CLOSING ONE DATABASE

Post by Janne Kiiski » Wed, 25 May 1994 18:07:57

        Hi again! (Yep, I'm here constantly!)

        Is there any way to close *ONE* database?! I have several
        databases open, and I'd need to close one of them, and leave
        the others open. CLOSE DATABASE seems to do exactly the
        same as CLOSE DATABASES - close ALL databases... ;(

CLOSING ONE DATABASE

Post by bdowl.. » Wed, 25 May 1994 21:42:35

>    Hi again! (Yep, I'm here constantly!)

>    Is there any way to close *ONE* database?! I have several
>    databases open, and I'd need to close one of them, and leave
>    the others open. CLOSE DATABASE seems to do exactly the
>    same as CLOSE DATABASES - close ALL databases... ;(

>    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

>    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

CLOSING ONE DATABASE

Post by Stan Varlam » Wed, 25 May 1994 22:01:25

:       Hi again! (Yep, I'm here constantly!)

:       Is there any way to close *ONE* database?! I have several
:       databases open, and I'd need to close one of them, and leave
:       the others open. CLOSE DATABASE seems to do exactly the
:       same as CLOSE DATABASES - close ALL databases... ;(

:     ---------------------------------------------------------------------

:     ---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to close one database (say, MYDATA1), just select that area:

   SELECT MYDATA1,

then just type

   USE

Your database (just that one) will be closed.

P.S. It is still easier to close ALL DATABASES using one command. The
same way may be it would be easier for you to get a good FoxPro book and
not to "close" one obvious question after another, but kill them all at once.
--

CLOSING ONE DATABASE

Post by Allen J. Friedm » Thu, 26 May 1994 21:19:14

:       Thanks for all the replies!

:       The correct answer is to issue the command USE without any
:       parameters in the area where your has-to-be-closed database
:       relies. It's not like the most logical command, in my opinion.
:       Neither the index had any pointers to that command in the
:       TABLES, Close -section. Thanks once again!

The index entry 'Closing all files'  points to the entry for CLOSE DATABASES.
Reading that entry, I find a bold-faced 'See Also: Use'

CLOSING ONE DATABASE

Post by Weston Binfor » Thu, 26 May 1994 01:17:32

> If you want to close one database (say, MYDATA1), just select that area:

>    SELECT MYDATA1,

> then just type

>    USE

> Your database (just that one) will be closed.

You could also USE in the work area without SELECTing it:

        USE IN MYDATA1

Theoretically, this would take less time than making the work area active
and then
selecting it, but I'm not sure about the Foxpro implementation.

Weston Binford

CLOSING ONE DATABASE