secure offline backup: how?

Post by Bernhard Mand » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

we would like to do a scheduled backup every night but make sure that:

1.) no user is connected to the database during the backup
2.) no user is thrown out by the backup ( from time to time there are long
jobs running over the night)

We don't want to use continuous operation because normally the database is
not in use during the night, so an offline backup is perfectly sufficient.

1.) is easy, I can stop the Btrieve and PSQL engine before the backup and
start it again afterwards
2.) is my problem. Is it possible to check for active users of the Btrieve
and PSQL engine or do a conditional shutdown only if no user is connected
(or better: if no user has any table in use. If users forgot to log out they
should be thrown out if they have no tables in use)

any suggestions ?

thanks

--
Bernhard Mandl
Global Refund IT / Vienna

secure offline backup: how?

Post by enormu » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Bernhard, I understand your concern about making sure all users are
out of the system before performing a backup. However, your concern
about users being thrown out confuses me. From your post, I gather the
conditional shutdown you mention would be intended to delay or skip
the backup. Good backups are far more important than disconnected
users.

However, as an alternative, you might try Backup Exec's Btrieve
extension. I have seen it successfully backup files while users have
them open. Arcserve's DBAgent DOES NOT WORK for this purpose. Backup
Exec is the only program I know of that can do this.

Quote:> we would like to do a scheduled backup every night but make sure
that:

> 1.) no user is connected to the database during the backup
> 2.) no user is thrown out by the backup ( from time to time there
are long
> jobs running over the night)

> We don't want to use continuous operation because normally the
database is
> not in use during the night, so an offline backup is perfectly
sufficient.

> 1.) is easy, I can stop the Btrieve and PSQL engine before the
backup and
> start it again afterwards
> 2.) is my problem. Is it possible to check for active users of the
Btrieve
> and PSQL engine or do a conditional shutdown only if no user is
connected
> (or better: if no user has any table in use. If users forgot to log
out they
> should be thrown out if they have no tables in use)

> any suggestions ?

> thanks

> --
> Bernhard Mandl
> Global Refund IT / Vienna

secure offline backup: how?

Post by Bernhard Mand » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Do you know how Backup exec makes sure that the backup of the open file is
really usable ?

I generally don't trust tricky solutions.

thanks

Bernhard

> Bernhard, I understand your concern about making sure all users are
> out of the system before performing a backup. However, your concern
> about users being thrown out confuses me. From your post, I gather the
> conditional shutdown you mention would be intended to delay or skip
> the backup. Good backups are far more important than disconnected
> users.

> However, as an alternative, you might try Backup Exec's Btrieve
> extension. I have seen it successfully backup files while users have
> them open. Arcserve's DBAgent DOES NOT WORK for this purpose. Backup
> Exec is the only program I know of that can do this.

> > we would like to do a scheduled backup every night but make sure
> that:

> > 1.) no user is connected to the database during the backup
> > 2.) no user is thrown out by the backup ( from time to time there
> are long
> > jobs running over the night)

> > We don't want to use continuous operation because normally the
> database is
> > not in use during the night, so an offline backup is perfectly
> sufficient.

> > 1.) is easy, I can stop the Btrieve and PSQL engine before the
> backup and
> > start it again afterwards
> > 2.) is my problem. Is it possible to check for active users of the
> Btrieve
> > and PSQL engine or do a conditional shutdown only if no user is
> connected
> > (or better: if no user has any table in use. If users forgot to log
> out they
> > should be thrown out if they have no tables in use)

> > any suggestions ?

> > thanks

> > --
> > Bernhard Mandl
> > Global Refund IT / Vienna

secure offline backup: how?

Post by enormu » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Sorry, I can't say for sure. But I do have quite a few clients using
this solution on NT without issue. Maybe Backup Exec could give you a
better answer.

> Do you know how Backup exec makes sure that the backup of the open
file is
> really usable ?

> I generally don't trust tricky solutions.

> thanks

> Bernhard

> > Bernhard, I understand your concern about making sure all users
are
> > out of the system before performing a backup. However, your
concern
> > about users being thrown out confuses me. From your post, I gather
the
> > conditional shutdown you mention would be intended to delay or
skip
> > the backup. Good backups are far more important than disconnected
> > users.

> > However, as an alternative, you might try Backup Exec's Btrieve
> > extension. I have seen it successfully backup files while users
have
> > them open. Arcserve's DBAgent DOES NOT WORK for this purpose.
Backup
> > Exec is the only program I know of that can do this.

> > > we would like to do a scheduled backup every night but make sure
> > that:

> > > 1.) no user is connected to the database during the backup
> > > 2.) no user is thrown out by the backup ( from time to time
there
> > are long
> > > jobs running over the night)

> > > We don't want to use continuous operation because normally the
> > database is
> > > not in use during the night, so an offline backup is perfectly
> > sufficient.

