PICK Conversion for a non-Pick programmer

PICK Conversion for a non-Pick programmer

Post by Tom Hummel, International Superst » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00



Hello all!

I have recently installed a database application using MS SQL for a
client who now wants their old data converted for use in the new
system. I have copies of all of the old data files, which seem to have
extensions such as, .tir, .tpr, .tdr, .txr, .tr0, .tr1, .tr2, etc. The
old system is DOS based and is about 14 years old.

From a post on Comp.Databases, someone suggested that the files might
be R/83 PICK (or PRIME?) files. Is this true? If so, does anyone know
of a way that I can access the data (preferably through ODBC, but I'd
settle for just about anything.) I have *no* PICK experience. Is PICK
a programming language, a database format or an operating system all
it's own? From the limited exposure reading the web pages that I've
found it's not very clear.

        Thanks for any help!
                -Tom.

 
 
 

PICK Conversion for a non-Pick programmer

Post by Peter Gonzale » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00


Thom:

Pick or MultiValue is both an operating system and a database. The
database could run on Unix, Dos, Windows, and it self.

The file names have to limitations. You could have CUSTOMER, customer,
CUSTOMER.THIS.IS.A.TEST.

What you have does not sound like a Pick database.  A pick database will
always have a login prompt that identifies what it is.

Sorry:

Peter Gonzalez

MultiValue DataBase Solutions


> Hello all!

> I have recently installed a database application using MS SQL for a
> client who now wants their old data converted for use in the new
> system. I have copies of all of the old data files, which seem to have
> extensions such as, .tir, .tpr, .tdr, .txr, .tr0, .tr1, .tr2, etc. The
> old system is DOS based and is about 14 years old.

> From a post on Comp.Databases, someone suggested that the files might
> be R/83 PICK (or PRIME?) files. Is this true? If so, does anyone know
> of a way that I can access the data (preferably through ODBC, but I'd
> settle for just about anything.) I have *no* PICK experience. Is PICK
> a programming language, a database format or an operating system all
> it's own? From the limited exposure reading the web pages that I've
> found it's not very clear.

>         Thanks for any help!
>                 -Tom.



 
 
 

PICK Conversion for a non-Pick programmer

Post by ttmh » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00



> (snip)
>  A pick database will
> always have a login prompt that identifies what it is.
> (snip)

===========
not always dear boy! we amend our logon and logoff prompts so that our
users have no idea what type of computer system they're on. it wouldnt
do to have the competition getting to hear about the wonders of pick :)

tim
========

 
 
 

PICK Conversion for a non-Pick programmer

Post by Gulraj Rijhwa » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00




Quote:> Pick or MultiValue is both an operating system and a database. The
> database could run on Unix, Dos, Windows, and it self.
> The file names have to limitations. You could have CUSTOMER, customer,
> CUSTOMER.THIS.IS.A.TEST.
> What you have does not sound like a Pick database.  A pick database will
> always have a login prompt that identifies what it is.

The guy said he had files from a system.  Rather sounds like there's no
working system to be seen.

And besides, even if there were it doesn't follow that it would announce
its identity.

You can after all edit the logon banner in SYSTEM "LOGON", and all the
other messages in ERRMSG (330..335, if memory serves) to change the
message of the day and logoff.  You can make it pretty much as anonymous
as you like, which rather makes sense.  If you're a VAR or a consultant,
you're going to want to sell it as YOUR system as much as you can.
--
Gulraj Rijhwani             \\  Courtfields Limited, Chessington, Surrey, UK

http://www.courtfld.demon.co.uk \\  Mobile: 0976 431936
----- Specialist in Pick, Unidata, datacomms and general connectivity -----
All material copyright Gulraj Rijhwani and Courtfields.  ALL RIGHTS RETAINED.

 
 
 

PICK Conversion for a non-Pick programmer

Post by Gulraj Rijhwa » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00




Quote:> I have recently installed a database application using MS SQL for a
> client who now wants their old data converted for use in the new
> system. I have copies of all of the old data files, which seem to have
> extensions such as, .tir, .tpr, .tdr, .txr, .tr0, .tr1, .tr2, etc. The
> old system is DOS based and is about 14 years old.

The extensions suggest (to me) some form of indexed seqential database.  
Very unlikely to be Pick.  Unless it's been exported to DOS for posterity.

Have you actually looked at the contents of the files?

Quote:> From a post on Comp.Databases, someone suggested that the files might
> be R/83 PICK (or PRIME?) files. Is this true? If so, does anyone know
> of a way that I can access the data (preferably through ODBC, but I'd
> settle for just about anything.) I have *no* PICK experience. Is PICK
> a programming language, a database format or an operating system all
> it's own? From the limited exposure reading the web pages that I've
> found it's not very clear.

Pick these days is a programming and reporting environment.  It CAN be
a standalone operating system (and R83 certainly was), but these days
it's increasingly being used in the capacity of an overlay on unix
or NT.
--
Gulraj Rijhwani             \\  Courtfields Limited, Chessington, Surrey, UK

http://www.courtfld.demon.co.uk \\  Mobile: 0976 431936
----- Specialist in Pick, Unidata, datacomms and general connectivity -----
All material copyright Gulraj Rijhwani and Courtfields.  ALL RIGHTS RETAINED.
 
 
 

1. Pick Consultants Needed for Cobol to Pick Conversion Project

Does anyone know where a good place is to post the following message?  I
would certainly welcome any suggestions.

We need two Pick programmers to perform a 6 month project as soon as
possible. One of the positions will be in Los Angeles and the other will
be in
Denver. Both projects involve converting Cobol data to Pick.  Salary
will be
commensurate with experience. We ask interested applicants to send their

resumes to my attention as an attached Word document at

*********************************************************
Jerry Saltzman
Savoir Technologies
Phone: 303.670.9800 ext. 1050
Web site:  http://www.savoirtech.com

**********************************************************

2. Looking for a certain control

3. Non-Pick Conversion Costs

4. SQL Server 2000 Comiits over T1

5. Pick/uniVerse/Unidata and Pick-Like Programmer/Analysts needed (Recruiter)

6. A New Query right after an Update does not reflect changes from update. Using Access and Visual C++

7. Sr. Pick Programmer /Universe/Pick Basic - Seattle, WA

8. No tkprof with 9i anymore (on Windows)

9. Pick and Pick-like windows for dumb terminals

10. PICK to PICK transfers

11. New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.