hard going due to the lack of support and
documentation.

You need to use the latest stable D3/ODBC drivers in ODBC Direct mode.

Whilst the MS Visual Basic documentation can be used as a reference, note
that you may not use implied arguments with Delphi and because of the strong
variable typing in Delphi you must pay careful attention to the argument
types as defined in the D3 class libraries.

Given the advantages of Delphi over VB I am puzzled why Pick Systems /
Raining Data, or anyone else for that matter did not give greater
consideration to the combination of Delphi GUI into D3 database?

I will try to dig out my working examples.

John Bend.


Quote:> I am looking to evaluate using Delphi as a front end to D3 and I could
> do with some documentation to point me in the right direction.  Some
> old postings mention samples on the Pick web site and in particular a
> link to www.picksys.com/articles/d3wnide.html, does anyone know if
> this page still exists on the raining data site or of any other
> documentation that may help me.  I am interested in using the D3 Class
> Library rather just connecting using ODBC.

> Thanks.


 
 
 

D3/Delphi

Post by Ross Ferr » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:46:30


I must agree with this - as I'm sure people like Luke Webber would as
well. Like you I was dismayed that 12 months after we started
"playing" with D3 & Delphi, Pick Systems (as it was then) came out and
threw their weight behind VB ==> still, shortly after this Borland
started to go though various "problems", so maybe PickSys had some
inkling of this.

I would suggest you consider your motives for going down the Delphi
path very seriously. Don't get me wrong, great product and we are
about to start playing with the latest Aurora Beta (Delphi 7) as we
use Delphi for the middleware in our Visage product (we DO NOT use
ODBC because of the early problems we had), but you are ALWAYS going
to have to tinker to make things go properly ! (then again, tha's the
norm for Delphi anyway, isn't it !)

Anyway, it IS (was) fairly easy to get things happening via ODBC (we
got part way through doing our own VCL components when we were looking

Good Luck !


> Hi there.

> I did some work in this direction about two hundred years ago. (Give or
> take...) It is *doable* but hard going due to the lack of support and
> documentation.

> You need to use the latest stable D3/ODBC drivers in ODBC Direct mode.

> Whilst the MS Visual Basic documentation can be used as a reference, note
> that you may not use implied arguments with Delphi and because of the strong
> variable typing in Delphi you must pay careful attention to the argument
> types as defined in the D3 class libraries.

> Given the advantages of Delphi over VB I am puzzled why Pick Systems /
> Raining Data, or anyone else for that matter did not give greater
> consideration to the combination of Delphi GUI into D3 database?

> I will try to dig out my working examples.

> John Bend.



> > I am looking to evaluate using Delphi as a front end to D3 and I could
> > do with some documentation to point me in the right direction.  Some
> > old postings mention samples on the Pick web site and in particular a
> > link to www.picksys.com/articles/d3wnide.html, does anyone know if
> > this page still exists on the raining data site or of any other
> > documentation that may help me.  I am interested in using the D3 Class
> > Library rather just connecting using ODBC.

> > Thanks.

 
 
 

D3/Delphi

Post by Luke Webbe » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:00:33



Quote:> I must agree with this - as I'm sure people like Luke Webber would as
> well. Like you I was dismayed that 12 months after we started
> "playing" with D3 & Delphi, Pick Systems (as it was then) came out and
> threw their weight behind VB ==> still, shortly after this Borland
> started to go though various "problems", so maybe PickSys had some
> inkling of this.

I don't think so. I think they just took the cheapest and simplest option
available because the management wouldn't commit the resources to do it
right (ie, as an ActiveX control). And Borland have been going through
various financial and management problems for the last ten years at least,
so there's nothing special there.

> I would suggest you consider your motives for going down the Delphi
> path very seriously. Don't get me wrong, great product and we are
> about to start playing with the latest Aurora Beta (Delphi 7) as we
> use Delphi for the middleware in our Visage product (we DO NOT use
> ODBC because of the early problems we had), but you are ALWAYS going
> to have to tinker to make things go properly ! (then again, tha's the
> norm for Delphi anyway, isn't it !)

> Anyway, it IS (was) fairly easy to get things happening via ODBC (we
> got part way through doing our own VCL components when we were looking
> at using a Delphi front end back in '97/98), but any samples you find


Better yet, stick with Delphi and dump D3 for jBASE. Or jump to Java and
jBASE. ;^)

Luke

 
 
 

D3/Delphi

Post by K. Powic » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:28:25



Quote:> Better yet, stick with Delphi and dump D3 for jBASE. Or jump to Java and
> jBASE. ;^)

Very much agreed.  IMO, Delphi and/or Java with jBASE is the only way to go.

K. Powick

 
 
 

D3/Delphi

Post by Bill Cook » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 04:40:56





> > I must agree with this - as I'm sure people like Luke Webber would as
> > well. Like you I was dismayed that 12 months after we started
> > "playing" with D3 & Delphi, Pick Systems (as it was then) came out and
> > threw their weight behind VB ==> still, shortly after this Borland
> > started to go though various "problems", so maybe PickSys had some
> > inkling of this.

> I don't think so. I think they just took the cheapest and simplest option
> available because the management wouldn't commit the resources to do it
> right (ie, as an ActiveX control). And Borland have been going through
> various financial and management problems for the last ten years at least,
> so there's nothing special there.

Back up a year or two.  Borland is doing very well, better than nearly
all other software companies.  For a brief history see
http://www.fastcompany.com/online/60/borland.html

And Delphi supports your dreams.  My 'intelligent client' provides a
windows client (< 1mb download) for all my code written in the last 25
years;  using Kylix - delphi for linux - it could run on linux
workstations.  Simple, fast, and plays well with other technologies.

For a tribute to strong technology check IntraWeb, a set of classes for
building web applications with Delphi / Kylix / BCB nearly as if you
were building client apps.  The technology is awesome and the team
building and supporting it is brilliant.
http://www.atozedsoftware.com/intraweb.html

by the way, delphi for dotNet is committed, for those in the litter
seeking another teat.

--  Bill Cooke

 
 
 

1. Is it D3, Delphi or my code???

Using D3 C/S to access Oracle WGS running on the same NT workstation
machine (v4, service pack 2). Oracle version 7.3.3.

Some times if the record is in edit mode (and state is modified) and
a dialog message is displayed prior to the "post" (not in the "post"
event handler, but in the onClick of the "save" button) asking the
user to confirm a particular value (by clicking on the Yes or No button),
and if post is issued here, an exception gets generated which results
in the message like "can't enter edit mode, THE RECORD WAS CHANGED
BY ANOTHER USER". Issuing a "post" again (i.e. click on the save button
again) saves it without a problem. That is bizzare... First of all,
the application is only single user at this time, no back ground
threads, etc. Second, the error is not consistent, it just pops up
when ever it feels like. And third, in this code segment, the data is
*not* touched in *any* way.

Have you experienced it? Any clues? Could it be some kind of
timing/speed issues? Am I stuck with flushing DB buffers after every
post? Please Help!!!

BTW, the machine is a P166 with 32MB RAM.

Regards,

2. Schema info using ADO

3. D3 Delphi ?

4. Can't exceed 15 clients

5. D3/Delphi

6. Form and Report generators

7. D3/DELPHI

8. 2.6 - what evidence it has been installed?

9. D3/Delphi

10. D3 7.0 to D3 7.1 Incompatibility problem with c functions on D3/Linux

11. Dire&#1089;&#1077;rtly sending E-mail From D3 (D3/NT ior D3/Linux)

12. Delphi...Delphi....Delphi - New Delphi Site

13. Pick D3 using ODBC and Delphi