Word automation, which version ?

Post by Sturla Arnese » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:00:00

How to find out which one of Office 97 and Office 2000 is installed on the
user's computer ?

With office 97 i shall use

        oWord=createobject("Word.Basic")

and office 2000

        oWord=createobject("Word.Application")

I am familiar with the oWord.application.version property, but the
application object dosen't exist in office 97.

Thankfull for all help.

Sturla Arnesen

Word automation, which version ?

Post by Anders Altber » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:08:49

Hi Sturla
The sample Solutions.app has a demo form 'Get application information form
the Windows Registry', it's under 'Windows API' in the Solution app's menu.
The form is  ..\Solution\winapi\regfile.scx. Make sure you have set Tool -
Options - File locations - Samples Directory to point to the folder where
you have \classes\Registry.prg. This folder is HOME(2)and the form will look
for HOME(2)+"Classes\Registry.prg".
This form returns the application path and version if you enter an extension
like "DOC". In my case it found the right path, "c:\program files\microsoft
office\office\winword.exe" but because I have entries in the Registry for
both version 8.0 and 9.0 it returned the first one instead of the latest
one.
However, using the path information AGETFILEVERSION(array,c:\program
files\microsoft office\office\winword.exe) returned the exact version and
build in array(4), "9.0.2717".
What it all boils down to is this:
SET CLASSLIB TO HOME()+"FFC\Registry.vcx"
oReg=Create('filereg')
x = ""
y = ""

? x, y

-Anders

Quote:> How to find out which one of Office 97 and Office 2000 is installed on the
> user's computer ?

> With office 97 i shall use

>         oWord=createobject("Word.Basic")

> and office 2000

>         oWord=createobject("Word.Application")

> I am familiar with the oWord.application.version property, but the
> application object dosen't exist in office 97.

> Thankfull for all help.

> Sturla Arnesen

1. OLE Automation Error Experienced with Word 7.0 not with Word 6.0

I have developed an application with VB 3.0, Jet Engine 2.0 which uses Access
2.0. This application uses OLE to create a Word document. This application runs
under Windows 3.1 or Windows95 when using Word 6.0, however,when I try and run
it under Windows95 with Word 7.0 I get an OLE Automation Error "Microsoft Word
Err - 1016 There is not enough memory to complete the operation. Can anybody
give me some help with this because Microsoft sure can't!!! Thanks

2. DB2 XML Entender - Content() UDF

3. OLE Automation of Word Document from MSDE Table

4. ODBC -- Y?

5. Word Automation

6. FPW 2.6: procedures in .fxp files?

7. make a word/excel automation object visible ?

8. SQL too complex

9. Samples: OLE Automation and Access, Word, etc

10. Section Breaks - Automation w/Word

11. Word Automation

12. OLE Automation: How to load Word-Document from DAO

13. Word Automation & Bookmarks