Running external program in VFP

Post by Glen Mettl » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am using VFP5 and VFP6 on Windows 95,98 and NT.

I need to run the command line version of PKZIP (PKZIP25) to zip and unzip
specific canned files from within a FoxPro program.

RUN /N displays the DOS window.  This needs to be transparent to the user.
How do I do this without showing the DOS window?

Thanks,

Glen Mettler

Running external program in VFP

Post by Alexandre Pechtchans » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[ Courtesy cc'ed through e-mail to the quoted author ]

Quote:>I am using VFP5 and VFP6 on Windows 95,98 and NT.

>I need to run the command line version of PKZIP (PKZIP25) to zip and unzip
>specific canned files from within a FoxPro program.

>RUN /N displays the DOS window.  This needs to be transparent to the user.
>How do I do this without showing the DOS window?

One solution: use ZIP library (can't find pointer off hand, but it was mentioned
in this group quite a few times).
Another solution: create shortcuts to run PKZIP/PKUNZIP; check "Run minimized"
and "Close on exit" - this is as close to transparency as one can get using DOS
programs.

[ When replying, remove *'s from address ]
Alexandre Pechtchanski, Systems Manager, RUH, NY

Running external program in VFP

Post by Timothy W. Stam » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Can't you use one of the WinZip products?  It seems to me, that would be
more friendly to the type of stuff you are doing.

I realize there is probably some cost involved.

Running external program in VFP

Post by Anders Altber » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Glen
What is "delimited with" in your terms?
1. "John",25,"New York"
2. *John*,25,*New York*
3. "John"*25*"New York"
In Fox terminology:
  "John",25,"New York"
APPEND FROM text DELIMITED
   The " " delimiters for text fields and the , as field separator ar both
default so
    nothing has to be specified.

*John*,25,*New York*
APPEND FROM text DELIMITED WITH "*" [WITH CHARACTER "," ]
The , as field separator is the default so the WITH CHAR clause in not
needed.

"John"*25*"New York"
APPEND FROM text DELIMITED WITH '"' WITH CHARACTER "*"
APPEND FROM text DELIMITED WITH CHAR  "*"
As " is the default text field delimiter WITH '"' is not needed.

John*25*New York
APPEND FROM text DELIMITED WITH CHAR  "*"
This will work too. The "" delimiters are not required, except for practical
reasons where the text field itself contains a field separator
"Brown, Bill",34,New York

The keyword TYPE is not required.
-Anders

--
Shar Feldheim, President
PC Software, INC  - Visual Foxpro Application Development