NT Server and FPW 2.6

Post by BigTinL » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I hope somebody can help me, since I am not real familiar with NT 4.0
Server.  I have had a multi user Foxpro 2.6 application running for a client
for the last two years.  It has been on a Netware 3.12 network and has
worked fine.  They decided, for some idiotic reason, that they had to
upgrade to NT 4.0 Server.  When they moved the application to the new
server, the Foxpro app. was taking about five minutes to open all the
databases when the program started.  It also takes forever to do a query, or
anything that accesses or works on the databases.  They are on my case about
something being wrong with the program.  From all I have read, the
application should be running just fine on NT.

The new server is a 300Mhz Pentium II with 384 MB of RAM.  It should fly.
The guy who installed the NT box said he installed it with the defaults.

Can somebody give me some clues as to why the data access might be so slow
on NT?

NT Server and FPW 2.6

Post by Andrew Forb » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Can somebody give me some clues as to why the data access might be so slow
>on NT?

Here's one idea (though it's something of a shot in the dark): NT has
a setting that can reduce a lot of programs to a crawl. Open Control
panel, open the Network applet, and look at the properties of the
Server service. Make sure it's set to "Optimize for Network
Applications". If it's set to optimize memory use for file-sharing
applications all of your applications will run out of memory or be
page-faulted to death, while the system maintains a disk cache that
takes up practically all of your RAM. This change has sped things up
drastically for my apps at a couple of client locations.

Good luck!

------------
Remove both s's from my email address to respond directly

NT Server and FPW 2.6

Post by taylo.. » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I hope somebody can help me, since I am not real familiar with NT 4.0
>Server.  I have had a multi user Foxpro 2.6 application running for a client
>for the last two years.  It has been on a Netware 3.12 network and has
>worked fine.  They decided, for some idiotic reason, that they had to
>upgrade to NT 4.0 Server.  When they moved the application to the new
>server, the Foxpro app. was taking about five minutes to open all the
>databases when the program started.  It also takes forever to do a query, or
>anything that accesses or works on the databases.  They are on my case about
>something being wrong with the program.  From all I have read, the
>application should be running just fine on NT.

>The new server is a 300Mhz Pentium II with 384 MB of RAM.  It should fly.
>The guy who installed the NT box said he installed it with the defaults.

>Can somebody give me some clues as to why the data access might be so slow
>on NT?

Are you by change running McAfee virus scan on Win95 workstations on
your network? When we installed it my FP2.6 app (several 100 users, 4
locations in 2 states over a WAN) which had worked OK  on Banyan and
quite well on NT dropped dead.  It seems that McAfee was scanning each
data file when it was opened!  By excluding .dbf .fpt and .cdx files
from the scan fixed it.

Drop me a note if you want to discuss some other ideas.

Ken Taylor

1. FPW 2.6 Query Page Preview with NT 4.0

I am running NT 4.0 Workstation as my OS. When I do a query in Foxpro and
wish to do a Page Preview before printing out, the print is so small that I
am unable to read it even when I zoom in. I have opened the Report and
change the font size, but it seems the font size in Page Preview is fixed. I
have had no problem with this when Win95.  Can anyone give me any clues as
to how I might be able to properly view the report in Page Preview. Thanks.
Jack

2. Pooling DB references in out-of-process server

3. GPF printing FPW 2.6 on-the-fly report in NT 4.0

4. Using DTS to move data from a SQl-Server 6.5 DB (Newbie question)

5. FPW 2.6 Setup Wizard and NT 4.0

6. PC Week Analyst's Choice - ANNOUNCING SQL-PROGRAMMER 2.VIII

7. FPW 2.6 and Winword 97 under NT

8. Set field and find mode

9. FPW 2.6 on NT 4.0?

10. Are you using NT Workstation and FPW 2.6?

11. FPW 2.6 and NT 4.0 - watch out!

12. FPW 2.6 / Windows NT - slow printing

13. Display problem FPW 2.6 under NT