> > > 1.) is easy, I can stop the Btrieve and PSQL engine before the
> > backup and
> > > start it again afterwards
> > > 2.) is my problem. Is it possible to check for active users of
the
> > Btrieve
> > > and PSQL engine or do a conditional shutdown only if no user is
> > connected
> > > (or better: if no user has any table in use. If users forgot to
log
> > out they
> > > should be thrown out if they have no tables in use)

> > > any suggestions ?

> > > thanks

> > > --
> > > Bernhard Mandl
> > > Global Refund IT / Vienna

secure offline backup: how?

Post by Bernhard Mand » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

thanks, I wil check with them

Bernhard

> Sorry, I can't say for sure. But I do have quite a few clients using
> this solution on NT without issue. Maybe Backup Exec could give you a
> better answer.

> > Do you know how Backup exec makes sure that the backup of the open
> file is
> > really usable ?

> > I generally don't trust tricky solutions.

> > thanks

> > Bernhard

> > > Bernhard, I understand your concern about making sure all users
> are
> > > out of the system before performing a backup. However, your
> concern
> > > about users being thrown out confuses me. From your post, I gather
> the
> > > conditional shutdown you mention would be intended to delay or
> skip
> > > the backup. Good backups are far more important than disconnected
> > > users.

> > > However, as an alternative, you might try Backup Exec's Btrieve
> > > extension. I have seen it successfully backup files while users
> have
> > > them open. Arcserve's DBAgent DOES NOT WORK for this purpose.
> Backup
> > > Exec is the only program I know of that can do this.

> > > that:

> there
> > > are long

> > > database is
> > > sufficient.

> > > backup and
> the
> > > Btrieve
> > > connected
> log
> > > out they

secure offline backup: how?

Post by Bill Bac » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Obviously, based on the issue #2 below, an offline backup is NOT sufficient.

Continuous operations has little to no overhead, and works flawlessly (as long
as you have the 6.15.430 or later engine).  It will cover both issues.  Of
course, if no users are in the system, nobody will be the wiser, and the system
will enter continuous operations, do the backup, then exit without incident.  If
users are in, thy'll continue to work just fine anyway.

Of course, an Open File Manager (available from St. Bernard, CA, or others) will
also do the trick, but the files have to be configured in GROUP mode -- linking
them as a backup set.  This will work for 99% of your backups, but some problems
can occur because it is asynchronous with the database engine.  Continuous
operations should work 100% of the time.

See my article from Btrieve Developers Journal at:
http://www.goldstarsoftware.com/bdj.htm
 Goldstar Software Inc.
 Building on Btrieve(R) for the Future(SM)
 Bill Bach

 www.goldstarsoftware.com
 *** Btrieve/Pervasive.SQL Service & Support Class ***
 June 9-11, 1999
 *** Pervasive.SQL Programming Class ***
 June 23-25, 1999
 See our web site for full details!

> we would like to do a scheduled backup every night but make sure that:

> 1.) no user is connected to the database during the backup
> 2.) no user is thrown out by the backup ( from time to time there are long
> jobs running over the night)

> We don't want to use continuous operation because normally the database is
> not in use during the night, so an offline backup is perfectly sufficient.

1. backup permissions? device error or device offline

Hello,
I new to SQL server, and cannot figure how to resolve the following:
SQL-DMO (ODBC error 42000) Device error or device offline. Cannot open
Backup device 'D:\SQL Backups\pubs.bak'
I am using enterprise manager SQL2000 on a Windows NT 4.0 workstation,
and am attempting to backup a database using SQL*Server 2000 on a
remote Win 2000 server.
"D:\SQL Backups" does exist on the remote server, and the lan
administrator created a share for it (named  \\servername\sqlbu ), so
that I can copy the backups to my local development server.
I think the problems lies because he removed all permissions to the
shared backup folder, other than my \\domain\ntloginname and the
domain administrators.

I recall reading in Neil Pike's FAQ that SQL server as default runs
under some local name that does not have permission to access shares.
Does this apply even to "local" shared folders?

Also, what is the exact NT name under which SQL server runs, and if I
add permissions for this username to the shared folder, should
everything work OK?

Thanks in advance
Sebastian

2. US-OR-Java Developer

3. Backup failing?? (device offline)

4. Changing form's detail tables from OPAL

5. SQL revcovery with offline backup files

6. SQL 6.5 Integrated Security??

7. Offline backup

8. backup offline

9. Offline Backups

10. SQL Server 2000: Transaction Logs and Offline Backups ?

11. SQL 7.0 - backup device offline

12. online vs offline backup