PICK to PICK transfers

Post by Peter Cl;ayto » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 04:09:41

What software is there avaliable for PICK to PICK data transfer bothways?

Have been using InFolinke very successfully for years until we hit problems on an MvBase (vers. 1.3.02) system. It often throws GFE's with '..premature SM..' or 'invalid item count..' errors. we have not been able to find out why and, believe me, we've tried!

Are there any good alternatives?

PICK to PICK transfers

Post by Ed Sheeha » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 05:36:13

You'll hear a lot of suggestions. I have used wIntegrate with great sucess
over the years. Try http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/u2/tools/wintegrate/

Ed

Quote:

> What software is there avaliable for PICK to PICK data transfer bothways?

> Have been using InFolinke very successfully for years until we hit

problems on an MvBase (vers. 1.3.02) system. It often throws GFE's with
'..premature SM..' or 'invalid item count..' errors. we have not been able
to find out why and, believe me, we've tried!
Quote:

> Are there any good alternatives?

PICK to PICK transfers

Post by kevin zollinge » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 06:47:16

Quote:> You'll hear a lot of suggestions. I have used wIntegrate with great
> sucess over the years. Try
> http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/u2/tools/wintegrate/

> Ed

Before I toss out any suggestions, I need some more details:

1 - Is this a one time transfer or re-occuring?

2 - Is there a reason that you don't want to use the usuall stuff like ftp?

3 - What kind of data are you moving?

4 - Is this L/Unix, Windoze or both?

5 - Is this only MvBase to MvBase or are there other systems involved?

>> What software is there avaliable for PICK to PICK data transfer
>> bothways?

>> Have been using InFolinke very successfully for years until we hit
> problems on an MvBase (vers. 1.3.02) system. It often throws GFE's with
> '..premature SM..' or 'invalid item count..' errors. we have not been
> able to find out why and, believe me, we've tried!

>> Are there any good alternatives?

PICK to PICK transfers

Post by Jeffrey Kaufma » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 07:00:06

If you have not already done so, I would suggest calling Chuck Sables
602-973-4811 to see if he can fix / update your Infolinke.

I have used wIntegrate and Accuterm for Pick to Pick transfers. Both work
fine. I like Accuterm better because data transfers can be initiated from
tcl. I merged Pete's program into one of my own and use it to transfer
software updates to my customers.

As far as speed, Infolinke running over a modem is about 25% faster than
Accuterm over an Internet connection. I have not tried Accuterm over a
modem.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

--

Jeffrey Kaufman
Key Data Systems Group

Quote:

> What software is there avaliable for PICK to PICK data transfer bothways?

> Have been using InFolinke very successfully for years until we hit

problems on an MvBase (vers. 1.3.02) system. It often throws GFE's with
'..premature SM..' or 'invalid item count..' errors. we have not been able
to find out why and, believe me, we've tried!
Quote:

> Are there any good alternatives?

PICK to PICK transfers

Post by Doug Dumitr » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 08:06:18

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:09:41 GMT, "Peter Cl;ayton"

>What software is there avaliable for PICK to PICK data transfer bothways?

>Have been using InFolinke very successfully for years until we hit problems on an MvBase (vers. 1.3.02) system. It often throws GFE's with '..premature SM..' or 'invalid item count..' errors. we have not been able to find out why and, believe me, we've tried!

>Are there any good alternatives?

If you are looking for "programatic" communications between systems,
you should look at Coyote RPC Services (Remote Proceedure Call).  This
lets an application on one system call an external subroutine on
another system in real time bidirectionally passing parameters.

Some features include:

  o Cross platform compatibility among most mvDBMS platforms:
       D3, mvBase, AP/Pro, Mentor PRO, Sequoia PRO, Universe,
       Unidata (jBase coming soon)
  o Windows, Linux, AIX, SCO, HP, Native
  o Very fast transfers
       Nearly 100% of line speed for slow lines
       About 40% of line speed for T-1 circuits across the
         internet coast to coast (~75K/sec thruput)
       About 400K/sec on local networks
  o High strength encryption
      Encryption is shipping now for D3/NT and is coming soon to
      other platforms.
  o Transparent retry of network errors
  o Transparent use of failover network paths
  o Low-cost "unlimited use" licensing (not bandwidth licensed)

Coyote RPC services are built on top of the Coyote HTTP web server
engine.  This allows you to channel traffic thru all of the usual
TCP/IP web plumbing (routers, NAT, proxy serves, etc.).

Latency is quite low (generally less that 100ms unless the network is
quite slow) and the servers are very scalable able to take hundreds of
transactions per seconds.

Programming is very easy.  On the "called" side, you must:

  o Compile and catalog your subroutine so that it can be called
    from the PICLAN-IP account.
  o Enter a single control record in the subroutine telling the
    HTTP server that it can call your subroutine.
  o Your subroutine can have from 1 to 20 parameters.
  o The parameters can contain any data including dynamic
    arrays.
  o You however cannot ...
      Pass file or select variables
      Pass dimensioned arrays
      Pass data in COMMON

On the "calling" side, you can remotely call one of these subroutines
with a simple call from any account.  For example:

  o The remote system is named CENTRAL
  o The remote subroutine is named CHECK.STOCK
  o The remote subroutine has four parameters

You would call this subroutine with:

  CALL PLIP.CALL.RPC.4("CENTRAL CHECK.STOCK",RPC.ERR,P1,P2,P3,P4)

RPC.ERR will come back null if the call succeeded (and have an error
string if the remote system could not be reached).  P1, P2, P3, and P4
and the four parameters that will be passed to and from your
subroutine.

This is not really a file transfer function.  It is a real-time system
to system communications service that allows similar or disimilar
mvDBMS systems to interace over a local network, a corporate WAN, or
the internet.

More information is available at:

  http://coyote.modsoft.com

Doug Dumitru
EasyCo LLC
949 831-4774
http://easyco.com

1. Pick to Pick file transfers

I am looking for a good product to do Pick to Pick file transfers
between MvBase systems on Windows/NT. The program must have either
scripting capability or have basic subroutines to call for dialing, file
transfer (both ways), and remote command processing (to delete the file
on the remote system). The system are not in the same building and the
only access is modem.

Our prior versions (on ApPro) used Powercomm. But Powercomm will not run
on MvBase.

Rick Kann
Comp-Ware Systems

2. Making Runtimes without SDK!

3. Pick and Pick-like windows for dumb terminals

4. JOIN Or No JOIN

5. Problem in Share-Level to User-Level, VB6,Jet4

6. New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

7. XCMDs and FoxPro (Mac)

8. Pick to Oracle/Oracle to Pick

9. Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

10. PICK Conversion for a non-Pick programmer

11. Pick et Pick's Like en France

12. ** PICK ** TEXAS/OKLAHOMA ** PICK **